Home
How fast can I run these, I will be using them on mulies blacktails and bears. I hunt mostly the west of the Cascades here in Washington, pretty dense in certain areas.
All inputs will be appreciated.
Scott
Shot em from hornady in their light mag offering at a proclaimed 31000 fps and never had one come apart in hogs or deer, great bullet for the money.
Not hardly at 31,000 fps, not even 3100fps. 58gr of H4831 is max and will get you an honest 2900-2950 but no more at least not safely. That is enough to do whatever needs to be done.
I agree with the 2,900+ fps comments. This bullet carries & performs well at longer distances. Another plain jane bullet that will get the job done with boring reliability. I would not hesitate to use it on mulies or black bear.
you can get over 3000 safely with a longer barrel, or go with the wsm or weatherby wink
Sorry for the astronomical type-o meant 3100, as I said proclaimed, as in by the box. I never ran them over a chronograph, the box may have said 3050 and I rounded up not too sure.
I have used these in the lightmags at 3100 fps (chronied) as well as handloads in 2900-3000 fps range off and on for years. Never shot a bear with one, but a good many deer and they work well up close and far away.

Lou
They did in fact chronograph at 3100?
I loaded them for years over 58 grains of RL22 in two different 24" rifles. WW cases and F210 primers. One gave 3020 fps, the other 3060. Not quite as accurate as H4831 but 50-75 fps faster.

They're not the bullet to use if you want to brag about 100% weight retention. But on any deer at any angle, the few you will recover will be balled up under the hide on the far side. It's a fantastic deer load.
I was looking at trying the 140 grain Sierra HP this season....need to chronograph it, but had some great accuracy with the 140 grain ballistic tips over 48 grains of 4064...
the 140g Hornady is NOT a fragile bullet, don't be afraid to stomp on the gas.
My brother shot them for years in his .270 because the 130s damaged a lot of meat. So, no it isn't fragile.
Originally Posted by keith

Been my experience too.
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
They did in fact chronograph at 3100?
Yes. Multiple times. However, they have replaced the lightmag line with SuperPerformance that is also listed at around 3100 fps, but loaded with 140 SST and I have never tried this.

Lou
Good deal. the lightmags were always my favorite factory hunting load and they performed well at the range, just got into handloading and left those behind.
57.8gn of H4831 SC with Remington Brass and Magnum primers gets me about 2920 from my Tikka M65 in 270 and groups are nice and tight. Try Magnum primers, but please start down the line a bit and work your way up as while this load may be fine in my rifle it may do horrible things in yours.
Take accuracy over velocity if it come to that, unless yo are lucky enough to be able to have them both.
rob
The same load of 57.8 of H4831 and magnum primers prints into less than a half inch at 115 meters for 5 shots with the Sierra 140's. Velocity is 2900'ish over a chrono
I don't know if the Sierra is a tougher bullet than the Hornady, but it sure gets the job done!
My Tikka likes just about anything 130gn with 58 Gn of H4831 or 53.5gn of H4350 and magnum primers. Pretty much everything will print into at least an inch at 115 meters, but Sierras go into around a third of an inch for 5 shots.
57.8 of H 4831 seems to work with most things 140gn in the same rifle. Accuracy goes from itsy-bitsy holes to around one and a quarter inches at 115 meters.
Once you find a load it shoots well with one projectile, try the same with others.You may be pleasantly surprised
rob
byd,

IMHO, the Hornady's are in a class of their own when it come to cup and core bullets. That being said, I've run them fast from a .280 and 7 SAUM and slower from a 7-08. Since you will be hunting in the thick stuff, I'd not worry about velocity as they work very well in wide range of impact velocities. Focus on making the most load and go kill some deer!!!

CLB
I've used Hornady Interlocks in a 7x57 for years. 154 gr at about 2600fps. The deer die if they're 50 ft or 300 yds away.

Last year I tried the 140 BTSP Interlock in a 270 WSM at around 3150 fps.
The bullet held together at 130 yds and did the trick again at 240 yds.

They are a great all around bullet that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Dan
i've chronographed the, now discontinued, 140gr light mags and they did in fact go just over 3100fps out of a 24" barrel. with imr4831 i can get 3000fps, but h4831 at 2900-2950 seems to be more accurate.

I suppose it depends on how you define fragile. Here is a pic of a recovered 140gn Hornady Interlock shot from a 270WSM at a muzzle velocity of 3000fps (69gn of H1000) Despite its appearance it performed well on a big crusty hog.

[Linked Image]
It's kind of hard to see from the picture, but it looks like there's a decent amount of shank left in that bullet under the mushroom. How far away was that hog when you popped him?

I actually just bought a box of these 140's. My cousin drew a Utah mule deer tag and I'm going to load up 50 for him. I'm going to load the other 50 for myself. My .270 is sighted in for 140gr TSXs right now, mainly because I carried this as back up for an elk hunt last year (and ended up using it to drop a 6x6). Since elk tags are few and far between for me, I want a load that will take care of everything else and not break the bank.

Now...where to start...4350, 4831 or RL22? Those are the powders I have in stock - I think I have more 22 than anything, so maybe will go there first.
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Not hardly at 31,000 fps, not even 3100fps. 58gr of H4831 is max and will get you an honest 2900-2950 but no more at least not safely. That is enough to do whatever needs to be done.

Agree with the last sentence, but 3050-100 is safely doable in a 270 with 140s with the right powders, ie 4831, R-22, etc, in a 24" bbl.
H4831 with a Fed 215 in the 270 with this 140 is a sack of hell on deer.

Dingo, I bet that hog had a lot of caked on mud to make that bullet come apart like that.

The 150g Hornady Sp is even tougher yet, too tough for deer for my likings. I shot through two does standing side by side and the 150 never slowed down.

I shoot the 130's Sp flat base due to the accuracy that my rifle gives with this bullet. Rifles like what they like.

Dingo, I bet that hog had a lot of caked on mud to make that bullet come apart like that.

More than likely it hit heavy bone.
I also prefer the 130 SP flat base over the 140 btsp. The 130's have been the more accurate of the two for me.
My M70FW shoots the 130 Interlock (flat base) best, but my Ruger M77 prefers the 140 Interlock (BTSP), here is my load:
W-W cases
WIN WLR primer
Hornady 140 BTSP (Interlock)
57.0 grains H4831sc
Velocity ranges from 2810 fps to 2835 fps from the 22" Ruger barrel, with the Beta Master Chrony set at 10' from the muzzle.
This round shoots from 3/4" to 7/8" (three shot groups) @ 100 yards in my Ruger.
Originally Posted by Odessa
My M70FW shoots the 130 Interlock (flat base) best, but my Ruger M77 prefers the 140 Interlock (BTSP), here is my load:
W-W cases
WIN WLR primer
57.0 grains H4831sc
Velocity ranges from 2810 fps to 2835 fps from the 22" Ruger barrel, with the Beta Master Chrony set at 10' from the muzzle.
This round shoots from 3/4" to 7/8" (three shot groups) @ 100 yards in my Ruger.

Now Bruce, you know that "slow and inaccurate load" will bounce off any of our eastern NC deer. You must be ashamed laugh.
FWIW, I know a guy who owns an outfitting service in east NC. He has many rifles, at least a couple in 270. His 270 load is Hornady custom (non ligh mag) 140gr BTSP. He has killed more deer than I'll likely see and at distances reported that I won't quote here. Bottomline, apparently (at least on deer) the 140 BTSP is a great bullet near and far.
it was fast enough and big enough for me to bag a 6x6 bull elk a few seasons ago
Originally Posted by High_Brass
Originally Posted by Odessa
W-W cases
WIN WLR primer
57.0 grains H4831sc

Now Bruce, you know that "slow and inaccurate load" will bounce off any of our eastern NC deer. You must be ashamed laugh.

Quite right you are Chad - to my dying shame I must admit I have to leap on the brutes and finish them off with my trusty Bowie Knife!
Had a Hart barreled .270 years ago (23" barrel). It's favorite load was 59gr H4831 behind the 140gr Hornadfy BTSP (a HOT load) that averaged 3076fps MV and .65" @ 100yds. Killed many whitetails and a spike Elk with it. Never recovered one of those bullets and all the exit wounds were about 2" across. One of the most effective combos I have ever used.

Definitely need to work up to it though. Might atomize somebody elses rifle...

John
I am loading the 140 BTSP over 58.0 of H4831SC, for my 270. My plan is to use it on my Idaho bighorn sheep hunt here in about 50 days. I will report back the results, I hope...
Two years ago I used this bullet and 4831 sc in my Tikka on a cow elk hunt. I was getting just over 2900 fps. I used to use the 150s, both of my Ruger 270s liked them a little better, but the Tikka seemed to prefer the 140s.

Anyway, I was out with a guy I'd just met and we were helping an older guy. HThe older guy shot first at 288 and gut shot a calf. (He was old enough he was shaky and having a hard time.) I shot aand it dropped at the shot.

Then I shot a big cow. She reared straight up and fell on her back.

The other guy I was with shot three times. I saw one of them hit way low and left. He only had the three in his magazine, so I handed him my rifle. One shot and his went straight down.

My elk's bullet was under the skin on the far side. It had broken the near shoulder and was a perfect mushroom. I have it in a box and could go weigh it. I think it was just under 100. The other two bullets went through.

Like all of the interlocks I've shot, I've been impressed with them. That was three cows in less than a minute.

This is not a good hunting story, (I haven't been out with those guys again) but the bullets did well.

Well, given all of the favorable comments in this thread about Hornady's 140 BTSP, I bought a box tonight.

I think I'll try them out of a Pre-64 Model 70 and see how well they shoot and how fast they go.

I'll probably start with H-4831 SC. My lot of RL-22 shoots very accurately but doesn't seem to chronograph as high as some reports I've seen. Ditto for RL-19, I get higher velocity from IMR-4831, for some reason.
Odds are, that where you are starting, is gonna be right around the "sweet spot." You have the makings of a fine, time tested, and effective, hunting combination.
Im with you Jocko, Im currently running two .270 wins and ones already sighted for my 110 Accubond load. Ive been troubling myself over another load for the other rifle as I wanted to try two new bullets. Not now, believe Im gonna stick with the Interlock.
The first mule deer I shot with this bullet loaded to 3000 fps hit directly in front of the left foreleg about 4 inches above the belly line, and exited just in back of the right foreleg. The shreaded jacket was found in the hair at the exit hole, which was the size of a silver dollar. Range was about 65 yards. I switched to Nosler bonded bullets after this, and never had a bullet come apart since.
WYLD
57.6 re 19 around 3100 fps @ 90 degrees

killed at least 10 deer and sold the rifle the fella that bought it killed 12 with it last year same load

it works
Glad I found this old thread, I just loaded up 56, 57 & 58 grains of h4831 with this bullet for my 270.
I use 58.0 gr h4831 cci 200 with this bullets I was getting 2960 out of my model 70
© 24hourcampfire