Home
Posted By: kallen The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
I've been digging into my reloading for the up coming season. Looking at the reloading bench there are all types of bullets and powders to make some type of prescription for an Elk this year with my 270 WSM.

Looking at the bullets I have 140 grain TSX, 140 grain Accubonds, 150 grain Interbond, Interlocks, and 150 grain Partitions. Yeah any of them would do but I get into the more detailed stuff and try to pick out the most efficient to work up a load for. Lately I've been thinking again on the 160 grain partition. Last year I just couldn't see any advantage because the BC was low and with the velocity loss it didn't seem to make much sense over the others.

The one thing that it did have was a sectional density of .298!, the highest in the whole 270 line up.

I started looking into what this meant. I found that bullets with higher sectional densities are known for deeper penetration with all things equal. So if we are seeking a bullet for big game this could be another specification to take into consideration. I read an article that bullets above .279 in sectional density are desired.

I looked up the sectional densities of the bullets I have and then compared the Ballistic Coefficient. I know a lot of people don't think much of the .270 as a big game cartridge but I found that the Nosler Partition 150 and 160 grain bullets are .279 and .298 in sectional density.

I think I am going to work up the 150 grain partition this year. The BC isn't so bad, the sectional density is great, it's a flat base which usually gives a little more velocity/efficiency, and the partition has lived through all the years for one reason or another.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
LUCK
Posted By: keith Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
Tripple shock is all you need to know.
Posted By: mathman Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
I found that bullets with higher sectional densities are known for deeper penetration with all things equal.
emphasis added

Problem is, they usually aren't.
Posted By: nitis Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
ok what is the anticipated distance of the shot? I Fit is over 350 then maybe worry about the numbers if not use teh biggest heaviest slug you got
Posted By: denton Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
Mathman nailed it. The change caused by a middling difference in sectional density is probably much smaller than the change wrought by what kind of tissue the bullet meets. It's probably a second order effect.

Any good bullet will work well under most normal circumstances.

If your intended impact speed is in excess of 2800 FPS, choose a premium bullet such as the AccuBond, Partition, or other fine bullet to ensure the bullet will hang together on impact.

Again, if your intended impact speed is less than 2100 FPS choose a premium bullet or a Hornady spire point to ensure that the bullet will reliably open. The spire point and most premium bullets open down to 1800 FPS.

If you don't fall into one of those special cases, whatever you have handy that gives good accuracy will probably work about as well as anything you could shoot.

I'm fond of AccuBonds, mostly because I got a great deal on a bunch of them. There are lots of good choices that will work.

I don't shoot a 270, but I do have a 7x57 which is almost its ballistic twin. FWIW, I really like 160/162 grain bullets in that, and drive them to 2750 FPS at a measured 56 KPSI peak.
Posted By: DEER_ASSASSIN Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
170 gn speer rn
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/29/10
There are all sorts of good .270-caliber elk bullets these days, but I have seen quite a few elk (and even some moose) taken with the 150 Nosler Partition and it will flat do the job.
I like the 140 NAB
Posted By: mmgravy Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/30/10
If the 150 partition doesn't do the job, it likely isn't the bullet's fault.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/30/10
Barnes TSX 130gr and up.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/30/10
Pretty hard to find anyone who has actually used the 150 Partition that was disappointed.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/30/10
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Pretty hard to find anyone who has actually used the 150 Partition that was disappointed.

+++
Posted By: 65BR Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/30/10
Denton, I ran 160/162s at 2860 in a 7mag for less recoil and meat damage, nice load in your Rigby.

If I were picking a bullet for the 270, I'd start with these:

140 NAB
TTSX - not sure if in 140, but anything from 120-140.

Nothing wrong with a partition.
No flies on the 150 Partition but I'd take a serious look at the 150 NorthFork. I haven't tried 'em in either of my 27 cal. rifles yet but they do perform in my .338. I've found them slightly more accurate and maintain weight better in that .338.
More expensive but then, again, you're not gonna want to shoot a box at the range.
Bear in Fairbanks
Posted By: the_shootist Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
The best 270 bullet should have a diameter of 0.308" and have 30-06 Springfield stamped on the head of the case. grin (all other things being equal, of course.) wink
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
For the moose hunt this year am going to leave my .338 home and take my .270 WSM. A few days ago shooting 150gr. Hornadys they were going into .75" at 200 yards. Have loaded some 150 partitions up for trial as soon as the temperatures drop a bit.

Past experience with the 150 partitions in the regular .270 have proved they will do the job. The majority of my moose were taken with this load and caliber.

Jim
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
130 tsx or ttsx flat accurate and will knock them down. YMMV
Posted By: Allan S. Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
Loaded 50 cases today. 130 gr. TSX over 54 gr of 100v hybrid.
That load may kill a black tail or even a bear. May be a little rough on a bobcat.
Posted By: Allan S. Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
130 gr. partitions will kill an elk.
Allan
Posted By: BobinNH Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
Originally Posted by kallen

........ I know a lot of people don't think much of the .270 as a big game cartridge....

...........I think I am going to work up the 150 grain partition this year. The BC isn't so bad, the sectional density is great, it's a flat base which usually gives a little more velocity/efficiency, and the partition has lived through all the years for one reason or another.

Ignore them......

Talk about damning with faint praise!!! grin

Of the bullets listed I'd take the 150 Partition every time.With it you can ignore all the slipstick BS about SD,etc. Construction is more important,and the 150 Partition is a proven performer on all kinds of BG.

Posted By: southtexas Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
"the slipstick BS"

hadn't heard that term in a while. A younger crowd would likely not know what you are referring to. grin
ST: Ok........Computer generated ballistic table "BS"...that any better? LOL! grin
Posted By: David_Walter Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
140 grain Hornady boat tailed spire point. At 270 velocities, I don't think you need a partition, but that is just me.
David I just don't know myself as I have never used that Hornady... smile
Posted By: heavywalker Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
"Best" bullet is subjective. the way I try and look at it is break it down by range.

With the 270win I would say that for shots on game under 400ish yards the 150 Partition wins out IMO

For long range shots the 150 SST or the 150 VLD.

For all around bullet both short and long range it is hard to beat the 140grn AB IMO. YMMV
Posted By: boomtube Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 08/31/10
Sectional density?

You do understand that SD is the same for any bullet of a given diameter and weight, regardless of construction? Meaning a Hornady 140 gr. .270 bullet with a thin jacket, hollow point and soft core has the same SD as a solid copper Barnes of the same specs ... but they sure as smell won't penatrate the same!
Posted By: Brute Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/01/10
Top 3 choices in order -1)150gr Partition, -2)150grPartition, -3)150gr Partition !!
Posted By: tack Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/04/10
The heaviest Barnes TTSX that will generate at least 2700 fps MV
Posted By: ou76 Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/04/10
All I have ever used is the 130 Nosler Partition backed by 61 grains of 4831 and Fed 215s...with this load I have killed deer, sheep,goats,elk, moose and antelope...seems to work just fine...
Posted By: ou76 Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/04/10
oops...forgot...it also puts down caribou and free ranging aoudads down with authority too!!
Posted By: CLB Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
Another nod for the 150 Partition.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10

There's the 150 gr Partition, and then there is everything else..........

...like, the 160 gr Partition........

Casey
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
Originally Posted by kallen
The BEST .270 bullet

The one you have loaded when the 350 bull steps out broadside at 100 yards..................

MM
Posted By: dave7mm Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
The 270 110g GS-HV.
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/02hv.html

Mine runs 3384fps out of a 24 inch Hart,270 WCF.
58g of N204
CCI
Win case.

dave
Posted By: Prwlr Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by fishdog52

+++

++++
I don't reload, YET. Best factory ammo I have shot from my .270 is the Winchester Supreme Elite XP3. It groups better out of my 700 CDL than the Remington Core-lokts, Fusion, and Federal Vital Shok (Nosler Partition) and of the four Elk I have shot with this rifle/ammo none of the elk have walked, let alone run. Of course one was shot at about 10 yards right in the ear. The other three, I recovered two bullets (I can post pictures of one I kept) in the hide on the opposite side hide. Distances were about 10 yards (no bullet), 80 yards (recovered bullet after hitting a rib deflecting up through the lungs and hit high on the opposite rib (shot was at an uphill angle from a creek bed), and the other two were at 200 and 250 yards down in a field from sitting on a ridge. The last two, one was a pass through and the other we found the bullet in the hide opposite the entry hole after it hit the opposite side rib. None of the Elk here walked or ran here. My dad was asonished at the performance on the 200 and 250 yard shots but he has reloaded and shot sierra game kings my whole life in his 30.06. The bullets recovered were expanded perfectly and retained (my guess) 85-90% weight.

Just adding some real world experience on a factory load to consider if reloading isn't an option.
Posted By: Marcus Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
I don't load for the .270 WSM, but I do load for .270 Win as well as the .270 Wby. I use 130's in the 270 Win for deer and antelope, mostly Sierras, but when I use it for larger game, I too use the 150 gr Nosler Partition. The Weatherby gets a steady diet of 140 gr TSX's. I have found only one TSX out of the Weatherby, it was in a 500 pound hog that I shot head on at 185 yards. I found it in one of it's hind quarters, it had shed all of it's petals, all that was left was just the base. That hog only rolled over and kicked a few times. No doubt that would pass through an elk or anything of a similar nature. Maybe next year after this hunting season I may try a .270 WSM just for fun. I have had good luck with the rest of the WSM's.
Good Luck on Elk hunting!
Good shooting,
Marcus.
Originally Posted by HighCountyHunter
I don't reload, YET. Best factory ammo I have shot from my .270 is the Winchester Supreme Elite XP3.

While there's any number of bullets I like for different purposes, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Partition fan, I have to say I've been very impressed with XP3 performance in the 150-grain bullet in 300 WSM. Haven't tried XP3 in 270 yet -- will have to make a point to do so.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
Pretty close to daves choice of 110GS.

I run the 110TTSX at 3375fps with a load of H4350 and get equal or more penetration than I have seen with the 150partition. Dont get me wrong, Im not dogging on the partition, I have to use leadfree and used the 150partion as the standard to compare it to and was very impressed. It also helps that the 110Vmax has an almost identical point of impact to 500 yards and makes for a great practice round.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/06/10
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
Pretty close to daves choice of 110GS.

I run the 110TTSX at 3375fps with a load of H4350 and get equal or more penetration than I have seen with the 150partition. Dont get me wrong, Im not dogging on the partition, I have to use leadfree and used the 150partion as the standard to compare it to and was very impressed. It also helps that the 110Vmax has an almost identical point of impact to 500 yards and makes for a great practice round.

Most people have a problem thinking a 110g bullet will out penatrate a 150g.
They shoot flat to practical distances and hit hard.

dave
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Originally Posted by HighCountyHunter
I don't reload, YET. Best factory ammo I have shot from my .270 is the Winchester Supreme Elite XP3.

While there's any number of bullets I like for different purposes, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Partition fan, I have to say I've been very impressed with XP3 performance in the 150-grain bullet in 300 WSM. Haven't tried XP3 in 270 yet -- will have to make a point to do so.

Forgot to mention I shoot the 150 grain. crazy
Posted By: Backroads Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/07/10
Another vote for the 140 btsp Interlock.
Posted By: kallen Re: The BEST .270 bullet - 09/12/10
I went to the range today with 6 cartridges topped with 150 grain Ballistic Tip and another 6 cartridges with the 150 grain Partition. I had them loaded with 69 grains of Retumbo to see how the powder was going to be for accuracy.

My first round was OK...I think my body wasn't aligned well.
[Linked Image]

The second round was a little better...after repositioning my bench rest and rear bag. The 150 grain Partition might work?
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire