Home
Any guesses or first hand info on how this bullet would work in this round? This bullet is the only reason I want some sort of 6.5. Also how does the x55 version stack up against the 6.5/06 in terms of velocity?
Does any one currently chamber the 6.5 rem mag?
The Swedes are usually twisted fast enough to handle these bullets just fine. The 160 Hornady seems to hold up well to Swede speeds as well. I have used this bullet on several caribou, only recovering one:

[Linked Image]

It was a(n unecessary) follow-up shot lengthwise which stopped it.
I think the old swede and the 160 grain roundnose are a perfect match for big game. It won't win any speed contests but it doesn't really need to. I get excellent accuracy with this round and get around 2,500 ft/sec. As it compares to the 6.5/06, the 6.5x55 is up to a couple hundred ft/sec slower. As for 6.5 Rem Mag Remington at one time chambered it in the 600? I think but can't think of any current producers. There's also the 6.5 -284 or the 260 to choose from too. For me, I'm with Kliktarik - the 6.5x55 works better than most give it credit for and would be my choice.
I've spent most of my time with the 160 Sierra and 156 Norma Alaska. Both have worked exceptionally well and I see no reason the Hornady won't also be excellent, I've got a couple of hundred in the basement
About 20 years ago, I used a Winchester 70 FWT in 6.5x55 and 156 grain Norma factory ammo to kill several head of plains game in Botswana. All of the animals were dead after 1 shot and only the Eland stood around long enough to collect 3 bullets, all of which would have been individually fatal, just that Elands are big animals that take some killing before they'll admit to being headed for the wall and the kitchen. I can't see how the 160 grain Hornadys wouldn't work well, but I like a little more speed, so I mostly shoot 140 grain Partitions in my sporterized Swedish Mausers and Norwegian Krag.

Jeff
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post1481504

Scroll down to the table and compare. I'd say it'll do very well for what it's designed for, not a 400-500 yd bullet, but inside say 300, a VERY respectable job if you aim well!

Look at all the dimensions, not JUST penetration. Frontal area was one of the highest, combined w/great penetration, and good retention. Surely it has a strong chance of going thru whatever needed to get to vitals, and do a good amount of damage along it's course!

I have a box and want to compare to some Norma 155.9s of mine.
Thanks for all the input guys. I remember when I was 16(long time ago) the old Canadian ammo firm called "Imperial" had a picture showing all their ammo in a line and one was a funny looking cartridge called 6.5x55. The bullet (160 gr)was almost as long as the case it was sticking out of. I always wanted one based on that photo,but bought all sorts of magnums. Now at 42 the smaller rounds have more shooting appeal to me than the magnums. A Tikka or Ruger in 6,5 would fit my collection nicely to say the least and be alot nicer to shoot then the magnums.
For 303 British fans I can remember buying 303 ammo loaded with 215 gr round nose bullets from Imperial. I wish they were still around.
I shoot Hornady 160 grain RN bullets (RL-22 powder) out of my .264/06 (6.5/06)
and it likes em a bunch. I shoot 3/4 to 1-inch groups most of the time from the bench with this load and it penetrates a ton. Velocity with this bullet is around 2700fps give or take a few feet.

I also use that Hornady 129 grain bullet and it shoots very good also. Velocity is close to 3000fps using H-4831 powder and groups are in the .650 to .885 range on a good day from the bench. However for coyotes, I have gone to the 100 grain bullet V-MAX (H-4350 powder) as shots are seldom over 200 yards. Velocity is 3300fps and it shoots .685-MOA.

We are working on the 140 grain bullet but haven't come up with a good accurate load as of yet with the Hornady SST or A-MAX bullet.

257STEW - Also check out the CZ line of rifles - they offer the Swede in both the 550 American and the 550 full stock. They are excellent rifles for the money.
Will do. the CZ is one rifle I would like. If they are the same $ a Tikka I think I would take the T3 first. However maybe the people here at the campfire can start a CZ vs. T3 debate and change my mind.LOL
Not owned a CZ, though respect them. The T3 no doubt has a slick action, crisp light trigger and a Sako bbl....and they SHOOT by all reports - esp. in 6.5x55, though heard good reports on the CZ as well.

T3s have a 1 in 8 twist, preferred for the longest of bullets. The CZ may have an 8.7" twist IIRC or close to that - not sure how they spin 160s. They may do fine, but don't know. The Ruger as the T3 also sports an 8 twist, and owners most often report sub moa.

If you wanted to treat yourself look at the Sako 85 Finnlight, and of course there is always a Steyr, Blaser, and others, but that gets to putting a hurt on your wallet all the more.

I can say if I had to live with ONE rifle, and planned to roll my own, I'd look really hard at that Finnlight, drop it into a McMillan Edge, and a good scope. Would do ALOT of things very well for my shooting and hunting.
I could easily hunt the rest of my days with a 6.5x55 and a good 156-160gr. bullet...
© 24hourcampfire