Home
Posted By: Shag 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/20/11
Anyone have any luck developing an accurate load in a 270 with these??

What powder?

Thanks
It's been so long I don't even remember the load, but I do remember the performance on game. Lets just say I don't recommend them for anything bigger than a coyote.
With a 140 Berger I'm using 58.2 gr H4831sc with RP brass and Fed primers.
Yepper, with 7828, R22, H4831 and if I recall right R17. Heck of a good bullet for pretty much all that moves.

Dober
If you are using the Gameking it will perform. I used IMR-4831 with a WLR primer. I have used that bullet in 25cal, 270, 7mm and 30cal with great success on whitetails and hogs. A friend of mine used them in 30cal to kill Elk. Great bullet.Rick.
I have had good luck with RL22 & Hunter with that bullet and several others.
'22 and IMR 4350, WLR primer.....hard to top Sierras for accuracy. My 2 cents
I load 58 gr of H4831 in my bud's .270. Great accuracy
Posted By: Shag Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/20/11
I know everyones rifles are different but has anyone noticed if this bullet tends to be more accurate with a kiss or backed out a ways??

Hell of a question I know, load and shoot and find out myself.. Just looking for quick results with the limited amount of time I have.. And for some reason this bullet has a great rep for accuracy yet it shoots worse than anything I've tried in my 270..

Thanks guys
Most 270's are eager to please with 130/140/150's....Have you tried 130 sierras or hornady interlock 130's. If it won't shoot them, there is a scope or mount problem.

What kinda powder you running?
Rifle loves BT's,AB's,NP's all with hunter.. Today will be the first time I've tried Hunter with the SGK.. Tried H4350 and H4831sc withe the SGK but best group I could come up with was 1.5 @100. I've been just about every where with seating depth with no luck..

Hope the hunter makes it shine.. ugh
Have you tried the 150 Berger yet?
No I have not.. But I've got a couple 140's loaded up.. You?
Posted By: SU35 Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/20/11
Lets just say I don't recommend them for anything bigger than a coyote.

I call BS on that.
Originally Posted by '61'10

I've got a few boxes of them, but am out of .277 rifles to shoot them in.. I always wanted to try them though, thus my curiosity.
Call away.

How many animals have you shot with them ? It's a TARGET bullet. Works great on Yotes as long as saving the pelt is not on the table. Shoot a Yote head on, under the tail or quartering and the bullet will not exit. A side shot will remove most of their innards. Not exactly the performance desired on deer, elk or antelope. (two holes, broken bones, blood trail).

A Game King is almost as accurate and is a HUNTING bullet. It will shoot sub MOA and, within the ethical range of the 270, is about 3 times as accurate as it has to be.
I load 4064 with that bullet weight in the 270.. however for max velocity/accuracy combo, I'd think RL 17 would have a lot to offer...if that didn't work as expected, then RL 19 would be the next one I'd reach for..
Posted By: Azar Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/20/11
Originally Posted by JawnHenry
It's a TARGET bullet.

Perhaps you should figure out which 140g HPBT he is using before proclaiming that a GameKing would be better seeing how Sierra makes HPBT GameKings...

In fact, in their current line-up the only .277 140g HPBT IS a GameKing.
Posted By: Shag Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/21/11
Originally Posted by Calvin

I've got a few boxes of them, but am out of .277 rifles to shoot them in.. I always wanted to try them though, thus my curiosity.

Calvin, pretty excited as the 140 VLD went low into the .3's!!!
Pretty tough to measure groups when [bleep] is touchin!! smile

2870fps seemed a little slow to me though for a 140 in the 270?
Posted By: SU35 Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/21/11
How many animals have you shot with them ?
Enough including my first elk to know that what you are saying is from your own lack of experience.

A Game King is almost as accurate and is a HUNTING bullet

The 140 HPBT is a Gameking. But then you didn't know that did you.
Right you are. Looked on my bullet shelf and the MKs were 135 gr not 140.

Still prefer 140 Accubond or 130 TTSX for big game.
Posted By: SU35 Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/21/11

I would too, but for a cup n cor bullet, the HPBT Gameking is top notch.
Originally Posted by JawnHenry

Depends on the definition of "big game". IMO, the only advantage the AB or the TSX would have for deer, with a 270WCF, is a better BC.
How deep were they seated?

Originally Posted by Calvin

Calvin, pretty excited as the 140 VLD went low into the .3's!!!
Pretty tough to measure groups when [bleep] is touchin!! smile

2870fps seemed a little slow to me though for a 140 in the 270?
Posted By: Shag Re: 140gr Sierra HPBT in your 270 - 03/21/11
HB,
loaded up some rounds to group and chrony.. Started with a kiss and ended it right there.. Absolutely the best group this particular rifle has ever shot. Low .3's is being hard on myself and trying to be modest. Group was easily into the .2's. I'm a happy camper!

But, them darn 140 SGK's still won't shoot fer [bleep]. And I'm about to give up.
© 24hourcampfire