Home
Posted By: USAFA71 Barnes VOR TX/223 for deer - 10/17/11
I was thinking of using the Tikka T3 in 223 for deer this year and would like some insight from those who have used this caliber in the past, especially with Barnes bullets. I will be shooting from a stand at whitetails, longest shot maybe 150 yards, but most shots 75-100 yds. The deer are numerous(does mainly) so I can wait for a broadside shot. I have a box of Barnes VOR-TX with 55 gr TSX FB, and assuming it shoots well enough, will use this unless others think I need to go to the 62 gr TTSX or possibly the 60 gr Partition.
Any input from those who have actually used the 223 for deer would be appreciated.
They will work just fine as long as you are patient and pick your shot wisely. The 60gr partitions will likely give a little better expansion, but any of the bullets you mentioned will work well as long as you are patient and place a good shot on them. T.S.
There was a pretty extensive article in one of the shooting rags a year or so back. They tested the barnes and the above mentioned partition. It was the opinion after looking at bullet performance pics that they were indeed up to the task for well placed shots.
© 24hourcampfire