Home
For shooting inside 300 yards, which bullets shoot better in your experience???? Is there any general trends for accuracy that you see????
I have found that the rifle will tell you which it likes best. I have a 30-06 that will not shoot boat tails worth a darn. Flat base all seem to shoot great with little work up. A 308 I load for will shoot either but for under 300 yards I generally go with flat base because they seem to hold together a little better, less likely to have jacket-core seperation.
I'd let your gun tell you what it likes, but the first place I'd try is the 150 Horn fb with R15 and Varget. If'n it don't perk with that combo it ain't likely to be very smart... grin

Dober
Yep, your gun will let you know. I too have an '06 that doesn't appreciate boattails but is lights out with flatbase bullets.
Originally Posted by PastorDan
Yep, your gun will let you know. I too have an '06 that doesn't appreciate boattails but is lights out with flatbase bullets.

Exactly... and I've seen the reverse true as well.

Try 150 FB's and 150 BT's... go Varget. Your rifle will let you know.
I've had great luck with the 150 gr Ballistic Tip out of .308s and .30-06s over IMR-4064. The 150 Interbond worked well for me, too, but that was from a .300 Win mag.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I'd let your gun tell you what it likes, but the first place I'd try is the 150 Horn fb with R15 and Varget. If'n it don't perk with that combo it ain't likely to be very smart... grin

Dober

Yup, 47grs please and thank you. wink
Originally Posted by gorskij
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Yup, 47grs please and thank you. wink

Gotts to second that......
Both of mine prefer Sierra 150gr BTSP, 168 and 175gr BT Match, and Nosler BT's, as well as Nosler's competition bullets in 155 and 168gr. All boattail bullets.

H4895, IMR4064, and RE15 were the top powders. Varget has done well under my rose bush. whistle
Anybody got any ideas why some guns like BTs and others prefer FBs? Think it is a crown thing or something else? Maybe groove depth?
I prefer FBs for hunting . They seem to me , to hold on to their jackets better .
Originally Posted by lastround
Anybody got any ideas why some guns like BTs and others prefer FBs? Think it is a crown thing or something else? Maybe groove depth?

It's just not bullet style but weight too. My '06 gets progressively better as the bullets get heavier.
I often wondered if boat tails tend to seat straighter in some dies
© 24hourcampfire