Home
Posted By: herschel34 TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
I am one of those guys who beleives in "keep it simple and stupid."

I've already got my vanilla 30-06 that shoots my handloads great, but I would like to develop one load that I can hunt the country (or even world) for non-dangerous game. I want to know its ballistics, etc. like the back of my hand. I would use it from 10 yds to 400 yds.

So, if you had to pick one of the two bullets for the 30-06 to hunt the world, which one would it be? Why?
Posted By: Vek Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
180 partition or 130TTSX - then flip a coin.
Posted By: selmer Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
165 gr. Partition. Simply because I've watched sooooo many Nosler Partition bullets of various calibers and weights do exactly what they are advertised to do - kill stuff dead as long as you put the bullet in a line with the vitals. I'm sure the TTSX will too, I just haven't used it and I've got so many Partitions on the bench that I probably never will.
Posted By: Brad Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
Originally Posted by herschel34
I am one of those guys who beleives in "keep it simple and stupid."

I've already got my vanilla 30-06 that shoots my handloads great, but I would like to develop one load that I can hunt the country (or even world) for non-dangerous game. I want to know its ballistics, etc. like the back of my hand. I would use it from 10 yds to 400 yds.

So, if you had to pick one of the two bullets for the 30-06 to hunt the world, which one would it be? Why?

180 Partition, hands down. Seen enough wonky things with TSX-type bullets to make me stick with the proven Partition.
2 bullets to hunt the world with an 06, I'd say the 180 NPT and the 180 NPT.

Dober
Posted By: Huntr Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
And even the 200gr Partition.... just for variety! wink
Posted By: ingwe Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
Eenie meenie Miney Mo.....
Partition for me.
Posted By: Fotis Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!
If you had to choose one that would never be wrong in terms of damage: not enough, too much; or effectiveness at any distance, I'll add my vote for the 180 Partition.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

I think I'd agree with dober on this one. If it will shoot the head off of an elk it will do anything...... I still like that picture.. grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
Originally Posted by Huntr
And even the 200gr Partition.... just for variety! wink

Shoot the 200 NP's in both my '06's as well, unreal penetrator at 2700 ft. per.

Gunner
Posted By: BobinNH Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
Geeez I dunno yet because I haven't hunted the world blush;

but based on what little I know and given the two choices I would grab the 180 Nosler Partition....or a 165 gr Bitterroot. smile
Nod goes to 168 TTSX even more so since Nosler decided to jack the price of their popularity and profit maker the Partition.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
Nosler sells far more Ballistic Tips than any other bullet--and the AccuBond is now in second place, not the Partition.

My vote is also for the Partition. I've taken a lot of animals with various monometal bullets, whether the TSX, E-Tip or whatever, and in general I've found the Partition to kill quicker--and penetrate plenty. The modern notion is that bullets must exit to kill big game, but I haven't found that to be so....

Ok ok ok if I had to go with 2 diff bullets for the 06 I'd go with a 150 Horn flat base and a 200 Noz Pt.

Dober
180 Partition!!! But that's because you only mentioned the 2 bullets. IF it were me, it would be a 180 Northfork first and then a 180 Partition second.
I've found that Northforks are slightly more accurate than Partitions, at least in the rifles I use 'em in, they hold together better and don't lose as much weight as well.
Sure, they cost more but so what? You're talking about hunting the world. If you can afford to do that, you can afford the cost of a Northfork or two. Never could understand the concern of bullet cost on a hunting trip. Granted, you don't need a primo bullet for deer or most game in the Lower-48 (elk being the exception) but otherwise.....
Bear in Fairbanks
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The modern notion is that bullets must exit to kill big game, but I haven't found that to be so....

And I have a collection of recovered mono-metals to prove it........ grin
Posted By: TexasRick Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/01/11
I would also choose the Partition (actually prefer the Swift bonded partitions but this specified Nosler. I would choose it because I've shot enough to "know" how it will perform in all cases.

I've used the "alphabet bullets" a lot less, but have seen enough failures to expand when velosity drops (and occationally for no known reason) to make me a bit leery. Not that those "failures" are at all common, but I still have more confidence in the Partition.

The main reason to used the Partition is because it is a "real" hunting bullet. The mono-metal bullets, while apparently generally effective, are the result of an anti-hunting movement to outlaw lead bullets. The mono-metals were NOT designed because they were thought "better" but as a response to this ani-hunting plot (thanks Kalifornia). I will NOT support that movement by using these bullets until required to do so by law.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/02/11
Well, Rick, sorry to say it but that's simply not true. The Barnes X was invented long before any lead-free regulations.

Not that they don't fit right in with such regs, as do many other, newer monometal bullets. But that wasn't the reason Randy Brooks developed the X, and kept after it despite many trials in development and improvement over the years. If you have private knowledge that Randy is anti-hunting, then I'd like to hear it--and I know him pretty well.

Another little piece of reality is that most bullet companies sell all over the world, and the European market is substantial. Many of those countries are moving toward lead-free. That's what driving a lot of the recent move toward non-toxic bullets, not California.

The plastic-tipped monos have also pretty much solved the problem of expansion failures.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/02/11
Partition without question. You can't knock success and consistent performance. The TTSX may be fine, but I need a longer proven track record.
Posted By: dawaba Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/02/11
I will also vote Partition because it has been my go-to hunting bullet for 45 years. It has never let me down, nor has it failed for anyone of my personal acquaintance.

I've taken 2 mulies and a nice bull elk with Barnes monos, and they performed well too.

But after over 60 years of production, the Partition is still the bullet that all the newcomers strive to emulate.
Posted By: super T Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/02/11
The 180NP .308 is one fine bullet it's my hands down choice to answer the OP question. The 160gr 7MM and the 150gr. 270 are bullets that can be counted on too. The NP may not be perfect, but it's closer that anything else that I can think of.
Posted By: Calvin Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/02/11
My 30-06ti kicks like a mule with 180 Partitions, so I went to smaller weights as I like to hand the rifle to the kids on occasion and let them have a little bit of fun.

I like 168gr TTSXs and 155gr Scenars out of my 06 and I don't feel like I'm shooting a magnum when I pull the trigger.
Partition lovers (and I can cope with that) may want to read the similar post on Elk Hunting Forum "TTSX Recovered". By the way I too have no fight with the Nosler Partition just a little question about the enormous price increase laid on us recently.
Posted By: GF1 Re: TTSX vs Nosler Partition - 11/02/11
I've had nothing but great experience with the Nosler Partition in both 165 and 180 gr .30 persuasions. In the 30/06, I like the 165 alot, have yet to recover one (shot from 30/06 and a couple of .300 magnums), on deer and elk. Game expired quickly too, though not DRT (too much is made of the instant kill business, IMO).
My success at getting moose to do the bam-flop drop runs around 10%; (I don't neck or head shoot.) Three different bullets have done it for me: Interlock, XFB, and GameKing. Moose, as with most other animals it seems, react more to what gets destroyed than what bullet did it.
© 24hourcampfire