Home
Getting ready to start loading for my 338Fed and need some brass. Going to use .308 brass and want to know what brand of brass has the most internal capacity. Thanks.
Slight variations in manufature do occur causing the capacity to go up or down a little, but 53.5 should be ballpark for just about all.

Swifty
WW is roomier than most others.
And it doesn't make any practical difference at all.

I used to be one of those who chased brass with the most volume--which means the lightest brass. Did it in the 7x57 for years, always buying Winchester.

Then I figured out the 4-to-1 Rule: Any difference in case capacity results in 1/4 of that percentage in velocity, at the same pressure.

It's very rare to find a difference of more than 4% in powder room between brands of brass. This means a difference in potential velocity of 1% AT MOST--or about 25 fps in a typical .338 Federal load, or 30 fps in a typical .270 Winchester load.

If 25-30 fps is a big deal to somebody, then they should go for it. Personally, I quit worrying about it years ago.
J B Hodgdon used to use Remington brass for hunting in his .270 reloads because it was thicker and he didn't load hot to begin with. Might be some kind of lesson there, or maybe not. Not for me anyway as I still used Winchester full up, just because it worked. I'm sure the difference is modest to say the least.
Different strokes....
Many moons ago I had a wonder, so I loaded up my .270 with the everything the same etc two diff kinds of brass. I used W-W and R-P. My theory was that the heavier/thicker R-P would give me more pressure hence speed. It was a one time test and at least that one time it worked out just as I had thought.

Dober
Mark,

Yeah, thicker brass will result in slightly higher pressure and hence velocity with the same load.

You can also back the load down a grain or so and still maintain the same velocity as with higher-capacity brass, getting about 15 more 7mm Mashburn powder charges out of an 8-pound jug.
Now that's being efficient....grin

Dober
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mark,

Yeah, thicker brass will result in slightly higher pressure and hence velocity with the same load.

You can also back the load down a grain or so and still maintain the same velocity as with higher-capacity brass, getting about 15 more 7mm Mashburn powder charges out of an 8-pound jug.

That's why they pay him the big bucks.... grin
So then maybe I should just pick up some factory .338 Federal brass from Midway?
Posted By: Brad Re: Most capacity in .308 brass. - 03/03/12
WW Brass.
© 24hourcampfire