Home
Posted By: Buck1919 Federal brass - 05/13/12
Has anyone had any issues with Federal brass? I was resizing some 270 brass in my Redding dies tonight after it has been tumbled/cleaned and had three of them stick in the die. Two came out the third is still in there til I get a puller tomorrow. I use One Shot spray lube... powdered mica for the inside of the neck also. This is the first time I have used Federal brass. This was range pickup stuff. Normally I use Remington brass with no problems.
Posted By: foxsquirrel1 Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
I have heard of folks have problems with One Shot causing cases to stick. Your brass should be fine.
Posted By: Horseman Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
I've had no problems with Fed. I've read a lot of people complaining about primer pockets loosening quicker than other brass but I've never had it happen.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
You should switch to crisco and tumble after they are resized/ deprimed.
I havent had a stuck case since the day i swiiched. No drying time. just a dab on the finger. seat the case in the shell holder and spin it between the thub and finger giving the case a light coat of crisco.
once every 4-5 cases i put a little bit on a case mouth and that lubes the expander button enough for the next 4 or so cases.
Dies need to be cleaned up with carb cleaner once your done, but thats simple enough.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
I've used Federal WSM brass with no problems. But I use Imperial sizing die wax instead of one shot.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
Try some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I don't think the Federal brass is the problem.
Posted By: shootem Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
Can't speak for others but I've had a primer pocket issue with Federal 7mm Rem and .270 Win. Bought 100 each as once fired and they appeared to be so. Can't give the exact number of junk cases but had several oversize primer pockets in each batch. One .270 case wouldn't even hold a primer and several were so loose I could push the primer back out with the little coffee stirer tube from a WD40 can. I'll not use anymore.

edit: Again, can't speak for others but the only problem I've had with One Shot I created myself. When setting the sizing die to shrink just the right amount of neck I handled the case too much without reapplying TWICE. The second time was the last time, I hope. Other than that it's super easy to use and works for me.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
The only issues I've ever had with Federal brass was with some .223 which was softer than the WW I'd been using. It didn't spring back quite as much after sizing and I wound up with excessive headspace that lead to case head separations. I never thought I'd need to have my FL die set up differently for a different brand of brass given it was to be fired in the same chamber. Oops.

Tom
Posted By: levergunfan Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
RE: One shot and Crisco...I had problems with One Shot as well and have stopped using it. I use the same technique as ringworm only using Lee's lanolin based lube. Never had a stuck case since.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
one shots drying time is too varied depending on humidty, elevation, time of year, moon phase.
I have no use for it. I have used the same can of crisco for 10 years.
Posted By: Buck1919 Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
I like to tumble the brass before sizing... especially range brass to clean it before messing up my dies ...scratching. I spray it with the one shot and then let it dry... size it then a quick 15 minute tumble to get the lube off the brass. Last night was a bit more humid and warmer than what it has been lately... I must of rushed it a bit before it dried. I used to use RCBS lube and pad but found that the one shot was quicker and easier to apply. I guess I found out quicker and easier isn't the best way to go.
Posted By: boomtube Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
Cases get stuck in a sizer due to one thing; failure to properly lube the outside.

I gave OneShot one shot; emptied the can and tossed it; it cost a lot and added exactly nothing to my loading method. I normally apply a VERY THIN coat of Imperial or Unique (or a few other subsitutes) with the tips of my left thumb and fingers when I pick up each case for sizing. Lubing that way is clean, it takes takes virtually no time and I KNOW I've lubed the entire surface of every case so nothing sticks. I just wipe my fingers with a paper towel afterwards and I'm done.
Posted By: mathman Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
What are you using inside the necks?
Posted By: boomtube Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
"What are you using inside the necks?"

I often use nothing inside, no case is going to get stuck in sizer because of a lack of lube inside the necks. The common idea of cases stretching due to expander drag is a myth, the thin necks will easily expand to let a dry expander out before the thicker shoulder brass will give way.

When I DO lube inside necks - and I sometimes do - it's usually with a bit of graphite added to a plastic pill bottle with a half inch of #9 bird shot; push the mouth of the case into the shot and withdraw it, inside is dry lubed. But, graphite IS messy so I keep a bottle of Windex handy to dampen the paper towel for cleaning both my fingers and the outside of the necks.

I also have and sometimes use the inexpensive MidwayUSA neck lube kit with plastic bore brushes and white Motor Mica. It's clean, but mica isn't quite as good a lube as graphite. Still, mica is really good enough.
Through testing I've found things go much smoother and with less runout with a wet lube in the necks. This is especially true with a typical 308 Win. FL die and thick Federal or Lapua brass when the die neck is built for thin WW cases.

It's a pain in the ass to remove, but it makes for better ammo. I've tried mica and Imperial dry lubes, but they haven't worked as well as a wet lube.
Posted By: herschel34 Re: Federal brass - 05/13/12
So, if you use Hornady One Shot per the instructions (i.e. spray at a 45 degree angle to get it inside the case neck), how do you remove the lube fom the inside of the case neck?

What happens if you don't remove it from te inside of the case neck?
I don't use One Shot.
Posted By: Buck1919 Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
I do use the white motor mica on one out of every third or 4th case. My cases last night were stuck inside the die not because of the expander ball. The case was stuck when it was nearly all of the way inside the die at the top of the stroke. At that point the expander is basically just pushing out the spent primer. I tumble my brass again for about 15minutes after sizing to remove the sizing lube so that should remove any lube that has gotten inside the neck. I am going back to my RCBS lube and pad or try some Imperial sizing wax or Crisco like one person suggested.
Posted By: firefighter5318 Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Try some Imperial Sizing Die Wax. I don't think the Federal brass is the problem.
+1 on this. It generally is the lube or lack of lube used. I use imperial sizing die wax and Hornady One Shot. Only time I stuck a case was when there wasn't enough lube on the case. Never had a problem with Federal and shoot it in several calibers.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
Originally Posted by mathman
What are you using inside the necks?

Imperial Dry Neck Lube: http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=32854/Product/Imperial-Dry-Neck-Lube
Posted By: mathman Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
Like I mentioned earlier, I tried it and wet lubes are still better.
Posted By: Notropis Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
I have never tried wax or powder. I have a bottle of One Shot and used it once. I have been using the RCBS liquid on a pad for a long time with good results. I use an old cleaning mop or a bit of cloth on a wire to apply some to the inside of the neck. I tumble as the last step in case prep to get the remaining lube off the outside of the case and out of the neck.

I can easily tell when the lube application is getting to be too light by the way they feel in the die. I do not stick many cases and have not dented a shoulder from lube in decades.

I have loaded many Federal cases with no more problems than with most other brands.
Posted By: greentimber Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
Interesting to hear bad feedback on one shot. I've used it for years and many thousands of cases with nothing but great results.
Posted By: Buck1919 Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
Normally I have always used One shot and never had any issues. Until now I have always loaded for short action length brass. Tonight I got the stuck case out of the die and lubed the rest of the 270 brass with my RCBS lube and pad and all reloaded good. Then I sprayed about 100 rounds of 223 brass with One shot and sized them with no issues. Maybe I wasn't spraying enough on the whole length of the long action brass?
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
I pretty much only use one shot. I use it with an old school lube pad. Spray one side liberaly and roll. It has worked for many years and not 1 stuck case. I usally only apply the majority of the lube to the neck and shoulders of the brass.

Aside from that, I like redding imperial for neck sizing! Its just easier to use and a little tin will last forever!
Posted By: lastround Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
I too have used One-Shot for several years both on the case and inside the neck. The only time I have had a problem was when I didn't let it dry before sizing. A case still wet with it will stick and also dent shoulders. Use whatever works for you.
Posted By: shootem Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
Originally Posted by herschel34
So, if you use Hornady One Shot per the instructions (i.e. spray at a 45 degree angle to get it inside the case neck), how do you remove the lube fom the inside of the case neck?

What happens if you don't remove it from te inside of the case neck?

I load a tray and spray from about 45 above the cases from 4 sides. Just a quick horizontal motion that I can see contacts the cases well. Let it dry for a minute or so. This motion also lubes the inside of the neck. Hornady says the lube will not contaminate powder or primers and I take their word on it. I size the cases and seat the bullets with the lube in the neck then wipe the cartridges. One other thing Hornady says to do when you first start using it is to disassenble your dies, clean thoroughly then lube the inside of the die with One Shot before sizing the cases. It can be amazing what kind of crap accumulates in a die.

As far as cleaning the necks inside I usually chuck a bore brush in a drill and run the case necks up and down on that to knock out any rough particulate before lubing and sizing. Of course I'm not loading for an upcoming all day match or prairie dog shoot. Having a little One Shot inside the neck has not affected anything so far as I can tell.
Posted By: Mr_Saw Re: Federal brass - 05/14/12
I've had good luck using One-Shot. The only case I've stuck so far was one .30-06 when I accidentally grabbed one that hadn't been lubed yet. Almost didn't get that sucker out either. Kept it right there above the bench to remind me to never do THAT again!

I haven't had any trouble with Federal brass but so far I haven't yet made it past one reload in any.
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Federal brass - 05/16/12
Try some Lee paste lube. Been using it for the last 15 years w/o a hitch. Use a q-tip to apply inside the necks. One tube last for many thousands of cases. It's really easy to clean off as well, a hand towel for the ouside and an oversize nylon brush to the neck and your done.

I only use One Shot for bedding jobs.
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Federal brass - 05/22/12
I've used over 50 cans of one shot and have never had a single problem! Shake it and spray all 4sides. LET IT DRY and proceed . It is the best for applying lube to inside necks. Tumbling for 1/2 hr removes wax. . I use imperial wax when using small base dies. If you stuck a case with one shot YOU did something wrong !!! I load 136 different cartridges and about 10,000 a year.
Posted By: wsmnut Re: Federal brass - 05/23/12
Originally Posted by Bella1
I've used over 50 cans of one shot and have never had a single problem! Shake it and spray all 4sides. LET IT DRY and proceed . It is the best for applying lube to inside necks. Tumbling for 1/2 hr removes wax. . I use imperial wax when using small base dies. If you stuck a case with one shot YOU did something wrong !!! I load 136 different cartridges and about 10,000 a year.

+1 Lots of One shot used here with a lot of Federal Brass. No problems.

wsmnut
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Federal brass - 05/23/12
Originally Posted by boomtube
"What are you using inside the necks?"

I often use nothing inside, no case is going to get stuck in sizer because of a lack of lube inside the necks. The common idea of cases stretching due to expander drag is a myth, the thin necks will easily expand to let a dry expander out before the thicker shoulder brass will give way.

When I DO lube inside necks - and I sometimes do - it's usually with a bit of graphite added to a plastic pill bottle with a half inch of #9 bird shot; push the mouth of the case into the shot and withdraw it, inside is dry lubed. But, graphite IS messy so I keep a bottle of Windex handy to dampen the paper towel for cleaning both my fingers and the outside of the necks.

I also have and sometimes use the inexpensive MidwayUSA neck lube kit with plastic bore brushes and white Motor Mica. It's clean, but mica isn't quite as good a lube as graphite. Still, mica is really good enough.

I've used mica before. I've since put carbide xpander buttons in most of my dies. No need for any lube.
Posted By: mathman Re: Federal brass - 05/23/12
I've used mica before. I've since put carbide xpander buttons in most of my dies. No need for any lube.

Not in my experience. Carbide buttons are better, but I still get smoother operation and less runout with wet lube in the necks.
© 24hourcampfire