Home
Thought I'd share pic of 115 BST recovered from a little 8 pointer I shot this morn with my 257 Wby. Shot was 165 yards and bullet was started at 3450. DRT.

I found the bullet lodged underneath the skin on the left side at the base of the neck(see pic). The bullet entered at the right shoulder. Knowing the bullet hit bone, I was still somewhat surprised it didn't hold together better. I didn't have a scale, so don't know how much the recoverd bullet weighed. Wasn't much though. I do know, if I ever go after anything bigger than Whitetail, I'll probably order up dome Partitions or TTSX's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For a ballistic tip from a 257 Bee I think that is more than acceptable.
Well I guess a better bullet is in order I think that deer winked at me you better make sure he's dead!
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Thought I'd share pic of 115 BST recovered from a little 8 pointer I shot this morn with my 257 Wby. Shot was 165 yards and bullet was started at 3450. DRT.

I found the bullet lodged underneath the skin on the left side at the base of the neck(see pic). The bullet entered at the right shoulder. Knowing the bullet hit bone, I was still somewhat surprised it didn't hold together better. I didn't have a scale, so don't know how much the recoverd bullet weighed. Wasn't much though. I do know, if I ever go after anything bigger than Whitetail, I'll probably order up dome Partitions or TTSX's.

It's a BT...has a thin jacket,and a plastic tip, and was started at 3400 fps+....what should we expect? Just make sense it ended up as it did....

Partitions and monometals are a really good idea from hyper velocity cartridges.
looks like it should. DRT from the front end fragmenting by design.

i don't shoot them anymore just because they can really make a mess and they came out with the Accubomb.

congrads on the buck!

ned
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Well I guess a better bullet is in order I think that deer winked at me you better make sure he's dead!

I am NOT complaining about performance. The bullet did it's job superbly. The deer hit the deck immediatley and never moved again. What more can I ask for? I will continue to use this bullet for WT without reservation. but will look to a better constructed bullet for thicker skinned game. That's all.
Looks like you were not too far away from a through and through.
You may want to scoot over to shootersproshop and pick up some nosler 25 cal partition overruns. They're $14.75 per box and they have a heck of a selection of other bullets PLUS a couple coupon discounts that pretty much take care of shipping charges.
I've never seen as good a selection as they have now plus the nice coupons.
Hide on an animal stretches a lot better to resist an exit than it does an entrance, cause it's pushing against air to exit instead of ribs and flesh to enter. I've seen 180 grain bullets out of a 300 magnum that wouldn't push through a moose, even at fairly close range, and moose aren't steel plated. wink You're eating venison . . . . bullet did not fail. laugh
Looks not bad for the velocity....imo
Bob,

Actually the "hunting" Ballistic Tips don't have thin jackets, except just behind the tip. The rear of the bullet has a heavy jacket (in some VERY heavy), the reason the jacket often ends up looking exactly the one that killed this buck--like a widely expanded bullet. Since the jacket of hunting BT's normally weighs 50-60% of the bullet's original weight, they normally retain 50-60% of their weight.

It's pretty much irrelvant whether the core stays in the jacket, and it usually doesn't--though it almost always does end up with the jacket, if you recover the bullet, meaning it went along for the ride.

A lot of people judge cup-and-core bullets according to Bob Hagel's statement that "if jacket and core separate, penetration soon ceases." In my experience that is far from always true, whether with thin-jacketed, hard-cored bullets or bullets like the Ballistic Tip, with thick-based jackets.
Ican't hunt wisconsin this year cause of a family illness. But my 2506 is out with a buddy as I write this loaded with the exact same bullet but to a nice meandering 2950 fps. Where we hunt most shots are under 100 yds. Hope he gets a buck like that and performance like that too.
Congratulations on the buck!

Used the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from my .25-06 this year, muzzle velocity considerably less than your rifle at only 3,120 fps. Mule deer buck at 260 yards and a pronghorn at 160 yards - both one shot instant kills/drops. No recovered bullet, because both were pass-through hits.

I like those bullets. Accurate and lethal. Am not looking for a lot of weight retention with them, I like the quick expansion & fragmentation from lighter, faster bullets on deer sized games.

Regards, Guy
I been shooting a 25 wssm for several years along with a buddy borrowing a lot and the 115 bst does a phenomenal job. The only deer that didn't fall rite there was my fault. Shot to far back and it only made it about 100 yrds. Never recovered a bullet. IMO the bullet looks like the one on the box. Congrats on the deer
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Looks not bad for the velocity....imo

Correct, I've seen much worse, take 140 gr first gen ballistic tips at 3550 fps from a 7mm STW for example. eek shocked

Gunner
I shot 3 whitetails last week from my .257 bee starting at about the same velocity. Range was 300 yards. 110 Acubonds, and all pass throughs with a nice wound channel. All 3 were DRT. I like em. Could not get the 100gr TTSX's to shoot, and really don't care. These "tipped partitions" work great.
John: You got me there...but you know me by now.I got prejudices... blush grin

I know I tend to lump together everything that isn't bonded or that doesn't have a partition. crazy

Keeping up with all the differences in BT's is daunting.. frown

Dober has me convinced to try the 150 7mm...I have a pile of them and like how they shoot.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I shot 3 whitetails last week from my .257 bee starting at about the same velocity. Range was 300 yards. 110 Acubonds, and all pass throughs with a nice wound channel. All 3 were DRT. I like em. Could not get the 100gr TTSX's to shoot, and really don't care. These "tipped partitions" work great.

Glad their holding up for ya, and a big congrats on filling the freezer, ours is bulging too. wink

Gunner
Thanks brother. We got 5 in the freezer now, and we don't quit until Jan.1 Got tired of just lookin and decided to start shootin.

Wish the Accubonds would've shot better out of my gun, as I feel they're a better application for the 257 Wby than the Ballistic Tips.
Thanks brother. We got 5 in the freezer now, and we don't quit until Jan.1 Got tired of just lookin and decided to start shootin.

That's what I've been doing all year, can't be to picky and cover a lot of ground horn hunting when I have broken/mending bones in my left hoof. cry

I'm six up and still have a few tags left for Oklahoma. wink

Gunner
Kinda surprised it stayed inside.

I shot a WT buck last week with a 120gr BT out of a 280 at 3175-3200 FPS and it went completely through, breaking the offside shoulder at about 100 yards.

MM
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Kinda surprised it stayed inside.

I shot a WT buck last week with a 120gr BT out of a 280 at 3175-3200 FPS and it went completely through, breaking the offside shoulder at about 100 yards.

MM

Bullets do funny things I guess. People always bag on SST's for being explosive, but I shoot the130 SST from my 270 Weatherby Mag at 3450fps and have never had one explode or fail to pass completlely through a deer. Go figure. I will say though, I have never seen a deer hit the deck as fast as the deer in the above pic did. That 115 Ballistic Tip, even though it didn't pass through, whacked that deer with absolute aplomb.

I think 7 STW is correct. It killed him DRT so that is great. That is not a Partition and those will turn inside out like they are supposed to. I shoot Partitions in my .257 for hunting but they are not as accurate as the Ballistic Tips. Took the worng bullets to the stand a couple of years ago and my deer was DRT with a similar bullet. I guess whitetails don't read these forums.

I am also suprised that it did not exit, I shot a mule deer with my 264 many years ago in Nevada, was using the 125 gr nosler partiion. The buck was at an angle, bullet hit the last rib on the side facing me and exited his neck on the opposite side, he dropped in his tracks.
Considering that bullet started out 250 fps faster than Nosler suggests you start them at, I'd say that bullet performed better than to be expected. That buck looks mighty dead !
I've been seeing the same results as that with Ballistic Tips for years.
That's why I think they're the best deer bullet ever invented.
You cant really improve on "dead in their tracks".
I use them in the .257 Roberts (100 grain) ,the .270 (140 grain) and the .300 Mags. (180 grain)
© 24hourcampfire