Home
Posted By: pointer 300 WSM Brass? - 04/02/13
I just recieved a light 300 WSM and am collecting the parts to load for it. Some places have Norma brass in stock and Win brass on backorder. I'm not in a real hurry, but is the Norma stuff worth the premium? Old posts that I found showed folks having good luck with the Win brass, is that still the case?

Posted By: Freddy Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/02/13
I have never had an issue with Winchester brass, Norma brass is much more expensive and I doubt if you will get any more use from it over the Winchester brass.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/03/13
Freddy's right. Some of that chit is way overrated...I've got a buddy that thinks he has to use lapua or Norma or Match grade Nosler etc. to make his rifle shoot good. I'll tell you a little secret, it takes more than fancy brass to make a rifle shoot to it's full potential.... whistle wink
Posted By: pointer Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/03/13
Thanks! Looks like I'll place an order, or backorder in this case, for some Win brass.
Posted By: RDW Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/03/13
Originally Posted by pointer
I just recieved a light 300 WSM and am collecting the parts to load for it. Some places have Norma brass in stock and Win brass on backorder. I'm not in a real hurry, but is the Norma stuff worth the premium? Old posts that I found showed folks having good luck with the Win brass, is that still the case?

Winchester 300WSM sucks ass, I have had more split necks with Winchester 300WSM brass than in all other cartridges/brands in the last 20 years. The brass is lightly turned and bushing neck sized and even annealed every 4-5 firings...it sucks. I have not had this problem with any other cartridge using Winchester brass.

On the other hand Norma is not worth 1.90 to me.

EDIT: BSA, I have Lapua 308 cases that probably went 10-15 firing and still no split necks, same loading procedure as the 300WSM mentioned above.

For whatever reason, Lapua has not picked up on the 300WSM but I believe it would sell and be worth it.
Posted By: pointer Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/03/13
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by pointer

Winchester 300WSM sucks ass, I have had more split necks with Winchester 300WSM brass than in all other cartridges/brands in the last 20 years. The brass is lightly turned and bushing neck sized and even annealed every 4-5 firings...it sucks. I have not had this problem with any other cartridge using Winchester brass.

On the other hand Norma is not worth 1.90 to me.

EDIT: BSA, I have Lapua 308 cases that probably went 10-15 firing and still no split necks, same loading procedure as the 300WSM mentioned above.

For whatever reason, Lapua has not picked up on the 300WSM but I believe it would sell and be worth it.
Thanks for the additional info. Is there a brand of WSM brass you suggest?
Posted By: smokepole Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/03/13
R-P ain't bad in my limited experience.
Posted By: RDW Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/03/13
I have heard the same about R-P.
Posted By: pointer Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/04/13
Thanks! Now I'll see if anything is in stock...
Posted By: Freddy Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/04/13
You must have purchased a bad batch of brass, I have never had a split neck on any winchester 300 wsm brass and some of my cases have been fired 10 times. Like I said you must have got a hold of a bad batch or maybe there is an issue with your fire arm.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/06/13
Hell, I'm still trying to burn up my Federal brass. Primer pockets are starting to get a little loose now after 5 firings....Everything else looks great. RDW has me a little worried now about wanting to switch to my W-W brass. I'm generally a R-P user but fell into a bunch of W-W brass that I couldn't pass up.....
Posted By: Monashee Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/06/13
I 've never had a problem with the .300WSM WW brass.I believe that most of my cases have been fired 3-5 times,no neck splitting yet.Mind you I'm not trying to get 3250fps out of a 180gr! grin(I'm not suggesting anyone else is either!). ... Monashee
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: 300 WSM Brass? - 04/06/13
WW brass is as RDW said, it splits nearly every time. It's cheap junk.

I run Norma brass and have never had any type of failures with it in my 7 Wby, 300 Wby or 300 WSM. Those three have a cumulative total of over 1000 rounds downrange. Quality is worth the money.

RP brass is second for me. It too is very pliable and has never let me down.
© 24hourcampfire