Home
Posted By: Fifth Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Found this and I'm still scratching my head on the benefit. I have to be honest I've not heard of this before I found the article. Anyone here anneal bullets and if so have you noticed any difference in bullet performance?
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
I'm sure the tip would be gone well before anything measurable was actually accomplished.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Let me know when they start annealing powder, that would be a fun video.
Posted By: ned Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
do they have long winters in New Zealand?
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
No idea, but I would like to know the melting point of the poly tip and annealing point of the jacket...it would be interesting to see if he is achieving any change.

As to benefit...why?

And from memory copper and such need to be dunked for rapid cooling to anneal, same as brass.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
I thought it would be a solid like barnes...
Never used one, but either way I would be surprised if there was any change from a candle in such a short time.
Posted By: ricksmith Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Brass does not have to be dunked during the annealing process.Rick.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That, and forging primers. smile

Originally Posted by JSTUART
No idea, but I would like to know the melting point of the poly tip and annealing point of the jacket...it would be interesting to see if he is achieving any change.

As to benefit...why?

And from memory copper and such need to be dunked for rapid cooling to anneal, same as brass.

The polymer would certainly benefit from hardening due to quenching, grin but copper alloys aren't affected either way, other than that quenching stops the movement of heat within the object due to conduction.

That video just goes to show that confidence in one's equipment must have some measurable effects, assuming he can actually measure anything favorable with the bullets he's played with, because nothing he shows adds anything beneficial in terms of consistency (or meaning, as far as I can tell.)
Posted By: Blacktail53 Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
It keeps him out of the kitchen.....
Originally Posted by ricksmith
Brass does not have to be dunked during the annealing process.Rick.

Take your word for it, I dunk mine.
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Steelhead

That, and forging primers. smile

Originally Posted by JSTUART

As to benefit...why?

The polymer would certainly benefit from hardening due to quenching, grin but copper alloys aren't affected either way, other than that quenching stops the movement of heat within the object due to conduction.

That video just goes to show that confidence in one's equipment must have some measurable effects, assuming he can actually measure anything favorable with the bullets he's played with, because nothing he shows adds anything beneficial in terms of consistency (or meaning, as far as I can tell.)

It doesn't really inspire confidence in the rest of his site.

Added...with any luck he will log in and explain it all.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
It never fails to amaze me when gun types think they can improve on products that were developed and tested by experienced engineers. It really amazes me when they think they can do it with household tools, chemicals, and candles.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Brass does not have to be dunked during the annealing process.Rick

I agree completely with that. Mine go into a bucket of water, however, just to speed up the entire process. No deformation when I simply drop them in a bucket of water.

I don't think I'll worry about the slugs though.
Posted By: denton Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Bullets are pretty hot when they exit the muzzle. It's hard for me to believe that heat treating the lead before use will make any actual difference.

Dunking brass after annealing keeps the annealing from going too far toward the case head.
Posted By: CLB Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
Originally Posted by denton
Bullets are pretty hot when they exit the muzzle. It's hard for me to believe that heat treating the lead before use will make any actual difference.

Dunking brass after annealing keeps the annealing from going too far toward the case head.

Plenty of sources indicate you do not need to quench your brass. If one is worried about the case head, you are most certainly over heating your brass from the get go...
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/11/13
unless, of course, you're annealing pretty short brass.

But no, unlike most other metals, copper and brass don't have to be quenched to anneal.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/12/13
I have heard lots of folks say the necks should be red when annealing but that always seemed too hot to me. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/12/13
If the neck glows red it's too soft and you should toss the brass.

Discolor blue is what your looking for around 725 or so.

Do a google search on annealing lots of good posts out there
Posted By: CLB Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/12/13
Originally Posted by Dude270
I have heard lots of folks say the necks should be red when annealing but that always seemed too hot to me. What are your thoughts?

An "ad nauseam" topic on here with opinions that are all over the place....

I find for my needs the candle method works perfectly. I don't very large batches so I don't mind a little extra time. I have never had a brass issue or cracked necks as a result of this technique.

Next. I will try the "candle" method with a torch and see If I get similar results without having to clean off the carbon.

YMMV
Posted By: CLB Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/13/13
Originally Posted by ned
do they have long winters in New Zealand?

Apparently way to long...

Here is one for the VLD crowd.... Video
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/13/13
Annealing bullets is interesting, but more interesting is the knowledge base's analysis of the .300 mag vs 7mm mag debate. do you want it dead in 45 seconds or instantly?

"There is an old and long standing argument, which is better, the 7mm Remington Magnum or the .300 Winchester Magnum? This argument pits the two most common factory magnums head to head. In truth, each has its unique strengths. The strengths of the .300 are in its ability to produce fast killing on body weights greater than 90kg. To this end, the rule of this author states, where 90% of the hunters game weights are less than 90kg (200lb), the 7mm magnums show great strengths. If 90% of the hunters game weigh above 90kg, the .300 magnums produce excellent performance. More specifically, on tough game species weighing around 150-200kg (330-440lb), speed of killing can be reduced from 45 seconds (7mm Magnum with conventional bullets) to either instant collapse or a few second delay - at all ranges. Once this is seen in the field and fully understood, arguments about trajectories and wind drift quickly fall by the wayside."
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/14/13
I first read that site several years ago. I decided that guy is either way smarter than most of us, or completely mad.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/14/13
When I anneal bullets I wait until after I seat them in the case, I gives you something to hold onto, no need for the channelocks( Just gotta watch you dont get them to hot)....grin
Posted By: ringworm Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/14/13
Originally Posted by keystoneben
When I anneal bullets I wait until after I seat them in the case, I gives you something to hold onto, no need for the channelocks( Just gotta watch you dont get them to hot)....grin

The self clean setting on the oven is the easy way.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Annealing Bullets? - 12/14/13
Probably the start of hot core bullets -- annealing the lead to the gilding material - - - - or something. laugh grin
© 24hourcampfire