Home
Posted By: Deerhntr71 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
I was wondering if the 7mm RUM is a caliber a person should stay away from? It seems ammo is hard to find and so is reloading components, Was thinking about getting a rifle in this caliber for deer, antelope and maybe elk and moose some day. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Posted By: PastorDan Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
IMHO I always thought there wasn't enough increase in velocity over the standard length 7 Mags to justify its existence. I always thought if I wanted something on a full length action for shooting a long ways it would be one of the long .300's. In all honesty though I never looked that deeply into them.
Posted By: ingwe Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
Nope�.its already long dead�.
I know where there is a magnificent new CDL with glorious wood and about 3 buckets full of new Remington brass.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
I don't recall having ever seen a box of factory ammo for that cartridge. 300 and 375 RUM yes, but never the big 7. I believe only the 300 RUM survived.
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
I just think it was a little too much of a good thing with limited returns.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
Originally Posted by ingwe

RIP, it's big brother (the 300 RUM) has one leg in the grave to keep it company whistle
If you want a RUM or a WSM, get the 300 and ignore the rest.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 12/31/13
It is around. I have had three. Two of my friends bought two of them. I have all the components and a reamer at my disposal should the need arise. Currently working with the 7mm/375 Ruger.

The 300 RUM is far from dead. Lots of interest in it. Heck Norma just began making 300 RUM brass.
Posted By: BWalker Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 01/01/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by ingwe

RIP, it's big brother (the 300 RUM) has one leg in the grave to keep it company whistle

I believe the 300 Rum still sells well.
Posted By: Gunaddict Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 01/01/14
My 7 Rum shooting 180 Bergers at 3300fps. Like to see a 7 mag do that!!
Posted By: Deerhntr71 Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 01/01/14
Can you seat 180 grain Berbers in a Remington 700 SPS and have them fit in the magazine?
Posted By: billbastian Re: 7mm RUM is it dying? - 01/02/14
Have one, never shot it. It's a Sako deluxe, beautiful gun (safe queen) afraid to scratch it but if it shoots anything like my 7STW (thanks Layne Simpson) buy one you'll fall in love!!! Have lots of 30 calibers but the STW is my go to gun!!
© 24hourcampfire