Home
Posted By: Yalie Case Cleaning Tumblers and Media - 02/23/14
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have never used a case tumbler to clean my brass cases. Now, I'd like to use one.

Which case tumblers have you used (RCBS, Lyman, etc.), and which media (walnut, corn cob, etc.) works the best.

I have some old R-P 300 Savage brass that really needs to be cleaned up, and I thought I'd experiment on that brass.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis
Midway tumbler

Lizard bedding

http://www.petco.com/product/102881/Zilla-Ground-English-Walnut-Shells-Reptile-Bedding.aspx

healthy squirt of Mequiars mixed with the media before dumping in the brass

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/a1216-cleaner-wax-liquid/

Oh yeah, don't sue me if not satisfied.
If I was to start over, I'd be looking at stainless media and the rcbs tumbler. Throw in a Dillon seperator and call it good.
Originally Posted by Higbean
If I was to start over, I'd be looking at stainless media and the rcbs tumbler. Throw in a Dillon seperator and call it good.

Me too. But then I would have to offer a brass cleaning service to help offset the capital expenditure. grin
I have a couple of big Lyman tumblers

one with Petco walnut for heavy cleaning

the other with Petco corncob mostly used for cleaning sizing lube from loaded ammo
Thumblers Tumbler with stainless steel media is the only way to go

Lemmi Shine and a squirt of dish soap

[Linked Image]
I'm seriously considering getting this:

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/products/media/stainless-tumbling-media.html

and this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

The cheapy tumbler requires a bit of maintenance, but a lot of
brass can be cleaned for $100!!
Everyone, thank you for all of your insight and ideas.

That stainless steel pin media looks interesting.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis
Originally Posted by DannoBoone

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/products/media/stainless-tumbling-media.html

and this:

Great idea, thank you, DannoBoone.
I've got a couple of '90s era Midway tumblers and one newer version. Use walnut and corn cob media from pet or farms stores. Cheap and works well.
Originally Posted by Yalie
Originally Posted by DannoBoone

and this:

Great idea, thank you, DannoBoone.

I should add that it would be good for anyone considering the
above mentioned tumbler to read the reviews on that site prior
to making a decision. There seems to be a weight limit to
observe and maintenance for any kind of life longevity.
Have been using a Thumblers Tumbler UV18, for 23 yrs very well made!
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

[Linked Image]

This is what I teried. RESULTS: Got rid of regular tumblers in a hurry. I'll never go back to a vibrating tumbler with media. PS with the stainless steel tumbling it cleans the primer pockets as well.

[Linked Image]

This is the way to go. I just cleaned a batch of LC43 30 carbine brass this afternoon. It looks like it just left the factory.

405wcf
Originally Posted by carbon12
Midway tumbler

Lizard bedding

http://www.petco.com/product/102881/Zilla-Ground-English-Walnut-Shells-Reptile-Bedding.aspx

Oh yeah, don't sue me if not satisfied.

I use the solid green stick of jewellers rouge from home depot.
I just built myself an extreme heavy duty rotary tumbler. Had an AC motor lying around, so I ordered some pillow blocks and two 1/2" shafts off EBAY, then bought a belt and ordered just the tumbler barrel from Thumlers. Took an afternoon to build it and it works great! I can load a bit heavier than a normal Thumlers and NO belt slippage. Cost was minimally more than what a complete Thumlers is.
I'm relatively new to reloading, 6 years now, and went through 2 RCBS tumblers before I bought a Thumlers UV18. Very quiet and does a much better job than the RCBS or my Buds Lyman. I'm gonna have to try out the SS media though

[Linked Image]

YUP!
I had two midway tumblers which didn't last very long. Now have a Cabelas tumbler. Really like this one. Sounds stupid but the knob on the lid is a great idea. Can spin it instead of turning a wing nut slowly turn by turn. Hard to loose it too.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Model-Vibratory-Case-Tumbler-Kit/731769.uts
Question do you resize and de prime then put your brass in the tumbler
Decap
Tumble
Anneal
Size
Trim and Chamfer if needed
Prime
Load
Originally Posted by pseshooter300
Question do you resize and de prime then put your brass in the tumbler

Yes, that way you can clean the sizing lube and primer pockets too.
If you decide to go the SS wet route Google bulldawg Tumbler or just build it yourself. I'm in the process of doing just thatmmyself now. It can be made as easy or difficult d you like.
But I will say stainless Is certainly the way to go.

[Linked Image]

This is what I use. Love it
I currently have been using RCBS vibratory cleaner with corn and dryer sheet cut into small squares. I'm always tempted to size right away then tumble, but I'm too afraid of getting sand into the die and scratching it. So I tumble clean, size, then re-tumble for about an hour to get the lube off, then clean the primer pockets.
When my tumbler dies, I'm definitely going to get a rotary tumbler with the stainless media.

FYI: if your using a tumbler or vibratory cleaner with media, invest in one of those media separators or sifter. It sure beats digging through the media to grab each case.
I've been hesitate to go the stainless media route. I can't like the thought of rinsing and drying cases. I'm afraid my impatience would set in and I'd end up with rounds loaded with wet powder. It'd keep me awake at night.
Decap
Tumble
Anneal
Size
Prime
Load

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but have a RCBS Sidewinder on the way, and this is what I was looking for. Any secret measurements for the dish soap, Lemishine, and water (+ 5 lbs of SS pins) recipe or just a squirt, a dash, and let her go for a couple of hours? How are you drying the cases......oven, compressed air, etc?
I ordered a SS setup, should get it in soon. We have a drip oil stove here on our camp, I am planning on dumping the cases onto a cookie sheet on top of the stove. I am excited to see how shiny the cases get. My old vibratory tumbler worked OK but I wasn't completely satisfied.
Been using the SS media for a while and ceramic before that, and using a cheap $50 food dehydrator the round type with the trays it dries the brass in less than a hour and holds way more brass than both of my tumblers drums
Well, I went ahead and got the cheapy dual tumbler from
Harbor Freight, along with some stainless pins on line.
The brass turned out just like this guy's brass did:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/388461-sold-wet-tumbling-ss-pins.html
Here is an old post of mine:

I just wanted to show a few pictures of some brass I've been working on the past couple of weeks. I say weeks, because of being able to work on the brass in stages as I get a chance.

First, I was sent some brass from a generous AR member and I had a few odds and ends laying around from factory loads of my own.

Here is a picture of the brass prior to cleaning.
[Linked Image]

The brass after cleaning in my tumbler with stainless steel media.
[Linked Image]

Running the brass thru my annealing machine.
[Linked Image]

The brass after annealing. You can see the annealing marks just below the shoulder.
[Linked Image]

The brass is now ready to be sized, prepped, etc. and used as needed.
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Decap
Tumble
Anneal
Size
Prime
Load

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but have a RCBS Sidewinder on the way, and this is what I was looking for. Any secret measurements for the dish soap, Lemishine, and water (+ 5 lbs of SS pins) recipe or just a squirt, a dash, and let her go for a couple of hours? How are you drying the cases......oven, compressed air, etc?

I don't know anything about the RCBS Sidewinder, but the Thumbler's Tumbler supposedly is limited to a 15-pound gross weight load. The instructions say X amount of cases can go in the drum and then they say to fill the drum up to some point with water (I can't find the danged instruction card or I would quote it...but who in hell reads or even needs instructions? ;)). I decided I'd rather tumble more brass and less water, so I will put the drum on the bath scales and fill it with brass until I've got about a 13- or 14-pound load, and then I add water to bring it up to 15 pounds. I actually cheat a bit and go to 16 pounds. This works just fine and I think I'm getting a little more production this way.

As far as the amount of detergent and Lemishine, I follow the recommendation on the amount of Lemishine but I don't worry too much about the amount of detergent. A generous squirt of the stuff seems to be sufficient.
A lot of years ago when I was doing a bunch of pistol shooting, I bought a Lyman Turbo 3200 because it waould do a gallon icecream container full of 38 Spl brass easily. Those heavy use pistol days are over now mostly, but the Lyman still does good duty on all my cleaning needs. I use treated corncob media and add a splash of Lyman Turbo shine. Couple hours cleans up the brass nicely.
Originally Posted by the_shootist
A lot of years ago when I was doing a bunch of pistol shooting, I bought a Lyman Turbo 3200 because it waould do a gallon icecream container full of 38 Spl brass easily. Those heavy use pistol days are over now mostly, but the Lyman still does good duty on all my cleaning needs. I use treated corncob media and add a splash of Lyman Turbo shine. Couple hours cleans up the brass nicely.

Those big old tumblers were nice. I bought a 2092 from Midway back in '91 or thereabouts and it would tumble a bucketful of brass all at once. It unfortunately bit the dust last summer. I started shopping around for something comparable, and I found a few but the prices were up there. That's why I sprung for stainless. If yours takes a dirt nap anytime soon, I'd urge you to make the transition. Shiny stuff can be irresistible!
I have the Hornady ultrasonic unit.

Using home brew and store bought ultrasonic solutions I'm not impressed.

My vibro bowl unit will always have a place in my shop for applying wax but my future is a Tumblers Tumbler and pins one day
I have three tumblers, each a different brand. They all clean brass. The Cabelas branded tumbler seems to take a little longer to get that spit and polish shine but it works. The only time I really notice the time difference is when I have all three going at once. I use the same media in all three and once in awhile I juice it up with some additive.
[quote=rcamuglia]Thumblers Tumbler with stainless steel media is the only way to go

I am using the Frankford Quick-EZ Case Tumbler with lizard bedding and not satisfied so looking at your suggestion and the link provided by someone. The stainless steel media is 5lb per the link. How many cleanings can you get from 5 lb? My guess is it lasts a long time so you only need to order 5lb?

What is the max number of brass can you put in with 5ln stainless media?

What tumbler do you use with this stainless steel media? Is it on their website too?

And how much Lemmi Shine and squirt of dish soap do you use? Do you mix in water and then put in with the tumbler? Afterwards so you have to rinse off the dish soap?

BTW your brass is what I want for my brass!
Valad, the media will last a lifetime. The number of cases you can tumble will be limited by the capacity of the tumbler used. Mine is a Thumbler's Tumbler and it's rated at 15 pounds gross, but I generally push it a bit to about 16 pounds. In a previous (above) post I told how I get a bit more brass into a load. I couldn't say how much more brass I'm tumbling than the instructions would have you doing, I haven't counted them out. All I know for sure is that I'm not tumbling as much water as the instructions direct and I'm making up the weight difference with more brass per load.
I see what you mean. Well I doubt I shoot that much to need to tumble a lot of brass. Not sure how many say .270 brass will get 15 lbs but guess I can play around with this. So you have the Thumblers Tumbler. Will have to see how much this costs. Do the ones from Harbor Freight work good as well? Reason for asking is because "I want to buy once and cry once" hehe.
I couldn't speak to the quality of any rotary tumbler other than the Thumbler's. I have one and my neighbor have one and there's nothing wrong with them IMO.

To clarify, the model I use requires the weight of the drum filled with the media, brass, and water be no more than 15 pounds (but as I said I am pushing a few ounces over than). Less water, more brass.
The new Frankfort Arsenal stainless media tumbler is awesome.

I bought one to upgrades from the smaller rock tumbler style stainless tumbler I have. It spins almost twice as fast as the old red one I have, and holds a good deal more volume of brass.

A plus on that one!

Spot

Originally Posted by ctsmith
I've been hesitate to go the stainless media route. I can't like the thought of rinsing and drying cases. I'm afraid my impatience would set in and I'd end up with rounds loaded with wet powder. It'd keep me awake at night.

+1 Anyone used the Frankford tumbler with just plain dry media? The one thing that I like about the Frankford, and sets it apart, is the built-in timer.
© 24hourcampfire