Home
Posted By: Gasman Nosler brass question - 04/14/14
Anyone know if Nosler obtains their 280 Rem brass from the same source as their 280 Ackley brass? Does their 280 Rem brass have the same capacity as their 280 AI brass once it's fireformed?

Posted By: Highoctane Re: Nosler brass question - 04/14/14
I believe Nosler brass is manufactured by Norma...Why fireform when brass is available, unless fireforming is some how therapeutic for you..... grin
Posted By: Gasman Re: Nosler brass question - 04/15/14
Some, but not all, Nosler brass is made by Norma. Other times, it seems to have been sourced from Federal, Winchester, Hornady IIRC, etc. So, I'd like to know if both their 280 Rem and 280 AI brass come from Norma.

Why fireform? I have 280 AI brass, but as Nosler's 280 Rem brass is quite a bit cheaper than their Ackley version and I was planning to load up some practice/range rounds anyway, I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and fireform at the same time - if the brass is the same. Otherwise I'll stick with Nosler's 280 AI brass.

BTW, the rifle hasn't been built yet (waiting on the stock), so I'm just in the process of picking up components.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Nosler brass question - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by Gasman
Some, but not all, Nosler brass is made by Norma. Other times, it seems to have been sourced from Federal, Winchester, Hornady IIRC, etc. So, I'd like to know if both their 280 Rem and 280 AI brass come from Norma.

I would venture to bet that seeings how NormaUSA has 280 brass listed, that they also supply Nosler. Norma's brass offerings have grown considerably since they opened a US affiliate. As far as case capacity, that will pretty much be determined by the specs of your chamber.
Posted By: LJB Re: Nosler brass question - 04/16/14
I am in the middle of developing loads for a .280 and have used both Norma and Nosler brass. Norma brass weighs approximately 181 grains. Nosler brass weighs about 200 grains. Norma .280 brass does not handle heavy loads as well as the Nosler brass. Case heads expand more and primer pockets loosen much sooner than the Nosler brass. Which is odd because I use Norma brass in many other calibers and don't see this happening. Norma may make Nosler .280 brass, but the Norma .280 and Nosler .280 brass are definitely not the same.
Posted By: Gasman Re: Nosler brass question - 04/16/14
LJB,

Perfect! That's the information that I was looking for...thanks!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Nosler brass question - 04/16/14
Curious, I use nosler and Norma in a 25.06, and have not experienced case problems from either. Also use them both in a 22.250 without any premature/undesirable consequences. Run Norma brass in a 220 Swift pushing max loads for a dozen or so firings with no problems as you describe.
© 24hourcampfire