Home
Posted By: Old_Crab to anneal or not-to anneal? - 05/06/14
Hi
Am reloading for a 30-06. Standard velocity 165 or 168 grain spitzers.
Have Winchester brass.
Generally have reloaded about 5 times and tossed the brass in previous years.
Would I be smarter to learn how to properly anneal the neck/shoulder area, and keep on reloading, or, am I looking at too much probability of incipient head problems if I pushed past about 5 reloads anyway?
Also, would I be smarter to pay the premium for Lapua brass and possibly get a couple more reloads on that brass?
What say you?
Anneal every 4 loadings, size with LCD until sized brass chambers snug, then bump the shoulder back a couple thou. Get 20 firings out a case that way wink
Is "LCD" a company, or a type of die?
also, what method do you use to anneal the case?
Posted By: RDW Re: to anneal or not-to anneal? - 05/06/14
Lee Collet Die.
Got it.... size the neck with a Lee Collet die until the shoulder on the 06 case is too tight, then set the normal resizing die to just bump back a couple thousandths.... makes sense.
What about the best method to anneal for a rookie at that process? Suggestions?
For a rookie the best way is probably the candle method that Mule Deer has written about. Maybe send him a PM and ask about where to find that.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: to anneal or not-to anneal? - 05/06/14
I sometimes wonder if a lot of us (including and especially me) fool ourselves with annealing. I am not sure that I have really accomplished anything or that I sometimes haven't taken a bunch of cases that are of fairly uniform tension and made them less so.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hold head of case in fingers, rotating in flame until the green streak you painted on the inside of the case mouth melts...

Originally Posted by smokepole
For a rookie the best way is probably the candle method that Mule Deer has written about. Maybe send him a PM and ask about where to find that.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._re_quenching_after_annealin#Post4503090
Thanks to all for this information. Much appreciated.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's such a big deal about posting a couple of pics of some ratty looking Remington 223 brass?

Well it was range pick up brass, and I did an experiment ( originally with 10 pieces, but 3 got screwed up at the reloading press by operator error )

But using a regimen of neck sizing with a Lee Collet Die, and bumping the shoulder back every 4th or 5th time with a Redding Body die and Annealing every 4th time.... and shooting 55 grain bullets thru a Rem ADL....

These pieces have been reloaded 101 times... primer pockets are still tight enough to reload again...

a little prudence at the power scale ( loaded with 12.5 grains of Blue Dot), I find max at 13.5 with that bullet weight...

So to Anneal or NOT to? Count me into the Anneal Your Brass Camp...
© 24hourcampfire