Home
When you find a good hunting load or target load, how many rounds do you load up???
Depends on the cartridge/rifle. I have FAR more 223AI loaded than say 35 Whelen.
I have many more 38 wadcutters than 12 gauge.
I keep a box of 50 big game loads on hand. When I'm loading for target, I tend to load in lots of 500 because I buy my bullets by 500.
Probably about 100 for the 270, 100 for the 260, and 200 or maybe 300 for the 223. I run through the 223 the fastest year round, and run through the 260 the fastest during coyote/pig/deer season. I can always make more on short notice.

You can never have too much...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
and how many guys will admit to having 29 rounds of this caliber, 17 rounds for that caliber etc... from all the ammo left over you didn't shoot from previous seasons...

Plus you can shoot one or two deer, but each season you load of 40 to 50 rounds for 12 different calibers or rifles each season...
Ah, I'm not sure how you could avoid such an awful situation. But what a great problem.
Typically, between 20-30 rounds. But that's often dictated by the components I have remaining once a load has been finalized. I'll only have 25 bullets left in the box, or enough powder in that lot to load 30 rounds, or that particular lot of powder is shared between a bunch of loads in different calibers and I don't want to use it all up on a single load, etc.

If none of those were concerns, I'd probably load up 50 rounds and call it good. Between checking zero and taking game that should last me a good number of years...
Seafire, I know what you are talking about. I didn't even mention the loads for the 308 or the 220 Swift. I have a lot of ammo, and as yet, the Zombies haven't shown up. I'll shoot a couple of deer each year for the freezer and 10 or 20 hogs and 20 or 30 coyotes and many many targets. And with the 223, my wife is always on the lookout for armadillos in her flower beds (capital offense). And also with the 223, the grandkids just LOVE to blow up water bottles of all sizes. That little Nosler 40 grainer will explode those water bottles, and the grandkids can shoot a hundred rounds and not put me in the poor house. My tiny little 9 year old granddaughter is quite a shooter. That makes me very happy.
100 to 500 depending on caliber
Hmmm...

I am absolutely faithless to any rifle or caliber. And, I know it. By and large I load a box of 20 or so for deer hunting rifles. I only have one 30-30 and it goes to camp every year so I load more for it. .223 varmint ammo gets loaded by the hundreds.
I have roughly a thousand rounds of 338-06 with 53 grains of Reloader 15 under 210 Noslers
50- (number of rounds it took for final sight in and rounds actually used) + (the rounds I had left from load work up)

I try to start with 100 cases of the same firing (or new and of the same lot), 100 bullets and 1 sleeve of primers. After I find a combo I like I load the rest up and use them till I'm out. Rinse and repeat.
Well, your question made me look!
I have over 2000 .22LR, 500 .222Rem, 500 22-250, 350 25-06, 50 270, 120 270 Weatherby Mag, 2 x 200 300 WinMag (different rifles), 200 338 WinMag, 50 340 Weatherby Mag, 100 338 Edge, 100 375 Weatherby Mag, 200 44 RemMag, 50 416 Rigby, 50 458 Lott and 20 505 Gibbs. But, I have enough components in stock to easily double that, only lacking 300 and 25-06 brass at this stage.

Another thing, I'm running out of room for it all.

Cheers. grin
About 50-100 maybe a few more in some cases. If I am loading out of 1 lb cans of powder, I will either load until that can is gone or will mark the can that it is to used for that gun only.

Varmint rounds I will load 300-500 depending as you go thru a lot of ammo p-dog hunting in a day if your in a good spot.
I generally load 50 at a time, but depending on caliber, bullet, and use, I'll have anything from 20 to several hundred of a specific load ready to go. For big game hunting, if the gun is going to be sighted in for a certain something, I'll have at least 20 of that ready to go. I haven't used more than 20 shots for zero refinement and hunting in a given BG hunting season since I started loading my own ammo, and usually much less, like 6 shots in a given firearm.
I'm about to load 5000 9mm, 5000 223, and probably 500 308 (not sure how many 308 bullets I have.
Originally Posted by mailmanmark
When you find a good hunting load or target load, how many rounds do you load up???

Travis
Loos like I'm a small batch guy. Usually load up 50 or so.
I tend to load in batches of 50.
Big game rifles I keep 40 rounds ready to go. I have several hundred at any one time for my M1's M14's and AR's. When components are available I have ammo cans with 1000 rounds each of 9mm 40 and 45 ACP. Trap loads for my Krighoff number 500 before a match.
Depending on the caliber like most have said..
My favorite big game rifles, I usually load in lots of 50 rds.. Except for a couple loads I have used for many years, I often try new bullets or powders, so 50 is enough for those..
For my big .22's usually a couple hundred per rifle.. .22-250's and Swifts..
For my .222 and .223, the last few years I have only loaded maybe 500 .223's and a couple hundred .222's.. P. dog shooting went south, so no need for a lot of loads on hand..
Have probably 1000 Hornets loaded with various loads.. Shoot some g. squirrels with this.
.22 mag. probably about 2000 rds..

I tend at 40 or so for anything larger than a 7mm - of hunting loads. I keep 2-750 loaded for each gun at any given time for general shooting purposes. I tend to load in smaller batches mostly because I don't like standing at the loading bench to crank out a thousand. I'd rather do batches of 3-400 a couple of times rather than 1000 all at once. I have a Dillon for major handgun supply but don't use it for anything else.
I usually load in lots of 100 after a rifle load is developed.
I generally load 50 or 100 target or blasting rounds at a time, and 20 or 50 hunting rounds. Really depends upon the cartridge/rifle/time of year.

I do a lot of my loading during the winter when fighting off the shack nasties and occasionally lose control and end up with a few hundred smile .
© 24hourcampfire