Home
Picked up some 6mm 90gr Etips to try out in my 243, what have been your experiences with them? Are they like Barnes bullets and like to be seated deep and pushed hard or close to the lands?
What has been your on game experience?
I tried the same bullet in a new Cooper 6mm Remington. Never could get decent accuracy. Varied seating depth, tried different powders, etc. before giving up. I have tried E-tips in other calibers with similar results.

However, I did have a Remington .270 that shot the 130 grain E-Tip very well. Deep seating, as often recommended with this bullet, did not work as well as seating the bullet way out.

I'll not condemn the bullet or design as many folks seem to have great success with the E-Tip. I've found the Barnes TXS BT much easier to work with, but here again, deep seating isn't the answer with every rifle.
I've tried a lot of 30 cal 150 etips, loaded lots of different ways, in a lot of different rifles and I've yet to find anything that will shoot consistently well. Pretty much given up on them except for trying what I have on hand in new rifles to see if the rifle will like them. Barnes and GMX have been far, far easier to find loads that shoot consistently well,
I had the opposite results. It may have just been dumb luck but in my 270wsm, I had a decent recipe with 140 accubonds over i4350 that would shoot around 1 moa. I decided to try 130 etips over i4350. My groups shrank to about 1/2 moa. My rifle is a custom lightweight 700 with a 22" tube and I actually god better velocity than I expected. I got around 3225fps(if memory suits me) with a pretty moderate charge.
The 180 shoots well in my .300 RUM. mtmuley
Per Nosler, 90 gr E-Tips in .243 require a 1:9 or faster barrel twist rate.
Per Nosler, 90 gr E-Tips in .243 require a 1:9 or faster barrel twist rate.
DANL2- Thank you for the information. I was unaware a faster twist was required.
I have a 9.25 twist
© 24hourcampfire