Home
I am considering buying a basic forster 260 seating die and am wondering if it will work with seating the 140 or 130 VLD bullets or will I need to get a different seating stem??? Also, if using a special seating stem, will that stem work for standard bullets or would I have to switch back?
Just got my 260 seater in. Took it apart and examined the seating plug. It fits the VLD bullets perfectly. Nice to know I don't need a separate seating plug. Just FYI. My rcbs and Hornady seaters don't fit the vld's due to the point bottoming out before the sides of the bullet contact the seater's edges.
Forsters as you now know fit perfectly. Redding makes a special VLD seater plug for their dies otherwise they won't work(technically they do but I've experienced crazy runout using their standard seater and VLD's).

Whidden seaters also fit VLD's perfectly.
Get a vld chamfer tool and chamfer the inside of the seater plug.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/342199/lyman-chamfer-tool-vld-very-low-drag?cm_vc=ProductFinding
I seat some Berger 115 VLDs for my 25-06 with a Redding Competition Seater. The seater plug works great with the 115s without runout or OAL variance issues (the bullet tips do not touch the end of the seating stem), no need to purchase another.

When I was seating some .30 cal 185 VLD's, I grabbed a .264 seater stem and it worked just fine.
© 24hourcampfire