Home
Posted By: tcp dented brass ? - 11/17/14
If the brass gets a moderate sized dent in the body of the brass near the shoulder, due to resizing with excess lube or trapped air in the die, is there any reason the brass cannot be reloaded?

The dent should "fire form" out, correct? How big a dent before the brass is junk? - Thanks
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: dented brass ? - 11/17/14
Nope, load it and shoot it.
Posted By: ro1459 Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
Different strokes...Any crimps, dents or cracks, I throw them away. How much does a shell cost you and is it worth a problem?
Posted By: imgoofy Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
Load and shoot
Posted By: denton Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
50-60 KPSI from inside the case will iron out a dent on the side of a case in a hurry. Dents on the neck are a problem, and I think should be discarded.
Posted By: mog75 Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
I load them. The dents are gone the next time I reload them. It doesn't happen very often now that I switched to the hornady one shot.
Posted By: CLB Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
As long as the round chamber, go shoot it.

Before reloading, pick up a tin of Imperial.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by ro1459
Different strokes...Any crimps, dents or cracks, I throw them away. How much does a shell cost you and is it worth a problem?

Crack = problem

Problem = goes in trash

Dent = not problem

Not problem = not problem

I 2nd the motion for Imperial
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by ro1459

Crack = problem

Problem = goes in trash

Dent = not problem

Not problem = not problem

I 2nd the motion for Imperial

Yup!
Posted By: gemby58 Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
Originally Posted by CLB
pick up a tin of Imperial.

Ill 2nd that, one tin will last you a very long time, your never see a dent again from sizing.
Posted By: imgoofy Re: dented brass ? - 11/18/14
I'll add a third to the Imperial, great stuff it is!
Posted By: smokepole Re: dented brass ? - 11/19/14
I spread it on my toast, it's great!!
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: dented brass ? - 11/21/14
I started using imperial recently too. Good stuff.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: dented brass ? - 11/21/14
Dents in brass usually result from using too much lube but can also be a result of a plugged vent hole in the die not allowing air/lube to escape. Run a needle or small drill thru the vent hole to be sure it is not clogged. Switching lube as suggested by other posters is a good idea too.
Posted By: spj Re: dented brass ? - 11/22/14
Stop putting lube on shoulders.......problem solved!
Posted By: Ringman Re: dented brass ? - 11/22/14
I stopped using Imperial and full length sizing became a lot easier.
Posted By: Higginez Re: dented brass ? - 11/22/14
Originally Posted by Ringman
I stopped using Imperial and full length sizing became a lot easier.

Holy crap.
Posted By: lastround Re: dented brass ? - 11/23/14
I use Imperial for small batches and re-forming brass but it is slow. For large amounts, I use One Shot but am careful to let it dry before re-sizing. RCBS dies have the vent hole referred to above; Redding's dies do not. I found that I got more dents with Redding unless I was very careful. Just me.........
Posted By: Ringman Re: dented brass ? - 11/23/14
One Shot is the only thing I use. And yes I let it dry.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: dented brass ? - 11/23/14
Imperial is good stuff. And one tin lasts....well, my brother bought a tin 21 years ago that he is still using. He does use lube sparingly, but he has sized at least 10,000 cases with that one tin. I use it less sparingly. Our dad used it, and never thought of switching to anything else. I did try a few others a long time ago, but went back to the Imperial. It just works well with so little in application, even on long and heavy cases.

As far as dents go, they shoot right out! Sparing use of lube helps, and cleaning dies regularly when using them. Cracks are not dents, and cracks are a problem. Dents in the neck should size right out.
Posted By: les7mm Re: dented brass ? - 12/05/14
load and let it rip
Posted By: 1minute Re: dented brass ? - 12/05/14
Load and shoot. Lots of folks way overdo lube. I use RCBS goo from the 60's and a lube pad. When I lube a cartridge, I can feels its presence but not see a thing. Also, I only lube every other cartridge.
Posted By: achadwick Re: dented brass ? - 12/05/14
This, IMHO:

Originally Posted by denton
50-60 KPSI from inside the case will iron out a dent on the side of a case in a hurry. Dents on the neck are a problem, and I think should be discarded.
Posted By: Bob338 Re: dented brass ? - 12/06/14
Originally Posted by 1minute
Load and shoot. Lots of folks way overdo lube. I use RCBS goo from the 60's and a lube pad. When I lube a cartridge, I can feels its presence but not see a thing. Also, I only lube every other cartridge.

This. Dents anywhere are seldom a problem, necks or bodies. Necks clean with expanders, bodies with powder and/or loading.
© 24hourcampfire