Home
Posted By: Sportdog Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
If this has been beat to death I apologize but I am very frustrated trying to get brass for my 7mmWSM and 300SAUM. I know that these are not garden variety chamberings but they are great performers and if Winchester and Remington saw fit to sell rifles they ought to provide retail brass for the owners. I know, I'm dreaming. I guess that we are all supposed to shoot 223, 270, 308, 30-06, or 30-30. Just had to get this off my chest!!!
Posted By: RWE Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by Sportdog
I guess that we are all supposed to shoot 223, 270, 308, 30-06, or 30-30. Just had to get this off my chest!!!

Well, everything but the 270.
It seems like brass is the last thing to become available during this shortage. Primers, most powders and bullets can be found, but brass, not so much.
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
I think with bullets and powder you get what they have but primers are pretty good now.

Brass is ridiculous and I agree with the poster that if manufacturers are going to introduce new rounds they should be ready to support those who have bought the rifles over the long haul. Be glad you didn't buy a 6.5 Rem mag or a 350 Rem mag!
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
Ken, I'd just form em out of 7 mag brass. Muddy
Posted By: Reloader7RM Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by muddy22
Ken, I'd just form em out of 7 mag brass. Muddy

That would be a chore.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14

For now..just buy new guns for the brass that's available....

.......... grin...............
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
The common stuff is just now starting to become available. They are probably still running 24/7 to crank out 223 and -06 so it will be a while before anyone can set up to run some of the less common stuff. You may have to just buy factory loads just for the brass. At some of the prices I have seen quoted it almost looks like a toss up.
And yeah, it sucks
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by RWE
I guess that we are all supposed to shoot 223, 270, 308, 30-06, or 30-30. Just had to get this off my chest!!!

Local Sportsman's Warehouse is out of every kind of rifle brass except .222 and .270; they have at least a dozen bags each of those... wink
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/17/14
Originally Posted by RWE

Yeah all those wonderful ballistics are worth a lot more than a 270 when you can't shoot them,right? LOL.......sizzle over steak. wink
Posted By: Sportdog Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
FWIW I do own 2 223's, 2 243's, a 270, 2 7mmWSM, a 7mm RemMag, 4 30-06's, 2 300SAUM's, a 300 WinMag, and a 8mm Mauser. It's not like I can't hunt or shoot but I want to shoot my "unpopular" chamberings too.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
sportdog we are all in the same boat..less popular chamberings can be a PITA.I saw some discounted factory ammo in 7mm WSM recently...might have been some brass too. I will look for you next time I am at that store.
Posted By: Sportdog Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
Originally Posted by BobinNH
sportdog we are all in the same boat..less popular chamberings can be a PITA.I saw some discounted factory ammo in 7mm WSM recently...might have been some brass too. I will look for you next time I am at that store.
Very kind of you. Thank you!
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
http://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/300saum

David
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
The best chance I saw at 7WSM brass was Midway, they were supposed to get it in 16 Oct 14. Been overdue since.

Everywhere else has been out of stock for about 8 months, at least.

Stock up if you actually find it.
Originally Posted by RememberBaker
It seems like brass is the last thing to become available during this shortage. Primers, most powders and bullets can be found, but brass, not so much.

My local Cabelas has had less than 5 pound of powder over my last 3 visits.Powder is not easy to get in the mid west.
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
If this has been beat to death I apologize but I am very frustrated trying to get brass for my 7mmWSM and 300SAUM. I know that these are not garden variety chamberings but they are great performers and if Winchester and Remington saw fit to sell rifles they ought to provide retail brass for the owners. I know, I'm dreaming. I guess that we are all supposed to shoot 223, 270, 308, 30-06, or 30-30. Just had to get this off my chest!!!

I know you're looking for brass, but the local billings MT Scheels has several boxes of Federal Fusion 150 gr ammo....:)
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
Believe it or not, the ammunition companies aren't going to offer empty brass in less popular cases when customers who don't handload want ammo. It's another instance of simple economics: Only so many cases can be cranked out, and BOTH handloaders and nonhandloaders can make use of ammo.

This may not be what handloaders want, but when everybody it still buying just about every kind of brass that shows up, anywhere, it's the only rational way to allocate cases.
Posted By: imgoofy Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This may not be what handloaders want, but when everybody it still buying just about every kind of brass that shows up, anywhere, it's the only rational way to allocate cases.

I heard that. I just picked up 100 rounds of Fusion ammo in 300 WSM just to get a round that wasn't loaded in nickel brass. I'll use it to break in the barrel and shoot a few deer, then begin proper load development.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
If this has been beat to death I apologize but I am very frustrated trying to get brass for my 7mmWSM and 300SAUM.

For the 7 WSM, I'd gone to forming it from 300 WSM even before the brass shortage due to the poor quality of WW 7 WSM brass. Just neck down the 300 WSM to get a crush fit and you're good to go. 300 WSM is available.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

My local Cabelas has had less than 5 pound of powder over my last 3 visits.Powder is not easy to get in the mid west.

I was at a local "mom and pop" gun store the other day and they had a surprising amount and variety of powder, primers and bullets. You might have better luck and some of the small independent stores. Of course don't expect bargains...
Posted By: JGray Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/18/14
Originally Posted by imgoofy
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I heard that. I just picked up 100 rounds of Fusion ammo in 300 WSM just to get a round that wasn't loaded in nickel brass. I'll use it to break in the barrel and shoot a few deer, then begin proper load development.

Same here - bought some Hornady 257 Roberts factory ammo since no brass seems to be available. Not my first choice, but will get me where I need to go...
Posted By: FishinHank Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/19/14
Cabelas online seems to carry 300SAUM brass about once or twice a year. I check it at least once a week and it goes pretty fast when they have it in stock.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/19/14
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

I see 7828 and 50 BMG quite regularly��maybe 'cause those number aren't real effective in the ZAR weapons so popular these days.

Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/19/14
Zombie Apocalypse Rifles, that is�.
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Where's The Brass???? - 12/19/14
Well if you could sell 10 times as much brass as another type, which one would you make?
Cabelas seem to get brass in regularly, they have filled two back orders for me recently. WW 30-06 and 7 WSM. I bought 500 of each.
© 24hourcampfire