Home
Does all factory brass and ammo come initially annealed? Just wondering if it may make sense to anneal before firing new brass of if it makes more sense to wait until it's fire 3 or 4 times and then anneal it.

Thanks,
Mike
Unless a factory screws up (and they rarely do) all new brass is annealed. Annealing after 3-4 firings normally works well, but some people anneal after every firing.

If I'm getting split necks with new brass should I anneal it?
Yes...
In the BPCR realm, Starline suggests 45-70, 90, 100, etc shooters anneal their brass before loading. Makes me think they do not go through that exercise at the plant.
Never was aware of that. Gotta wonder what other deep dark secrets they're sitting on.
Don't know it for fact but I don't believe straight cartridges are annealed as there is very little forming involved and there's truly no need to anneal. All bottle neck cartridges are annealed in the final steps.
Yes they are annealed, but historically federal brass is too soft, and Norma and Lapua brass are hard from the factory. Factory brass starts out in the shape of a thick quarter, and gets formed in the process and is annealed along the way and or at the end.

I anneal mine - the less you work brass the less chance it will get hard
© 24hourcampfire