Home
After reading Mule Deer's book "The First Five Years" he says that some of the factors that mattered the most at 100 yards were:
1) Internal bullet balance
2) Concentricity w. Case Body
3) Uniform neck thickness
4)Weigh/Sort brass

My question specifically is to #4 on this post.

I'm weighing some new Nosler 7-08 Brass (first time I've attempted to sort brass this way).
All the new cases have a neck thickness of .002-.003 (90% are .002).
Weighing the first few they come in at 169 grains. So when weighing and separating according to the above criteria in #4....

WHAT SORTING PILES DO I PUT THEM INTO ACCORDING TO WEIGHT?
Is the normal variance 10%? 5%? 2grams, 2 grains??

Just trying to learn at this point, loading for a single shot Luxus (NOT a target gun) but I want to learn, and I just got the Forster case measurer tool that measures run out and neck thickness.

Thanks!
Unless you are buying seconds, Nosler brass is already weight sorted.
Originally Posted by blsjr
After reading Mule Deer's book "The First Five Years" he says that some of the factors that mattered the most at 100 yards were:
4)Weigh/Sort brass

I'm weighing some new Nosler 7-08 Brass (first time I've attempted to sort brass this way).
Weighing the first few they come in at 169 grains. So when weighing and separating according to the above criteria in #4....

Just trying to learn at this point, loading for a single shot Luxus (NOT a target gun) but I want to learn, and I just got the Forster case measurer tool that measures run out and neck thickness.

Thanks!

Welcome to the fire. Are you unemployed? Or just really bored???
Originally Posted by blsjr
4)Weigh/Sort brass

Thanks!

I'm a bit concerned about this. If that many of your cases have neck thickness variation in excess of .001" then that's a crap lot.
Originally Posted by mathman

I'm a bit concerned about this. If that many of your cases have neck thickness variation in excess of .001" then that's a crap lot.

Welcome to the fire.

I'd have to agree with Mathman.

With that much variation there is no way you will see under 6" 1000 yd groups. laugh

Shod

Smartass! grin

Do we have a problem with the decimal places?
Brass at .002/.003" is paper thin.
Thinking the dimension is more like .020/.030" or somewhere in between.
Don't think I have ever seen neck thickness less than .014" out of the box.
Heck 22 rim fire brass is .010 or more.
In a hunting gun, a thickness range or .002" would be acceptable at my house. But then I gave up being anal about it a while back.

A weight range of 2-3 grains is also acceptable in my lot assignments of brass. That usually leaves a few outside both ends of the weight range 90% fall into and those become separate lots.

I leave bullet balance to the mfrs and never messed with concentricity.
But then I gave being anal about it a while back.
To each his own, it's our right.
Tim
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Do we have a problem with the decimal places?
Brass at .002/.003" is paper thin.
Thinking the dimension is more like .020/.030" or somewhere in between.
Don't think I have ever seen neck thickness less than .014" out of the box.
Heck 22 rim fire brass is .010 or more.
In a hunting gun, a thickness range or .002" would be acceptable at my house. But then I gave up being anal about it a while back.

A weight range of 2-3 grains is also acceptable in my lot assignments of brass. That usually leaves a few outside both ends of the weight range 90% fall into and those become separate lots.

I leave bullet balance to the mfrs and never messed with concentricity.
But then I gave being anal about it a while back.
To each his own, it's our right.
Tim

I did a little interpretation of the OP and figured he meant thickness variation.

Not all rifles can resolve improvements, if they're even there, from all loading techniques. I have satisfied myself that getting runout of loaded cartridges below .004" is worthwhile even in sporter weight rifles when I'm after consistent results. It doesn't turn inch and a half guns into half inch guns, but it does help eliminate flyers and you might see you have a real MOA shooter. Crap brass throws a wrench into the works.

Today I'll be shooting a couple of accurate 308's, one medium-heavy and one heavy. The loads are proven, and the cartridges are all straight, runout less than .002". These rifles do show on target the effects of small improvements from the loading room. Since I'll be testing a suspect scope for a friend, I figured these rifles would be the best platform.
© 24hourcampfire