Home
Posted By: SLM Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
What do you guys usually see for run out on virgin Lapua brass? I've typically seen .002 +/-, but I started on a new box of 243 and am seeing as much as .006 with most being .004. The box of .308 bought at the same time is running .002 or less.

Thanks.

Posted By: 805 Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
My last 243 lapua box was exactly like yours. I ran them thru neck die just to straighten and then loaded.
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
I've never checked the runout on virgin brass as my fist move is to bump the neck over the resizing ball in the die to ensure that it's round. And then I only check run out on finished cartridges.
Posted By: SLM Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I've never checked the runout on virgin brass as my fist move is to bump the neck over the resizing ball in the die to ensure that it's round. And then I only check run out on finished cartridges.

That is all I normally do as well and runout is usually under .003. Checking run out on the first couple loaded rounds was .005 +/-, so I started checking the brass. Going through the 100 I found run out as high as .007.
Posted By: CLB Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
After running them over a button to uniform the necks, I would only measure to see how consistent neck thickness is. I sort these to my goals for neck thikness.

I feel it's a waste of time to get crazy about concentricity until after you fireform to your chamber. Measure after they are fired and along the way in your process. This way you can see when (and what die) got you pulled of course.

Your numbers for new lapua brass seem a bit high to me. Hopefully, they are not starting to have issues.

What other brass have you used and how did the numbers compare?

Posted By: SLM Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
Lapua brass is all I've loaded for a while. On all the 308 and other 243 brass I typically see .003+/- on the virgin loads. Like you say, I'm sure it will all work out. It's just not what I have typically seen with Lapua brass.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/26/14
I have mentioned it here before but my lot of 260 Rem brass has been awful, new or fired the runout has been bad. Not to mention the extreme softness and necks that vary in thickness. The Lapua 6.5x55 brass seems to be quite a bit better so far.
Posted By: CLB Re: Lapua brass runout ? - 12/28/14
That's not good to hear...
© 24hourcampfire