Home
Posted By: Slim_Sr 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/24/15
What bullet are you guys using for deer? Black bear?
What velocity?
Are you getting complete pass throughs?
Posted By: muddy22 Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/24/15
180 NPT, 2950, always. Muddy
I got a complete pass tru on a bull elk a couple months ago with the 180gr. Nosler partition.. Velocity was 2,950 fps..
Posted By: huntinaz Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/24/15
I have been very pleased so far with the 180gr Nosler Accubond in my 300WSM. A cow elk and two deer this year (coues, small) and results were all the same. Complete pass thru, quarter sized exit, minimal meat damage. I hit my deer bad (pelvis) and was very pleasantly surprised at how little meat was lost. Zipped thru, held together, and broke every bone along the way which is just what I wanted.

I know there are a bunch of theories on deer bullets, personally I think there is merit in all of them and they all work well. I prefer a tough bullet that will pass thru regardless of where I hit it.

Edit: Estimated velocity ~2900fps
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/24/15
180 Barns TSX
3050 Chronographed
Big doe
Passed through front of shoulders, dropped there, didn't twitch, 60 yards.
I was tuning it up for a moose hunt.

Later shot a Moose running away.
Two shots, both entered left rear hip, broke femur, exited rear of right front shoulder. Diagonally through about four foot of moose.

Jim
Posted By: hoghunting Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/24/15
I use Hornady 165 gr Interbonds and they work perfectly on deer and hogs - velocity 3140 fps. Except for some private ranches we don't have elk in TX, so I don't know how well the IB would work on them.
Posted By: Freddy Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/24/15
Barnes 165 gr ttsx, 3166 fps.
Posted By: 24mileboy Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/25/15
Partitions or Interlocks work on Elk for me!
Posted By: Slim_Sr Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/25/15
Thanks guys,

Seems like no one uses a 150gr bullet....

Are they too light?
Posted By: JBO69 Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/25/15
don't over look the 155 scenar.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/25/15
Slim Sr,

I used 150-grain Ballistic Tips on a couple pronghorns from the .300 WSM and both went on through, but ruined too much meat for me, even when shooting at 200+ yards. I switched to the 180 AccuBond which killed just as well but didn't shoot up as much meat.

A lot would depend on what ranges you're talking about. The .300 WSM really isn't a super-zapper type .300 magnum, but if your shots might be at closer ranges and you want to use 150's I'd go with one of the tougher bullets. With 180's or even 165's about any bullet will work well, including Hornady Interlocks, and the Nosler Ballistic Tips in those weights have heavy enough jackets for anything under 1000 pounds.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Slim Sr,

I used 150-grain Ballistic Tips on a couple pronghorns from the .300 WSM and both went on through, but ruined too much meat for me, even when shooting at 200+ yards. I switched to the 180 AccuBond which killed just as well but didn't shoot up as much meat.

A lot would depend on what ranges you're talking about. The .300 WSM really isn't a super-zapper type .300 magnum, but if your shots might be at closer ranges and you want to use 150's I'd go with one of the tougher bullets. With 180's or even 165's about any bullet will work well, including Hornady Interlocks, and the Nosler Ballistic Tips in those weights have heavy enough jackets for anything under 1000 pounds.

180 grains will keep the NBT/AB down around is optimum 3k launch velocity, providing good performance over a wide range of conditions.
I haven't shot any game with my WSM, but have killed dozens with the old Win. Mag.. Have killed many deer, some bear, and some elk with the 150 BTBT.. It does ruin some meat, but kills well on all game mentioned.. With elk, lung shots are what I used.. They were killed in very open country and selected shots could be taken.. In timber, I would use something else.
After coming back from the range, I might add, the 150 grain Accubond, has been a great bullet for me.. I have shot a couple nice mulies at several elk with it.. Performance has always been perfect.. How ever it has not exited on elk..
Originally Posted by Slim_Sr
Thanks guys,

Seems like no one uses a 150gr bullet....

Are they too light?

Buy a 308 Winchester....
Killed a pile of game from Africa, Arizona and Wyoming with my 300 wsm using the 168 TTSX launched by 70 grains of H4831sc at 3004 FPS.
Posted By: 79S Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/26/15
I have bud in AK that's all he uses 168gr ttsx in his 300 wsm...
Posted By: Slim_Sr Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Buy a 308 Winchester....

Yea I could buy a 308...

But since I already own a couple 7mm08's, 270's, and a 7 mag, I probably won't.

I brought the 300 wsm in hopes of hunting other places when I retire...
Until then I might as well use it some here in NC.
Posted By: roninflag Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/26/15
i use nickel plated brass and 168 ballistic silvertips they are pretty; deadly and they shoot .5" groups.
Posted By: noKnees Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/26/15
I run the 168TTSx over H4350. I also worked with a couple of 180's (accubonds, partitions, interlocks). I was thinking more of moose and elk for the 300wsm (and it has done two moose DRT, so no complaints).

While I am sure it would do fine for deer with the 168's I tend towards other rifles and smaller rounds for deer. If I were going load the for deer I would give a look to the 130 and 150 TTSX's as I don't think they will tear things up as as bad as some of the more lightly constructed lead bullets.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 300 WSM hunting bullet - 01/26/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I got a complete pass tru on a bull elk a couple months ago with the 180gr. Nosler partition.. Velocity was 2,950 fps..

Put me in this camp - cept my load is faster............. by a whopping 25 ft/sec.
© 24hourcampfire