Home
Posted By: mcsphog Deer Hunting Reload......... - 03/28/15
I have a Remington 7mm Mag and worked up a sweet load of 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter and 66.0 grains of IMR-4350 pushing just shy of 3,400 fps. It groups at .27" at 100 yards. I know it will be devastating on varmints, but what about California deer and wild pigs? I have read on the internet that a lot of people use that bullet on deer with great success and Sierra's tech says it should be good, but he sounded half and half and their site says it is for medium game also. Currently working on a 139 grain load, but if someone can tell me if they any experience with this bullet hunting. Oh, before someone brings it up, I live in and hunt in an area that does not have the stupid lead free law.
It'll kill the hell out of deer
I don't see how any deer could get away from that load.
Posted By: CBB15 Re: Deer Hunting Reload......... - 03/29/15
Expect bloodshot meat.
I was kind of trying to find out along the lines of will the bullet hold up or just blow apart and not penetrate? Anyone use this bullet hunting and shot a deer? I do not want to make the animal suffer needlessly.
I haven't tried the 120 Sierra. But from what I've seen with the 140 Sierras at 7mm Wby. speed, I'd be more comfortable with a 160.
Originally Posted by CBB15
Expect bloodshot meat.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by mcsphog
I have a Remington 7mm Mag and worked up a sweet load of 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter and 66.0 grains of IMR-4350 pushing just shy of 3,400 fps. It groups at .27" at 100 yards. I know it will be devastating on varmints, but what about California deer and wild pigs? I have read on the internet that a lot of people use that bullet on deer with great success and Sierra's tech says it should be good, but he sounded half and half and their site says it is for medium game also. Currently working on a 139 grain load, but if someone can tell me if they any experience with this bullet hunting. Oh, before someone brings it up, I live in and hunt in an area that does not have the stupid lead free law.

It's going to do some damage.. If you're getting close up, I would be shooting copper that light and fast. Cup and core, heavier and slower. If you want to goheavier, give the 150 BT a try. If your rig is solid, you'll get those shooting pretty easily, and they don't grenade.
We used to shoot them at woodchucks. The photos were not suitable for prime time consumption.

I'd leave them for the varmints and pick something stouter.
My wife tried the 120gr Pro Hunter a couple of years ago on antelope in her 7mm-08. She shot her buck three times in the heart/lung area at between 200 and 300 yards. You could cover the group with your hand.

Not one of the bullets penetrated the off side. The three shots combined to make one single entry wound looked like an exit wound. You could have poured the goo that remained of the heart and lungs out of the entry wound except for the fact that the ribs got in the way.

She switched to Nosler 120gr BT's for the following years hunt. Bang. Flop.

We relegated the Sierras to pre-season paper practice.

To answer your question, they do not penetrate. They blow up.
I'd step up to the 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips. That would eliminate all the worries you mentioned and you can just go kill stuff.
I ran swift Siroccos in an STW for a while...I like venison too much though.
I'd probably run a 154 round nose a bit slower and be satisfied.
Nosler's 7mm 120 ballistic tip is one of their toughest bullets.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Deer Hunting Reload......... - 03/30/15
130 grain hollow points in a 30-06 will kill deer too- that's not the point. A softball sized entrance hole and no exit isn't really considered a great choice
MY buddy guides for deer. he has a 7mmstw that has nearly 40 deer taken with it shooting the 120 sierra. excellent.
Posted By: Mssgn Re: Deer Hunting Reload......... - 03/30/15
I think the bullet would be fine if it were travelling a thousand fps slower. I've used 123 grain bullets in 7.62x39 at about 2100 fps and it kills white tails dead with clean one shot kills at +/- 100 yards.
California will be lead free for entire state in the near future. Might as well work up a load with a barnes etc now so you don't have to change later.
© 24hourcampfire