Home
Posted By: Dirtfarmer 22-250 fast twist load - 07/28/15
Am putting together an 8 twist .22-250. I would like load suggestions for 75 Amax/75 SSII.

This isn't a LR gun, just a packing hog and varmint gun. It's a Mohawk with a 22" Shilen CM #2.

DF
Posted By: GregW Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 07/28/15
Good luck with the S2....

Best for me was rl-19. RL-15 and -17 pressured out....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 07/28/15
What's the SSII story?

I have a lot of Amax's, just a few SSII's. Just want to see what they will do.

DF
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 07/29/15
TTT

DF
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/04/15
What twist would you think is minimum twist for 70-77 grain in a 22-250 to shoot accurately?
Posted By: Seafire Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/04/15
For match bullets, my Savage 223 with a one in 9 shoots 75, 77 and 80 grain Match bullets just fine...so I'd gather a 22.250 certainly would...

My fast twist 22.250 is on a Ruger Action, PAC NOR stainless barrel, with a one in 7 twist, so nothing has been an issue so far....
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/06/15
My new .22-250 CM Shilen is an 8 twist, actually closer to 8 1/4" from several measurements. I'm leaning towards 75 Amax, but have 80 Amax to try. I'm also checking out 75 VLD, 75 SSII and 62 TSX.

Hope to shoot Sat. AM. Will report.

DF
Posted By: deflave Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/06/15
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
What twist would you think is minimum twist for 70-77 grain in a 22-250 to shoot accurately?

Depends on what 70-77gr bullet you plan on shooting.

Travis
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Am putting together an 8 twist .22-250. I would like load suggestions for 75 Amax/75 SSII.

This isn't a LR gun, just a packing hog and varmint gun. It's a Mohawk with a 22" Shilen CM #2.

DF

I use 33gr's of RL 15 and the 75gr. Gay Max.

That's a warmish load in my gun. Close your eyes when you test it out.

Travis
Thanks,

BTW, what do your groups look like when you close your eyes...??

grin

DF

About like this:

(I was peeking)

[Linked Image]

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Depends on what 70-77gr bullet you plan on shooting.

Travis

See what I mean?

70gr on the left. 75gr on the right:

[Linked Image]
Yep, length is the twist determining variable.

DF
Posted By: Darkker Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/06/15
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Look up lengths on the left, then input your specifics
Posted By: deflave Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/07/15
8" will work with most any bullet worth buying.

Travis
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/07/15
Your R15 under a 75 grain Amax load may be a little warmish in some rifles, but oh does it shoot small groups out of my two 1-8 700's....
Posted By: deflave Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/07/15
It is quite UBER.

Travis
36.5 grains of H4350 gets me 3300+ in my 23" with 75 gr amax's
Posted By: mmgravy Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/08/15
Another darn good load.....
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/08/15
I personally would not consider anything from a 22 caliber a big game load. Not sayin you can't kill with it but I just don't like looking for game after I shoot it. I like the DRT shots from the big 7's and 30's. This post would fit better in the varmint rifle forum.
Posted By: Darkker Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/08/15
+1 to hammer
Posted By: Higginez Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/08/15
If big 7's and 30's are what you think it takes for a DRT on deer then you're too stupid to figure out that a 22-250 and 75 A max is a great deer load. And that's a fugging fact.
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
I personally would not consider anything from a 22 caliber a big game load. Not sayin you can't kill with it but I just don't like looking for game after I shoot it. I like the DRT shots from the big 7's and 30's. This post would fit better in the varmint rifle forum.

And yours would fit better on the campfire forum. How many times does this need to be hashed out on here? The OP didn't come on asking about viability of a certain cartridge/bullet combo. He asked for specific load data. The effectiveness of centerfire .224 rounds with the proper bullets and placement has been proven in word and picture literally hundreds of times on here. If you want to hunt deer with a 375 for that extra measure of "insurance" have at it, it's certainly your prerogative. But you don't need a .30 or 7mm to get a fast kill on phoucing deer.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/08/15
I find it amusing how kids kill WT's DRT with .223's, but adults need "real" BG rifles to kill a 120# WT doe.

BTW, just got back from an all morning range session. My 8 twist .22-250 Mohawk/Shilen shot 80 gr. Amax's into very small groups, even smaller than 75 gr. Amax's. It didn't do as well with TSX's.

At least I now have some direction regarding load development.

DF
Originally Posted by Higbean
If big 7's and 30's are what you think it takes for a DRT on deer then you're too stupid to figure out that a 22-250 and 75 A max is a great deer load. And that's a fugging fact.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAAHHAHAHAH, your such a comedian, I was just stating my opinion you dumbass farmer, just like the OP. Your too stupid to figure out that 22 calibers were developed for varmints, but try and make it a big game rifle, get you a damn man's rifle boy and grow up u puzze. Oh yea I almost forgot to GFY!!!
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

And yours would fit better on the campfire forum. How many times does this need to be hashed out on here? The OP didn't come on asking about viability of a certain cartridge/bullet combo. He asked for specific load data. The effectiveness of centerfire .224 rounds with the proper bullets and placement has been proven in word and picture literally hundreds of times on here. If you want to hunt deer with a 375 for that extra measure of "insurance" have at it, it's certainly your prerogative. But you don't need a .30 or 7mm to get a fast kill on phoucing deer.

Not going to waste my time on you.

Not going to waste my time on you.

You just did stud.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/08/15
Anyone saying a .224 bullet of good design at a decent velocity won't kill a WT or similar size critter just hasn't been there, done that. End of story.

Below are photos of the Mohawk with CM 22" #2 Shilen 8 twist .22-250 tube. I glassed and free floated it. I kept the same stock and plastic bottom "metal", replaced the factory trigger with a Timney. I Dyna Bore Coated the barrel, took it to the range and shot it. That's how I "break in" a new barrel. Back at the shop, there was some copper fouling that went away, Hawkeye clean, with 3 soaking applications of Patch Out.

Best load was 80 gr. Amax ahead of 34 gr. 760. I didn't set up the chrono, was just wanting to get an idea what would shoot. This combo shot three into .407". I know, three shots. But, I was just doing a survey, looking for direction on future load development. Best 75gr. Amax loads were 35 gr. Big Game (.625"), 38.1 gr. Superperformance (.576"), 33 gr. RL-15 (.657"). These are running around 3,200 fps, based on published data. Superperformance reportedly will crank a 75 gr. slug to 3,400 fps. I kept these loads at around 3.2K for comparison. The 80 gr. load is reportedly 3K fps.

This gun doesn't seem to like TSX's.

I mounted a VX-3 1.5-6x32 with CDS. These scopes don't come with CDS, I had sent it back. Cranked to the Fire magic 6X, it did very well at a hundred. At low power, it's a great offhand gun.

These groups were shot off the tailgait of a Z-71. No telling how good this gun would shoot off the aluminum tailgate of a new F-150... laugh

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: gunner500 Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15

DF

For a 'not' long range walking and shooting rifle I'd look to the 70 gr TSX and IMR 7828 ssc, "working up" to around 45 grs should give you an accurate 3550 fps.

Aught to be a descent little killing missile for deer and pigs too.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15
So far, it loves Amax, especially 80's. The Barnes I've tried (55 and 62 gr.) were a bust. I had some 70 TSX's, but sold them as I had no use for them at the time. Probably should have kept them.

Thanks, gunner.

DF
Posted By: GregW Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15
The 80 Berger is a real accurate bullet too DF. Killed quite a few things with it too.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15
smile
Posted By: deflave Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15
Gruff's fast twist 22-250 is a Mohawk as well. Good shooting rifle.

Travis

Just another city bitch.

Travis
Originally Posted by GregW
The 80 Berger is a real accurate bullet too DF. Killed quite a few things with it too.

It shot 75 VLD Hunting very well, haven't tried 80 VLD's. The 75 VLD's just didn't keep up with 80 and 75 Amax's, and in that order.

DF
Although not set up per se as a LR rifle, a .22-250 shooting 80 Amax's, half MOA, may benefit from the CDS for that occasional shot at 400 yds+. You never know; it's nice to be prepared.

Where I hunt, sometimes a porcine target of opportunity presents at a distance. Driving to the camp requires several miles on a levee road with borrow pits on the river side and large fields on the protected side. A truck gun that can be cranked to long yardage may make life tedious for such an interloper... shocked

All the landowners along the way are more than happy to have that service performed.

This is a walking around, light rifle that can be pressed into LR service at a moments notice. That's my current thinking on this subject. I say "current thinking" because that's the Loony position on most any firearm project... whistle

DF
DF, I set mine up originally in 22-250ai with a 1-8 as an experiment to see if the fast twist .22s were all they were cracked up to be. It proved to be that they are, and more. With that ai barrel I had on it I had more than one first round prairie dog hit at 600, and plenty of pdogs past that, and lots of gophers and such in between. This with a #3 Douglas. I got tired of the ai brass getting stuck in the bolt raceway and so when accuracy started tapering off I rebarreled to vanilla 22-250 same twist and I'm getting the same speeds. I honestly did not expect that level of accuracy from a this rifle when I put it together, but I damn sure didn't mind it. I'd never shot any kind of LR before, and the $200 Burris i had on there left me nothing to complain about. Wish I'd have bought a couple more of them when they went on sale.

Clarke's shoots pretty damn good too, but it's not cool enough to have a dog leg bolt handle.

Clarke's shoots pretty damn good too, but it's not cool enough to have a dog leg bolt handle.

Yep.

Takes a real man to be seen with a bolt handle like that... cool

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15

Sweet. Another Ex-spurt.....made all the better, and more difficult by never having shot big game with a centerfire .22

Amazing!
Yep, DRT reportedly requires a big 7 or 30... shocked

What about DRT's with a small 7 or 30?

What about DRT's with a .243 or a .257R?

Guess I gotta unload the newly finished Roberts and this .22-250.

Wish I'd have known that before going to all the trouble, putting these two guns together... cry

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15
Don't be so hasty...some of these people could be wrong...

I hunted a ranch in Texas this year that wouldn't let me use my .223AI...Im OK with whatever the rules are so I told the ranch Manager I'll just use my big gun....

" What caliber is that?" he asked....

.243 grin

He got a kick out of that wink
Posted By: Seafire Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15
So far, it loves Amax, especially 80's. The Barnes I've tried (55 and 62 gr.) were a bust. I had some 70 TSX's, but sold them as I had no use for them at the time. Probably should have kept them.

Thanks, gunner.

DF

My Ruger with the 24 inch, One on 7 Twist, shoots the 80 grain A Maxes better than the 75s also...originally a 243 based action, the longer length allows for seating that bullet out there...

plus they look cool....

[Linked Image]

and believe me, placed in the right spot, the bullet will start making things stop functioning real quick...

The rifle... PacNor barrel, Ruger 77 Mk 2 action...Boyd's Grey Laminate stock...

[Linked Image]

Yep.

Takes a real man to be seen with a bolt handle like that... cool

DF

Iff'in I had Gruff's money, I'd try a Mohawk as well.

Travis
I'm not taking the bait you fast talking booty popping no stick driving CB
Originally Posted by Seafire

Thanks, gunner.

DF

My Ruger with the 24 inch, One on 7 Twist, shoots the 80 grain A Maxes better than the 75s also...originally a 243 based action, the longer length allows for seating that bullet out there...

plus they look cool....

[Linked Image]

and believe me, placed in the right spot, the bullet will start making things stop functioning real quick...

They do look nice.

My Mohawk was a 6mm Rem, so same deal. Plenty of box mag room.

80's at 3K, vs. 75's at 3,2K, maybe 3,4K with some powders. Long range it's probably close to a wash, maybe the edge going to the faster 75's. Not a great difference in B.C.'s, .435 vs. .473.

Have you looked at trajectory/K.E. tables comparing those two?

DF
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/09/15

Just another city bitch.

Takes on to know one.

Travis
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/10/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Don't be so hasty...some of these people could be wrong...

You reckon... shocked

DF
Posted By: deflave Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/11/15

Just another city bitch.

Takes on to know one.

Travis

Fail.

Dave
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/11/15
I'm through wasting my time on this one, better things to do than argue over a bullet, and some of the computer wizard hunters on here. I'm not here for this uselessness.

Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/11/15

You would fit better in the optics forum.....
Posted By: Kaleb Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/11/15
Read the rest what a troll and or idiot. Boy I feel better lol

I'm through wasting my time on this one, better things to do than argue over a bullet, and some of the computer wizard hunters on here. I'm not here for this uselessness.

Yet you keep coming back to post. hmmm

These "computer wizard hunters" have killed a fair number of animals to back their positions.

Exactly what uselessness are you here for? You opened and posted several times now on a thread that made it clear from it's title what it was about. Yet you posted contrariness of the sake of it. Then your vagina gets itchy and you don't have time for it.

Then you come back again.
Posted By: wageslave Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/11/15

+1

Serfs are always fishin'.
Originally Posted by wageslave

+1

Serfs are always fishin'.

Cheaper than beef I'm told.
Posted By: SLM Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/11/15
Bunch of stunt shooters.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/16/15
I'd had a couple of range sessions with the Mohawk 8 twist 22-250. It really likes the 80 Amax. 34 gr. 760 shot three into .407", 35 gr. H-4350, three at .430" with .02" jump and reportedly at around 3K fps. I haven't clocked them yet.

I was surprised by the 80 Amax performance as this Shilen tube actually measures 8 1/4" twist, not a true 8 twist. Yes, I measured it a number of times to confirm. I had read that one may need a 7 twist for the long, sleek 80 Amax.

The gun did pretty well with the 75 Amax, several loads into .6" or so. I tried Superperformance and as the loads got hotter, the groups shrank, best around .57". Haven't clocked them yet, but Hodgdon data shows a max of 3,400 fps with SPF, around 200 fps ahead of most other loads. And there didn't seem to be any signs of excessive pressure, bolt opened easily, cases popped out, primers looked OK.

If I can push the 75 Amax at 3,300+ compared to 3K with the 80 Amax, the 75 should be the distance winner, as the B.C. between these two isn't that different. Or said another way, the velocity difference is subtantially greater than the B.C. difference.

100/115 NPT shot inch and a half or so, 115 VLD's inch or better, 117 SST's slightly under an inch. Amax, undisputed top dog.

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: 22-250 fast twist load - 08/16/15
Originally Posted by SLM
Bunch of stunt shooters.

You aint seen nothin' yet...wait till I get the new Single Shot Deuce tuned up! grin
© 24hourcampfire