Home
Posted By: claybreaker stainless in a tub - 08/29/15
Curious and wondering if anyone has tried wet or dry stainless media in a tub style tumbler?

Too wet?
too heavy?

anybody try it?
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: stainless in a tub - 08/29/15
What do you mean by a "tub style" tumbler?
Posted By: claybreaker Re: stainless in a tub - 08/29/15
By tub style I'm thinking one like this.
[Linked Image]
Traditionally these typically run "dry" media like corncob or walnut. Wondering if anybody has tried stainless pins either dry or wet.

My perception is that stainless pins are typically run wet in a rotary style thumbler.

tks,

Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: stainless in a tub - 08/29/15
Those do not have a vigorous enough action.
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: stainless in a tub - 08/29/15
Haven't tried it, but I would think the weight of the pins would make that tumbler shake the base, rather than the load.
Posted By: bigedp51 Re: stainless in a tub - 08/30/15
Lets think about this, you have a plastic tub that isn't sealed or waterproof sitting directly on top of a electric motor.

Reminds me of those Bronson "Death Wish" movies.

There are vibratory units with a "special" smooth and rounded stainless media and are used for polishing jewelry. But its done "dry" and you don't get electrocuted doing it.

I'm a retired electrician, it won't work dry and don't even think about adding water.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: stainless in a tub - 08/30/15
They are perfectly suitable for wet media without leaking however, I just bought a bag of stainless steel media from the guys in Orem Utah while on vacation. They specifically told me that it won't work in a vibratory tumbler. Has to actually tumble!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: stainless in a tub - 08/30/15
thumblers tumbler is a great tumbler and is one that i use.
Posted By: bigedp51 Re: stainless in a tub - 08/30/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
They are perfectly suitable for wet media without leaking however, I just bought a bag of stainless steel media from the guys in Orem Utah while on vacation. They specifically told me that it won't work in a vibratory tumbler. Has to actually tumble!

Both of my vibratory tumblers have a hole in the tub that the shaft comes up through to fasten on the lid. And twice when cleaning cases the tub vibrated loose and you say its safe.

And you want people to take your word and put water in a tumbler made in China. Don't get me wrong "MAYBE" there are vibratory tumblers that can be run wet. "BUT" if I did it with my tumblers, it would be "Death Wish 6" staring the dead guy.

And the instruction "WARNINGS" with my tumbler states "Do not use wet with ceramic, or water base media."

Signed the "alive" retired Electrician

Posted By: claybreaker Re: stainless in a tub - 08/30/15
Great points related to weight of the pins verses the weight of the unit.

"..do not have a vigorous enough action."
Probably so.

"They are perfectly suitable for wet media without leaking however, I just bought a bag of stainless steel media from the guys in Orem Utah while on vacation. They specifically told me that it won't work in a vibratory tumbler. Has to actually tumble!"
Great feedback thanks.

"thumblers tumbler is a great tumbler and is one that i use."
I'll take a look at that, thanks.

Be Safe,

Posted By: molly Re: stainless in a tub - 08/31/15
The Stainless media will vibrate to the bottom of the tub with the brass staying on top of the media.

I tried it.....
Posted By: claybreaker Re: stainless in a tub - 08/31/15
Originally Posted by molly
The Stainless media will vibrate to the bottom of the tub with the brass staying on top of the media.

I tried it.....

Thank you very much, this was my primary question. Sometimes you(me) just wonder.

Be Safe,
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: stainless in a tub - 08/31/15
But I bet the bottom of the tub was clean as a whistle... wink
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: stainless in a tub - 08/31/15
He could turn the bowl upside down... grin
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: stainless in a tub - 08/31/15
My Thumbler has a cone in the middle that comes all the way up to the top. It is completely water tight with no seams to leak. I did notice that is made the rod through the middle a little rusty.

Again, the manufacturer told me that the vibrating tumblers will not get your brass nearly as clean as the tumbling ones.
© 24hourcampfire