Home
It's a little skinnier than the 7mm 139 BTSP. Same same?
Can't figure there would be much if any difference. Don't know why more 270 shooters don't load a 140gr instead of a 130gr?
It's my favorite "cheap" bullet. It shoots great and kills smaller stuff well, but I wouldn't use it on elk. I had a core separate on an antelope at 360yds. Impact, probably just under 2k fps. Great shooting bullet, but I use Partitions for elk.
.07" diameter isn't going to make any difference in the real world.

+1 on Partitions for elk in the .270.
That was the only bullet I hunted with for a few years. I found a few in elk.

Usually against the off side hide.

YMMV.
Came across some older threads praising them (.277 140 BTSP) right along with the rest of the Interlocks. Regarding elk, the deadest I've seen got that way from a 140 Ballistic Tip from a light-loaded 7-08, bang-flop. Nonetheless can't argue the high praise for the 270W with 150 Partitions for elk. Will have to try them.

As ever, appreciate the input.
Haven't used them on game but I have had at least two 270s that did not shoot them very well, at least nowhere near as good as 130 or 150 flat base bullets
My brother did not like the expansion he was getting with 130s. They were tearing up a lot of meat. He went with the Hornady 140s and got great performance without a lot of meat damage.
If you're gonna shoot 140's, you might as well use a 280! grin
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Came across some older threads praising them (.277 140 BTSP) right along with the rest of the Interlocks. Regarding elk, the deadest I've seen got that way from a 140 Ballistic Tip from a light-loaded 7-08, bang-flop. Nonetheless can't argue the high praise for the 270W with 150 Partitions for elk. Will have to try them.

You may want to talk to 79s here after his daughter plows a moose with her 270 loaded with that bullet. I've always really liked the interlocks and have found they work great on deer and elk in the larger calibers. Sorry, no feedback about the 270 and 140 however. I loaded some 150gr. partitions for this years elk hunt, since there's no guessing with that one wink ... Good luck with your hunts..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

You may want to talk to 79s here after his daughter plows a moose with her 270 loaded with that bullet. I've always really liked the interlocks and have found they work great on deer and elk in the larger calibers. Sorry, no feedback about the 270 and 140 however. I loaded some 150gr. partitions for this years elk hunt, since there's no guessing with that one wink ... Good luck with your hunts..

They are headed out today to try to find Bullwinkle I'm hoping I can report back with good news tonight or tomorrow smile
That would be cool!!!!!
We have used the hornaday 140 tbsp plain bullet no interlock in about 7 270's and a couple wsm's. This bullet shoots when nothing else will . We have killed several elk and it holds together very well. Found most of them in the offside hide. Most accurate bullet in most rifles we have tested.

Fred
Originally Posted by azrancher
We have used the hornaday 140 tbsp plain bullet no interlock in about 7 270's and a couple wsm's. This bullet shoots when nothing else will . We have killed several elk and it holds together very well. Found most of them in the offside hide. Most accurate bullet in most rifles we have tested.

Fred

Never heard of a tbsp. (tablespoon??) bullet that isn't an interlock. Is that an old design??
Originally Posted by southtexas
If you're gonna shoot 140's, you might as well use a 280! grin

I am inclined to agree grin

I have buddies that shoot 270's and one like me that shoots a .280. If there is any difference other than shear opinions on bullet weights, designs and performance between the two calibers up to 160 grain bullets, we would still argue it over .... its part of the fun. Even when mentioned of the 162 grain and up options for the 280 whistle

There is always something wink
140gr hornady out of a 270 Winchester one dead moose, double lung

[Linked Image]
Hey - look at that! Great news!
it was a 80yd shot and complete pass thru my buddy said the moose dropped in its track.
Here is the 270 WIN load I've been using in an old Ruger M77 for the last decade; Hornady 140 BTSP, 57.0 H4831sc, WLR, W-W brass, round at 3.230" COL. Velocity is 2810 AVG FPS at 75° (BETA Chrony 10 ft. from muzzle), groups 5/8" to 7/8" at 100 yards (from a bag). Been a consistent deer killer up to this point - I have not recovered a bullet.
Used the SST on one elk.. Lung shot at about 250 yards. Pass though, and she ran maybe 200 yards across the prairie.. Haven't tried the inter lock, but have been shooting 140 Sierra HPBT"S.. I like it very much, but it is not my elk rifle.. I would guess the interloke's would work fine on most game..
BSA, I believe azrancher merely transposed his letters - Hornady's boat-tail bullets were referred to as BTSP (for a Boat Tail Spire Point) for many years. I see the first reference to the now famous Interlock feature in the Hornady 3rd Edition manual (copyright in 1980); in that manual it is referred to as our "new" Interlock belt. I have plenty of old boxes of Hornady bullets that are simply marked Spire Point. Odessa
My load is 58.5gr H4831sc, CCI200, R-P cases, 140gr hornady btsp, I chrono these couple yrs back and I was getting 2930 fps if I remember correctly.
Great bullet for all-around use. Though these days with SPS seconds, there's not much sense to not use Partitions on everything.
Originally Posted by Odessa
BSA, I believe azrancher merely transposed his letters - Hornady's boat-tail bullets were referred to as BTSP (for a Boat Tail Spire Point) for many years. I see the first reference to the now famous Interlock feature in the Hornady 3rd Edition manual (copyright in 1980); in that manual it is referred to as our "new" Interlock belt. I have plenty of old boxes of Hornady bullets that are simply marked Spire Point. Odessa

Thanks Odessa.... I'm sorry, in 1980, I was focused on finger painting and eating paste glue... Kindergarten..... laugh . Your old boxes of Hornady bullets may be as old as me.. laugh
I'm with powdr on this one. I've used the 140 BTSP for years in my 270 with great success. Shoots incredibly accurate and that bullet weight carries more energy in the 300-500 yd range than any other bullet weight for the 270. Less drop too. What's not to like?
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Odessa

Thanks Odessa.... I'm sorry, in 1980, I was focused on finger painting and eating paste glue... Kindergarten..... laugh . Your old boxes of Hornady bullets may be as old as me.. laugh

damn you are old!
Now that is something I can relate to!
laugh
TTT Blast from the past.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...88969/all/270_winchester_and_the_140_bts
Originally Posted by JeffP40
It's my favorite "cheap" bullet. It shoots great and kills smaller stuff well, but I wouldn't use it on elk. I had a core separate on an antelope at 360yds. Impact, probably just under 2k fps. Great shooting bullet, but I use Partitions for elk.

Core and jacket seperation can be a problem with the 140gn Hornady Interlock. I have first hand experience with that. These days I prefer the 140gn Accubond.

[Linked Image]
Cool. Previously you said, "Despite its appearance it performed well on a big crusty hog." care to provide more details, what range was that crusty bastid? This 6.5 140 Amax recovered from an antelope, 350 or maybe this was the 400 yard one confused started at about 2700fps, seems pure definition of jacket separation. Either way, I think we both got our 27 cents worth of performance, however, your picture to me, doesn't look too bad if it worked...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dingo
Originally Posted by keith
the 140g Hornady is NOT a fragile bullet, don't be afraid to stomp on the gas.

I suppose it depends on how you define fragile. Here is a pic of a recovered 140gn Hornady Interlock shot from a 270WSM at a muzzle velocity of 3000fps (69gn of H1000) Despite its appearance it performed well on a big crusty hog.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire