Home
I grabbed some 64gr Winchester Power Point bullets the other day after reading that they make a great deer bullet and "usually" stabilize in 1:14 twist barrels. Well, they don't in my .22-250 LVSF. Had two loads to test today and I couldn't keep them on paper. The first clue should have been when although my scope was zeroed with some 50gr Vmax, the 64gr PP weren't on paper. I thought at first that they just had a very different point of impact and was finally able to get the first one on paper after making over 12" of adjustment on the scope. The following shots were still off paper!?!? At the next ceasefire I was able to examine my target, that only bullet that actually hit the paper went through sideways. Guess I'll have to find another deer capable bullet for my .22-250.
Try the 60 gr Partition.

DF
They stabilize in all of my 1-14's even the .222 and .223..
I have used the 63 gr. Sierra and 55 gr. Horn. on quite a bit of big game.. I think the 64 is tougher than the 63.. Good luck..
My Ruger #1 in 22/250 with the 1/14 twist shot the 53 gr Barnes TSX under an inch with Varget...who knew!

Doc
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Try the 60 gr Partition.

DF

Ummmmm.....I think I saw some of those on the shelf at the LGS the other day.
My 1-14" .22-250 700 stabilized the 64 PP fine, but not the 60 Partition. I'd be looking at the 50 or 53 tsx.
Looks like its the luck of the draw. I had a 1 in 14 that wouldn't stabilize the 64 grainer, another that would, and a 1 in 12 that would....

Lots of other good premium bullets out there.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Looks like its the luck of the draw. I had a 1 in 14 that wouldn't stabilize the 64 grainer, another that would, and a 1 in 12 that would....

Rumor has it you like the 53 gr. TTSX.

If more than just a rumor, please expand on that thought.

DF
Ya mean your target looked like this?
[Linked Image]
A 1 in 14 is iffy with longer bullets. I replaced mine on a M700 with a Douglas 1 in 9.
My .22-250 wears an 8 twist CM Shilen; it was a 6mm Mohawk.

My .22-250 M-700 is now a 6.5 Creedmoor, 8 twist 24" Shilen Match.

I don't have 12 or 14 twist .22-250's.

DF

DF

That rumor is not true. They don't make a 53 gr TTSX.... grin

I killed a literal ton of game with the 53 grain TSX, but have switched to the 55 gr. TTSX the last few years, and seem to be stuck on it...

Killed another ton with the 50 gr. TTSX and continue to use it in the little deuce...

Im a big fan of the Barnes, pretty much take your pick, but you don't need one as heavy as you think you need. grin

DF

I killed a literal ton of game with the 53 grain TSX, but have switched to the 55 gr. TTSX the last few years, and seem to be stuck on it...

Killed another ton with the 50 gr. TTSX and continue to use it in the little deuce...

Im a big fan of the Barnes, pretty much take your pick, but you don't need one as heavy as you think you need. grin

Which ones "usually" stabilize in 1:14 barrels?
I had no trouble stabilizing the 53 gr. TSX and the 50 gr. TTSX

The 55 grainers were hit or miss, so to speak. grin
Originally Posted by BCSteve
Try the 60 gr Partition.

DF

Ummmmm.....I think I saw some of those on the shelf at the LGS the other day.

I think I'd try a couple other powders first. I've never had luck with the Hornady 60 SP in rifles that don't like the 64 PP, and some that have liked the 64 haven't liked the 60 SP. I realize the Partition is another bullet all together, but, when they get longer, the rifle - which might not be very fussy about powers with shorter bullets- can get pretty finicky sometimes.
I tried the 53tsx in my R#3, 223. They would not get better than 2" groups
--so I have one unopened box of 50 to get rid of.
Same results with 60NPs and 64PPs.

The gun does shoot 40BTs and 45TSXs well though.
Tim

DF

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to remember your preferences off the top of my head.

Yep, with Barnes, go light and run'em fast... wink

DF
Blacktailer, et. al.

I have a target that looks like that from SS109 at 25 yards, and original AR Barrel.

It will stabilize the 60 gain NPTs. My next test is the 64 grain Nosler game bullets and see if it will stabilize them.
Yeah I had to get that close also to get anything on paper.
Well, I picked up a box of 50gr TSX today. There was some 53gr TSX as well but the sticker recommended a 1:12 twist so I didn't take any chances.
My 1-14 Rem 22-250 wont shoot the 60 gr NP cant hit a 2 ft target farther than 20 yards! Its my short range gun!
Lots and lots of deer get processed after being shot with the common 55 grain soft point factory ammo from Fed/PP/Rem/S&B/Win.
© 24hourcampfire