Home
Now that Hornady has said the 100 Interlock will be discontinued, what are the fans of this bullet planning as it's replacement? This has been my favorite bullet in a Ruger M77 250 Savage, and a MKII 257 Roberts for deer sized game.
In very limited trials neither liked the 100 Ballistic Tip much though it would be my preference as a replacement. The Hornady SST has been too soft for my tastes. Don't need the Barnes penetration capabilities for whitetails and antelope, and in the case of the little 250 Savage, velocity might not hold up enough beyond a short range proposition. In extensive trials I've never got the Roberts to shoot the 110 Accubond with the accuracy of 100 Hornady.
I've got 3 boxes of the Interlocks left but I guess it's time to start looking for something else.
100gn Barnes TTSX.
Shoots very well in my .25/06 plus the SPS Partition in either 100gn or 120gn which also shoot very well.
John
80gr Barnes TTSX, you want speed in those slow ass cartridges.
I like Hornady so back when the ILs dried up I had great experiences w/ the 90 gr GMX, RS-Hunter, WLRMs, & RP cases.

Originally Posted by southtexas

stock up while you still can?

+ I did this ^
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Now that Hornady has said the 100 Interlock will be discontinued, what are the fans of this bullet planning as it's replacement? This has been my favorite bullet in a Ruger M77 250 Savage, and a MKII 257 Roberts for deer sized game.
In very limited trials neither liked the 100 Ballistic Tip much though it would be my preference as a replacement. The Hornady SST has been too soft for my tastes. Don't need the Barnes penetration capabilities for whitetails and antelope, and in the case of the little 250 Savage, velocity might not hold up enough beyond a short range proposition. In extensive trials I've never got the Roberts to shoot the 110 Accubond with the accuracy of 100 Hornady.
I've got 3 boxes of the Interlocks left but I guess it's time to start looking for something else.

stock up while you still can?
115 Berger hunting bullet seems to kill everything I ever shot with it.
Southtexas has it right. Figure out how many you will need for a lifetime supply and buy twice as many! There are retailers that still carry them.

Elk Country
I have enough Hornady 100 gr interlocks but did buy the also discontinued Hornady .25 120 gr HP. Mid South shooters Supply has both bullets in stock. These are the last shipments on both bullets from Hornady to the market place.

It seems the demand of 25 cal bullets is fading for Hornady to discontinue the .25 100 gr interlock.

Doc
100gr partitions have worked well, I load them for a buddy who just got his Eastern Plains buck today.
Otherwise I like the 90gr GMX.
Ole 270,

You don't specify what your problem is with the 100 Ballistic Tip, but I've found it to work very similarly to the 100 Interlock when it hits game, penetrating about as much on similar shots, and retaining just about as much weight (50% or so, give or take 10%) when bullets are recovered.

Have also had excellent results from the 115 Berger Hunting VLD, like rickmenefee, and also the 100-grain Nosler Partition.
Problem so far hasn't been on game performance, I have yet to blood them since I've still got 3 boxes of the Interlocks. Like I said, with very limited testing neither gun shot them as well as the Interlock. Minute of deer for sure, but then a Looney is always looking for more.
The Roberts rifle has not grouped as well with the 100 BT, or the 115 Partition so I'm wondering a bit if it's on the ragged edge of twist rate for these longer bullets. It does great with every one of the shorter bullets I've tried.
I have no doubts about on game performance of BTs, TTSX, or Partitions. Just would like the accuracy, performance and relatively cheap cost of the Interlock. Maybe here in a couple three weeks Santa will deliver.
Apparently everybody's got twist-rate on the brain these days. The standard 1-10 twist for the .257 is plenty for any standard bullet, including the 100 BT and 115 Partition.

But some rifles don't like boattails. I've gotten very good accuracy with 100 BT's in most rifles, but not all. In my present two .257's, both with 1-10 twists, they shoot well under an inch with 46.0 grains of either IMR or H4350.

115 Partitions usually shoot best with more powder than most manuals suggest. This is because even +P data is lower in pressure than standard .30-06 data, which is 60,000 PSI, 4000-5000 PSI lower than most other modern rounds. Add another grain or two above +P data and 115 Partitions normally shoot under an inch, often well under.

100 gr Partition. Btw the bt has worked great for me out here and many others
If you were satisfied with Hornadys Interlock,I think you would like Speer Hot-Cors..I think they will be available as long as people still shoot 99s..They are a favorite among the Savage boys,including me.
117 Hornady SP, Nosler 100 or 115 BT or Partition, 100 or 120 Speer, 117 Sierra, 100 Barnes TTSX. My personal choice has been the Hornady 117 SP.
If you like the 100IL, you'll probably like the 100 grain Speer flat base pill. The 100g NPT is never a bad idea.
Glad I read this, I just rounded up 7 more boxes for my .257 Rob. Kimber.
Where is it written that these bullets will be "discontinued"? Hornady's website does not even refer to them as "temporarily suspended".

100grn Sierra sp for plinking and keep your Hornady's for hunting.
I have been using the Nosler Partition 100gr in a Pre64 M70 250 Savage and that along with some older 120gr Partitions in another pre64 257 Roberts. Another Roberts likes the 110gr Accubond and the 115gr NBT works well in both Roberts and the 100gr NBT in the 250 Savage.
I have 4 100 grain .257 cal IL bullets left... They have been work horses. Sad to see them go, I for one have a heck of a time thinking demand for these is that low confused My own opinion is they are just making room for there new no-melt plastic tip bullets. Yeppy, good for them. Forget the products that made them great they have...

I found both nosler's b-tip and partition very good, death comes quick, accurate loads easy and bullets very available. Nosler is in it for the long haul, so is there bullets.

Speer 100 gr. flat base has served me well in my 257 Bob and made itty bitty groups from my 25-06 also... I expect speer to pull same crap like Hornady, but with no fancy fangled new replacement bullet. There companies efforts seem not in bullets anymore, Again my opinion.

Sierra's 25 cal 100 gr. flat base shot very small groups and are readily available. Killed paper and assorted vermin with them, but no 'big' game. Have heard for years these are a little soft for big game with cartridges capable of 3000+ fps.

Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
Where is it written that these bullets will be "discontinued"? Hornady's website does not even refer to them as "temporarily suspended".

In an email I sent to them asking about it.

Send one for yourself expressing amazement at the move. Maybe the more who do so will get them continued?
Originally Posted by boomwack
I have 4 100 grain .257 cal IL bullets left... They have been work horses. Sad to see them go, I for one have a heck of a time thinking demand for these is that low confused My own opinion is they are just making room for there new no-melt plastic tip bullets. Yeppy, good for them. Forget the products that made them great they have...

I found both nosler's b-tip and partition very good, death comes quick, accurate loads easy and bullets very available. Nosler is in it for the long haul, so is there bullets.

Speer 100 gr. flat base has served me well in my 257 Bob and made itty bitty groups from my 25-06 also... I expect speer to pull same crap like Hornady, but with no fancy fangled new replacement bullet. There companies efforts seem not in bullets anymore, Again my opinion.

Sierra's 25 cal 100 gr. flat base shot very small groups and are readily available. Killed paper and assorted vermin with them, but no 'big' game. Have heard for years these are a little soft for big game with cartridges capable of 3000+ fps.

Broomstick,

Hornady discontinued the .25 100 gr interlock along with the .25 cal
120 gr HP was based solely due to lack of demand versus demand for other products requiring much needed additional production time like the 6.5 Creed bullets. I ordered a lifetime supply of both bullets which I use in the 250 savage and 25-06. Hornady shipped the last production run of the .25 100 gr interlock 2 weeks ago...go buy some.

Doc
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by boomwack

Broomstick,

Hornady discontinued the .25 100 gr interlock along with the .25 cal
120 gr HP was based solely due to lack of demand versus demand for other products requiring much needed additional production time like the 6.5 Creed bullets. I ordered a lifetime supply of both bullets which I use in the 250 savage and 25-06. Hornady shipped the last production run of the .25 100 gr interlock 2 weeks ago...go buy some.

Doc

Na... I'll pass encore_Doctor, leaves more for you. wink I do have a lifetime supply of the 120 hp's for as often I shoot them.... In manufacturing one has to provide what is selling, I understand. It's just a little frustrating when a product gets dropped, to help production of a different product that is selling/moving more... Especially a dropped product that one has had good results with.

Far as the 25 cal 100 grainers go, I have found that other bullet companies make equivalent or better bullets. The hornady 100 IL bullets are good bullets, to bad there is not enough interest/demand for them. This is the golden age of bullets, many good ones to choose from.... Went threw this when speer saw fit to no longer offer there fine 7mm 160 gr. spitzer bullet a while back, they did bring it back but I found replacement bullets, Now I no longer use that speer bullet anymore after years of firing them.
Boomwack, The 7mm 160 gr Speer looks to be available still, where did you hear that it wasn't? Was one I was thinking of trying.....
They are available now, again.

Speer had a spell were they dropped the 7mm 160 spitzer and a few other bread and butter bullets for what ever reason, but they got'em now, er I mean again...

They work like gang busters in the .280 rem wink

Back to the Hornady 100 grain IL replacement....
© 24hourcampfire