Home
Posted By: N2TRKYS Factory powder question - 01/25/16
I'm getting 2900+ from factory Remington Premier ammo with 160 grain Partitions in 7 SAUM. I disassembled one of the loads and it looked like a ball powder instead of stick. It also higher than the max listed on the Nosler's website.

Ok, now my question. Anybody have any idea what powder Remington could've used in their loads? I know it's a long shot question, but thanks for any info.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Factory powder question - 01/25/16
Two comments:

A lot of factory loads don't use a powder handloaders can buy.

Nosler's data for the 7mm SAUM is very limited.

Question: Did you weigh the powder charge?
Posted By: N2TRKYS Re: Factory powder question - 01/25/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Two comments:

A lot of factory loads don't use a powder handloaders can buy.

Nosler's data for the 7mm SAUM is very limited.

Question: Did you weigh the powder charge?

60.4 grains
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Factory powder question - 01/25/16
And the next box of factory ammunition might have an entirely different powder, if I understand correctly.
Posted By: 2ndtimer Re: Factory powder question - 02/07/16
Western powder shows a starting load of 60.0 gr of Accurate MagPro powder with the 160 gr Sierra gameking, with a max of 66.0 gr for just over 3000 fps. Might be a place to start.
Posted By: Darkker Re: Factory powder question - 02/09/16
Except Nosler, no major factory uses canister grade powder. None of them load by weight, they load by volume based upon burning rate. So attempting to match a weight won't do you any good.
Originally Posted by Darkker
Except Nosler, no major factory uses canister grade powder. None of them load by weight, they load by volume based upon burning rate. So attempting to match a weight won't do you any good.

So my powder measure, which throws by volume cannot throw charges of a consistent weight?
Posted By: Darkker Re: Factory powder question - 02/11/16
That wasn't my point. They don't load trying to hit a weight, they load trying for a volume based upon lot tested burning rates.

With ball powder, I'm sure you may be able to hit a pretty tight weight. Since coatings control it's burning rate, volume can get you into Pressure issues with ball powder if you have a variable VMD.
With extruded powder, the weight will always vary in a larger fashion. Since geometry is what controls it's burning rate, it's all good that there may be a difference.
© 24hourcampfire