Home
I have heard they come apart and I have seen pictures that they did not expand at all.

Anyway thinking of using them in my 340 Bee
What say you?
I say pass. I've heard the same things. I could't get them to expand at muzzle speed from a 338 Federal when I tested them and I've heard others that drive them fast say the come apart.

I'd go Partition, Accubond or Ballistic Silvertip.

you want an effective plain old Cup and Core bullet, don't overlook the Hornady 200, 225 and 250 grain SPs...

Sierra also makes a 225 grain SP, for someone else that they sell the overruns...that is a better choice over the 215s...

the 215s were supposed to be strictly for deer, is what one of Sierra's techs told me many moons ago...

I used one box of them, and never bought a second...
I emailed Sierra about the years ago when loading for a 338-06 & they said it's designed for the big mags with the same jacket as the 250 just trimmed back.

When I get a 340 Weatherby up & running I'll try it through water jugs to see.

I've heard great things about the Sierra 250 GK in 338 WM & 338 RUM so I gotta believe it'd be good for the Weatherby too...
I used it on one elk. Did the job but came apart. Don't recall the range but likely about 300 yards.

The accuracy was outstanding and far better than the rest I tried.
i switched to ttsx in my 338-06 this year due to bullet availability from nosler, only shot a coyote so no way to tell expansion, but accuracy is excellent
Watched my elk hunting partner drop 7 of those into a 6x6 bull at approximately 300 yards. I had been pestering him to switch to a partition for years after similar results in hunts past with that bullet. That instance finally cured him and from then on out he's had nothing but bang flops since.

To hell with that slug Fotis, 300 gr Accubonds at 2750+ fps will let that 340 Bee punch hard enough for ALL game at I bet, any conceivable angle, trajectories are a solid given, that big Accubond will buck the wind with the best of 'em.

I rum em to 3K in my big 33, it's a very impressive bullet.
I sectioned one of the 215 years ago when people were talking about the thick jackets. And what I found was it was really really thick.
Originally Posted by Fotis
I have heard they come apart and I have seen pictures that they did not expand at all.

Anyway thinking of using them in my 340 Bee
What say you?

They are a very hard bullet. I was surprised to see you chose that over the 250gr. sierra GK. The 250gr. is the one I go to and have used it for years..
They didn't open when hitting dry magazines at muzzle velocity from a 338-06. .338 hole through 18-24" of dry magazines and they kept on going. Zero chance I'd hunt with that bullet. It's the one bullet I think they actually screwed up the design. While some are tough, others are soft, this one is just not right. Unless you want a solid?! I was told it starts as a 250 GK and they trim the tip (the thinner jacket) back to shorten it and make 215gn.
I have had excellent results with the ordinary 250 Hornady SP.
Originally Posted by prm
They didn't open when hitting dry magazines at muzzle velocity from a 338-06. .338 hole through 18-24" of dry magazines and they kept on going. Zero chance I'd hunt with that bullet. It's the one bullet I think they actually screwed up the design. While some are tough, others are soft, this one is just not right. Unless you want a solid?! I was told it starts as a 250 GK and they trim the tip (the thinner jacket) back to shorten it and make 215gn.

Her is one I recovered in testing. To your point, you can see how thick the jacket is at the tip. The expanded bullet is a 200 Fusion.

[Linked Image]
I would think that a 225-grain TTSX out of the .340 would be just about perfect for elk or moose. That's the one I use during moose season in Alaska, but with my .338WM rifle.
Looks like I should load some of my inventory into my 340 Weatherby and go whitetail hunting at 50-100 yards next season.
Looks like we'll do about the same amount of damage as a 22-250 with a 60 grain partition lol.
My luck would be I would get one of the bullets that comes apart!
My 338WinMag didn't like them. It shoots 200, 225, and 250 Hornadys and the Sierra 250 very well.
If you're looking for something in that same weight range don't overlook the 210gr Scirocco by Swift. I use it in my 338-06AI with great success. Accuracy and retained weight are excellent.
What are you guys using for powder? All my good loads are with RL-19 which is currently hard to find, so looking for a substitute, specifically, for 210 & 250gr pills.
If you talking about the 340 Weatherby - I'm only using RL-25 in mine. For all bullet weights, it gives the highest velocity including the 180's and 210's.
338. With my 340s, I've pretty much settled on MRP (RL-22) or VV N-165s with 250s or 210s.
Oh ok, I don't own a 338 but my father and brother do and they are running IMR-4350 with 210 Partitions. IIRC they are getting velocities just under 3000 fps with outstanding accuracy. It seems to be in good supply right now as I picked up 8 lbs of it a few months back.
© 24hourcampfire