Home

I load for 9 different cartridges and have Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Lapua, and Remington on my bench. My favorite bullet manufacturer is Nosler. I think they have an amazingly broad and diverse offering of hunting and target bullets.

I use moderate velocity rounds almost exclusively so I'm usually pushing bullets between 2400-2800 FPS. I love the Ballistic Tip for those velocities. As the game gets bigger, I generally use a bigger bullet vs pushing one faster.
For deer hunting Remington.
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

I load for 9 different cartridges and have Hornady, Speer, Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Lapua, and Remington on my bench. My favorite bullet manufacturer is Nosler. I think they have an amazingly broad and diverse offering of hunting and target bullets.

I use moderate velocity rounds almost exclusively so I'm usually pushing bullets between 2400-2800 FPS. I love the Ballistic Tip for those velocities. As the game gets bigger, I generally use a bigger bullet vs pushing one faster.

If so, you should have SPS on speed dial so to speak... wink. I'm always amazed at the guys that say they "love" Nosler, but have never heard of SPS. I only buy blemished and seconds from SPS as well. You can buy better bullets (partition vs. Hornady interlock or Sierra gameking) for the same or better prices through SPS...
i load for 3 rifles:

.243 still working on a load using Nosler

.280ai use Nosler for big game & Hornady for groundhogs

.338ai have some Nosler's left but switching to Barnes since nosler has been hit/miss for what I wanted and Barnes has been easy to find the bullets I want
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

If so, you should have SPS on speed dial so to speak... wink. I'm always amazed at the guys that say they "love" Nosler, but have never heard of SPS. I only buy blemished and seconds from SPS as well. You can buy better bullets (partition vs. Hornady interlock or Sierra gameking) for the same or better prices through SPS...

Yep.

My favorite bullets are Nosler seconds.
Speaking of SPS, they have a decent selection of .277, 7mm and 30 cal partition seconds right now:

Partition (Blem) bullets
Reloading, anymore I tend to lean towards Nosler or hornady. Use to shoot speer alot, but they have changed so much on products its rather annoying and unreliable for me.

Factory, cut my teeth on remington core-lokt. Still use factory loaded core locks. They may have changed there psp jacket a little, but there sp jacket still has that wonderful HEAVY hour-glass taper to it.
Lapua. Scenars, specifically.
Barnes, Barnes, Barnes,
Like others, I've used and still use many different brands.
My long time favorite big game bullet has been the Nosler Partition. But, since Kalifornia law requires non lead hunting bullets, I've switched over to the Barnes TTSX.
For rifle practice, the one brand that has always shot well for me with the same loads that work with my hunting bullets has been Sierra.
The only brands I've had a trouble finding reasonable accuracy and velocity have been the Swift-A-Frames and the older Speer Hot Cores. E
Nosler, Partitions in particular.

I'm always amazed at the guys that say they "love" Nosler, but have never heard of SPS. I only buy blemished and seconds from SPS as well. You can buy better bullets (partition vs. Hornady interlock or Sierra gameking) for the same or better prices through SPS...

I'm very aware of SPS. I'm not sure how you couldn't be if you are a member of this site. I might pick a Nosler box here and there at the store to see if my rifle likes them. If they do, I'll pick more from SPS when they come available.
My favorite is Nosler. They make a broad range of bullets, and you could hunt the world on Noslers alone.
My favourite is Nosler, in particular the Accubond but I like the Ballistic Tip and Partition too.

I like to try all sorts of bullets so have tried the various bullets from Speer, Hornady Interlock, Silvertips, Corelokt's Norma Spire Point, Alaska and Oryx, Swift Scirocco, Sako Hammerhead, Winchester Fail Safe, Barnes X, TSX and TTSX, Nosler E Tip and probably some I have forgotten.

Of that group I really like the Scirocco, TTSX, Oryx and Hammerhead.

This year I hope to try the Sierra 6.5mm 130 gr HPBT on deer and the 6.5mm Lapua 155 gr Mega bullet.

The only ones I didn't like were the 220 gr Silvertip from a 30-06 which came apart (but still brought down my first moose years ago) the Norma Spire point from a 308 Norma Mag (same issue on a bear) and a 375 250 gr X bullet which failed to expand on a bear (a second 260 gr Accubond hammered him nicely)
Oh and your favourite bullet sucks grin
#1 Nosler

#2 Sierra
Nosler here...

Specifically all of their 2nds..
Easy choice for me....Nosler.
Having grown up near Bend, I cut my teeth on Nosler seconds, back when you could get anything and all you wanted. Still use them when possible, but they don't make everything I need like

Speer makes a great 87 grain bullet for the 250-3000. Nosler claims none of theirs will shoot in the 1-14 twist of the old Savage rifles.

Hornady and Sierra 375 Winchester flat nose bullets. Nosler doesn't make one.

145 grain BTSP Speers with the right shape for the Savage 99 .284.
I've had a relatively difficult time with Noslers. Still work with them as I like their design, BC, etc. If I had to pick only one for hunting it would be Barnes.
Nosler with Hornady a distant 2nd
Nosler, then Sierra.
Hornady for me.

I load for 20 or so different rounds from .17 Rem to the .375 H&H. I use bullets from every major manufacturer, but have had the best luck with Hornady.
Hornady is usually where I start and mostly end but sometimes I go to the others.

Dale
Nosler then Sierra.........
Stateside game.................Nosler, hands down

African game...................Woodleigh and Barnes.
Hands down Barnes. I have used many others just fine but have settled on Barnes. Easy to get to shoot well and just flatazz kill.
I started handloading in 1953 with Sierra for target shooting and shot my first deer with a Sierra then.

These days it's mostly Noslers with others.
Nosler.
Hornady Amax, Vmax and HPBT cover 95% of my shooting.
Nosler and Barnes.
Nosler and Sierra for me in .257 Roberts and .35 Whelen, 100 gr.in the Roberts and 225 gr.in the Whelen.
Nosler and Sierra. I know that some others are very good too, but of late I've made an effort to simplify my reloading life so will stick to those two. I'm also cutting way back on the number of different powders on my bench as well.
Like most others on here, Nosler and Sierra. Mostly Noslers.

Started with Speers but as was said, with all of the changing and slow on the uptake, I've switched.
Tried the original Barnes and that didn't work. Moved to try the new one's and still couldn't get them to work in my rifles. The only one that did (a 7mm-08) I had three deer in one weekend get 'penciled' by Barnes so, dropped them.

I got on the Nosler band-wagon when a friend gave me some to try and on the first go-around fired a sub-.5" group with them. I've never looked back. As long as I do my part and put them in the right place on game animals, they drop. I like the Accubonds and Ballistic tips in most but also use some partitions as well.
For the Sierra's, they have been my go-to for my 30 calibers for some time now.
I'm kind of surprised at how popular Sierras are here. They've been accurate for me, but they tend to blow up on critters, making quite a mess. I'm not talking shoulder shots either. I've used the Pro-hunter and Gameking the most, but also the Blitzking and the Matchking on varmints. I haven't been impressed.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I'm kind of surprised at how popular Sierras are here. They've been accurate for me, but they tend to blow up on critters, making quite a mess. I'm not talking shoulder shots either. I've used the Pro-hunter and Gameking the most, but also the Blitzking and the Matchking on varmints. I haven't been impressed.

Sierra's work just fine if you use "heavy for caliber" pills. I use the gamekings quite a bit and they work great. My favorite elk load uses the 250gr. gk in the 338 win mag. I don't run them super fast either. Just have to be a little smarter when choosing the bullet and load for the game you are after... Pretty simple..
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Sierra's work just fine if you use "heavy for caliber" pills. I use the gamekings quite a bit and they work great. My favorite elk load uses the 250gr. gk in the 338 win mag. I don't run them super fast either. Just have to be a little smarter when choosing the bullet and load for the game you are after... Pretty simple..

Good point, I run Noslers so I don't have to worry though.. grin
Ha ha.. That's the simplest approach... laugh . I've had my share of bullet and powder juggling. Decided long ago that you don't have to have 20 different types of bullets for 1 cartridge. That kind of chit can give a guy a huge headache. If I want to go up in bullet weight, I just grab a different rifle/cartridge...As it is now, this is how I load:

223 rem: 53gr. V-max
270 win: 150gr. nosler partition
308 win: 150gr. Hornady interlock
30-06: 180gr. WW powerpoint and 180gr. Nosler partition (use same seater die setting).

300 win mag: 200gr. parititon
338 win mag: 250gr. Sierra GK...
9.3x62mm: 286gr. Nosler partition
375 H&H: 260gr. Nosler partition.....
For hunting purposes the Barnes tsx or ttsx is hard to beat, general target shooting at medium to long range the Sierra match kings and Hornady A max give me the best accuracy.
Nosler, then Sierra. Both are generally easy to get shoot accurately.

Hornady 55gr SP is my go-to 22cal bullet.

I love Barnes as far as performance on game. However, for me they have been more of a challenge to get to shoot accurately than the Noslers and Sierras.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSS

Geez....how any times do I have to tell you guys......
Wish SPS would send to Australia. Ballistic tips run about $45 a box here. Partitions $80.
Edit: make that $90 for a box of 180 grain 30 cal partitions. Sheesh!
Nosler hunting.

Sierra practice.

For me it really depends on the caliber and what my rifle shoots best. Generally, Nosler, Norma and Barnes all work well for hunting purposes and, pretty much in that order.
Just have to be a little smarter when choosing the bullet and load for the game you are after... Pretty simple..

It is simple....DONT USE A SIERRA

Seriously though, not much of a bullet when you have to use caveats.

Originally Posted by aus
Wish SPS would send to Australia. Ballistic tips run about $45 a box here. Partitions $80.
Edit: make that $90 for a box of 180 grain 30 cal partitions. Sheesh!

That sucks! Is there a good local bullet you can buy?
Like so many others, I use everything that is available. That way I always have an excuse to go to the range to check out a new bullet or powder or primer, or etc.
Nosler and Barnes here. Ballistic Tips and Partitions from Nosler are usually 2nds. or overruns. TTSXs from Barnes. Those three do all that needs doing.
348win 250gr woodleighs exclusivly
356win 250 kodiaks or 200gr win PP
30 06 180 trophy bonded tipped
thats all I hunt with nowadays, have used swift a-frames, hornadys and nosler accubonds with great results over the years also
My favorite bullets are Nosler seconds.
I'm mostly a coyote and deer hunter. Favorite brand used to be Hornady but since they've dropped some of my favorite bullets I've been putting more Noslers on the shelf.
Sierra for most accurate, core-lokt for most game on the ground.
Sierra 140gr 6.5mm Gamekings and 140gr 7mm Prohunters have given me the best performances on whitetails. No penciled through holes or blow ups that didn't exit.
Originally Posted by JP_Lucas
Sierra 140gr 6.5mm Gamekings and 140gr 7mm Prohunters have given me the best performances on whitetails. No penciled through holes or blow ups that didn't exit.

What cartridges?
Mine is Sierra, and not for the reasons you may think. When everyone else is loading for zombies; plastic tipping; and trying to perfect monometal, Sierra has left their line relatively unchanged.

There are a ton of people who liked a Nosler this, a Hornady that, or a Speer Deep Something...but those are not made any more.
Favorite bullet manufacturer? Myself. smile
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Mine is Sierra, and not for the reasons you may think. When everyone else is loading for zombies; plastic tipping; and trying to perfect monometal, Sierra has left their line relatively unchanged.

There are a ton of people who liked a Nosler this, a Hornady that, or a Speer Deep Something...but those are not made any more.

very good point!
Hornady by a mile.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Hornady by a mile.

Travis

We seldom agree, but...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Now if Hornady would just re-replace the forming dies and get the .308", 150 grain flat base Interlock ogive back to the correct shape.
Hornady all the way for accuracy, performance and price.

Second place comes Sierra, who I find to be as accurate but not quite as good in terminal effect, and a little expensive compared.

Every other bullet imported into this country has a bloated price tag, including Speer which used to be a bargain favourite.
Nosler
Lapua
Remington Core Lokt
Hornady Interlock
Nosler and Swift
I like noslers and hornadys
I use Nosler partition for bigger game such as elk or moose, Hornady for long range work, and heavy for caliber Sierra Gamekings for Whitetail and MuleDeer.

Shod
© 24hourcampfire