Home
Posted By: soloman Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/29/16
Trying to figure out why my powder throw isn't throwing but a fraction of what its supposed to. Never used a throw and beam scale before. Read all instructions and watched stuff on Youtube. I'm doing everything according to instructions and this thing is not only throwing a FRACTION of 48grains (more like 12) it has a hard time functioning when its metering the powder. I have to force the handle.
Anyone out there help me out on this? Otherwise i have beams and powder throw for sale and i'll go back to something 110v
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/29/16
What do you mean by "isn't throwing but a fraction of what it's supposed to"?
Posted By: soloman Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
What do you mean by "isn't throwing but a fraction of what it's supposed to"?

I've got the mic set to 48grains. Its throwing maybe 12. And has a hard time cycling powder. Handle cranks easy without powder. And is cutting powder like crazy
Posted By: Brett_Mc Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/29/16
What do you mean you have it "set to 48 grains"? You have the mike adjusted to the number 48?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/29/16
soloman,

The micrometer numbers have nothing to do with grains of powder. Instead they're just references, so once you find the setting for the charge you want, through experimentation, you can make a note of the number. Then if you want to use that charge again, you just reset the micrometer.
Posted By: soloman Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/30/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
soloman,

The micrometer numbers have nothing to do with grains of powder. Instead they're just references, so once you find the setting for the charge you want, through experimentation, you can make a note of the number. Then if you want to use that charge again, you just reset the micrometer.

Thanks John
Posted By: scottishkat Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/31/16
I have the 3-BR redding and agree with MD. The numbers are reference only. Set at 48 and throwing 12 consistently does not seem correct to me. Maybe on the first throw.

You can always call Redding they have been great to deal with. 607) 753-3331

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob
Posted By: HawkI Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/31/16
Sounds like a 3BR with a pistol meter in it....

Designations are also not in nominal grains like on the rifle chambered meter.
Posted By: HawkI Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/31/16
If the meter plug all the way out doesnt have a "100" anywhere on it, its a pistol meter..either that or its not aligned with the set screw.

If this is still up, maybe Ill get a pic of the two meters.
Posted By: soloman Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/31/16
Originally Posted by HawkI
Sounds like a 3BR with a pistol meter in it....

Designations are also not in nominal grains like on the rifle chambered meter.

I called Redding today and we came to the conclusion that the guy I bought it from either didn't know what he had or chumped me. Its a pistol meter. Have no use for this so I guess it'll be up for sale.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 05/31/16
Can't change the meter out?
Posted By: soloman Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 06/01/16
Originally Posted by Higbean
Can't change the meter out?

Yes. That's another $55 according to Redding. I'm gonna go back to a 110v scale. Prolly a rcbs 750
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Redding BR3 and RL15 - 06/01/16
They show up on eBay from time to time sometimes for less than Redding.
© 24hourcampfire