Home
Several years ago I did some research on this topic and have been using IMR 4064 for 100-155 gr. in the .257 and 225 gr. in the .35. What powder is anyone else using as their go to powder in these calibers/bullet weights? RL-15 has been suggested as a good choice in the .35 not sure about the .257.
Off the top of my head...varget or 4350 or maybe rl15
I only shoot the Roberts though
RL-15 will work good in both as will 4064,3031.

I have used all 3.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Several years ago I did some research on this topic and have been using IMR 4064 for 100-155 gr. in the .257 and 225 gr. in the .35. What powder is anyone else using as their go to powder in these calibers/bullet weights? RL-15 has been suggested as a good choice in the .35 not sure about the .257.

155 in the Roberts??
155 gr, pretty heavy for a 25 cal .Misprint prob.
Originally Posted by kenster99
155 gr, pretty heavy for a 25 cal .Misprint prob.

Probably thinking about 6.5mm

DF
i bet Hybrid 100V is a decent choice, without consulting my guides
4064 or RL15.

But I would not be delighted with them in the Roberts. They'd work OK.
IMR4895
Originally Posted by jmd025

For pure performance, no consideration of temp sensitivity, H100V is about the best performer for the Roberts, like 3,200 fps with the 100 TTSX. And in my Brux barrel, sub half inch. And that load is a real killer...

DF
never mind, dirtfarmer answered my concern lol
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

For pure performance, no consideration of temp sensitivity, H100V is about the best performer for the Roberts, like 3,200 fps with the 100 TTSX. And in my Brux barrel, sub half inch. And that load is a real killer...

DF

10-4 , ive heard good stuff about it in the Roberts. I just picked some up and started using it in my 375 for practice loads, just using Hodgdons start load and a sierra 300 GK. 70 cents or so a shot ill take it.
havent put it in any 25 calibers yet , but have read about its temp / velocity fluctuation.
Im in hot louisiana as well as you, so thats a deal.
Originally Posted by ingwe
IMR4895

And H4895

DF

10-4 , ive heard good stuff about it in the Roberts. I just picked some up and started using it in my 375 for practice loads, just using Hodgdons start load and a sierra 300 GK. 70 cents or so a shot ill take it.
havent put it in any 25 calibers yet , but have read about its temp / velocity fluctuation.

And WET Louisiana.

We are North of the destruction, hope you didn't get wet...

DF

DF

And WET Louisiana.

We are North of the destruction, hope you didn't get wet...

DF

Im "norther" than you. Its been just fine up here. Sad for my folks down south though. We have family in Crowley and friends all over the affected areas.

4895, 4064, Varget, 4320 or '15. I wouldn't go slower than '15 in the Whelen.

It's really a compromise as the expansion ratio of those two chamberings are quite different.
looked at hodgdon and they dont list any 35 whelen loads with hybrid 100v, so disregard my statement, although i feel it would work in that cartridge.
IMR-4064 or RL-15. I like Hybrid in my 6mm but it seems to vary a bit from lot to lot.
155 is a misprint, intended to type 115gr.
Originally Posted by ingwe
IMR4895

And once again the voice of reason speaks.

Not that 4198 wouldn't also have its uses.
The Roberts sizzles with Ramshot Hunter and 115 grain bullets. I would think that Hunter would work well with 225 grain Whelen as well.
© 24hourcampfire