Home
So, just in time for hunting season reloads, I'm starting to "experiment" again. I'm curious about who's SO happy with their chosen bullet that they don't use anything else.

I know about all the variables of caliber, speed, distance, BC/SD values.., for this question let's assume we all know how to put the bullet where it belongs. I care about terminal performance.

I've spent ten years with boat-tail ballistic tips, and been very happy. I'm considering the switch to hollow point flatbase for better short range (>300yds) accuracy.

Who's settled on "the best", and why? Who's still experimenting, and why?

...oh, whitetails, and yes, I know they're easy to kill, even with a pointed stick or rock.
and blacktails will give you a anger management issues.
I'm still in the "trying different things" phase. I've only been reloading about 5yrs and collecting rifles for a few more. So far I haven't found anything that doesn't work on our small southern whitetails, but I'm careful not to use frangible bullets in small calibers. I have found that Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra Gamekings tend to be the easiest to get to shoot accurately in most calibers.
Any of the following bullets at 3k and you are done:

.277 140gr NAB or 150gr NPT

.284 160gr NAB

.308 180gr NBT

.338 200gr NBT/AB
Originally Posted by JeffG
.........I'm curious about who's SO happy with their chosen bullet that they don't use anything else.

Me.... smile
...oh, whitetails, and yes, I know they're easy to kill, even with a pointed stick or rock.

I prefer the pointed stick..
Partition, what else is there?

Jim
Originally Posted by BobinNH
.........I'm curious about who's SO happy with their chosen bullet that they don't use anything else.

Me.... smile

which bullet?
Thanks Antelope Sniper,
I've spent some time thinking speed is the key too, and You are using bullets on the heavier end of the caliber.

I'm looking at mostly 2750-2900fps from short action calibers + standard weight(for caliber) bullets (277@130g, 284@140g, 308@150g, 358@200g).

I am in that category. 150 Hornady Interlock in my .308s, 160 Partition in one 7 mag, 140 Abs or 139 Interlocks in the other 7 mag. 100 Interlocks in my 6mm Rem, but that rifle is soon to be a .260. I plan on the 129 Interlock in the new rifle.
JeffG, I hunt with one rifle exclusively. And,since around 1992 have used one bullet exclusively. However, as the bullet evolved,I followed it's evolution.And, until last year had used the same bullet weight. But, I wanted a bullet with a higher BC, while staying with the same manufacturer. Since it was not offered in my preferred weight,I was forced to change to a lower weight. This brand has never disappointed me in all these years. From Pronghorn,to elk,moose,bear,with an occasional fox or coyote thrown in. Oh, I failed to mention, it's a Barnes! memtb
First thing,the whole boat tail thing is just a marketing ploy and you really have to stretch the distance to achieve any better accuracy out of one vs a flat base. Manufacturing techniques and quality control have more to do with accuracy than the BT. In fact,many rifle shot the flat base more accureatley than the boat tail.If you find better accuracy with the flat base,that is probably the reason
JeffG,
I think you are in the right spot for velocity. I usually like to keep things in the 2750-2800fps zone for deer also. For bullets we are in an unleaded zone (soon to be statewide) so Barnes is the obvious choice. No complaints, everything ends up dead, the vast majority with 1 shot DRT.

Me.... smile

which bullet?

Nosler Partition......mostly.
I don't switch around. I use works for me and I stock up on those bullets. I'm not trying to hit a specific hair on an animal so 1.5" (or less) 3 shot groups is good to go. Shooting distance is usually under 100 yards.
Thanks Antelope Sniper,
I've spent some time thinking speed is the key too, and You are using bullets on the heavier end of the caliber.

I'm looking at mostly 2750-2900fps from short action calibers + standard weight(for caliber) bullets (277@130g, 284@140g, 308@150g, 358@200g).

Jeff, Velocity helps with quick expansion, and mass aids with penetration. IME NBTs perform well up to about 3k, but above that, it's time to switch to a more substantial design, such as the AB or Partition.

For a "one and done" bullet, I find the biggest NBT/AB you can throw at 3k generally works really.

I shoot a lot of lighter, faster bullets as well, but those are usually reserved for deer and antelope and not for when Elk is in on the menu.

Me.... smile

Great answer Bob. All I can say is me, too. Partition, that is... mostly.
I am going thru the process now, wife & I are planning out first elk hunt so I have done a lot of searching. I think I have made a decision as of this morning at the range. My Sako 30-06 likes the Nosler Accubond 165 with 60-61 gr of RL-22. The Browning 30-06 seems to prefer the Hornady Interlock SP 165 with 61 gr of RL-22. Now to figure a way to keep them separated in a way that they will not be used in the wrong gun, not a problem if they do, just a loss of accuracy.
Prwlr: wink

Easy way to roll. One of the most consistent BG bullets in existence.

TTSX
I will use whatever is most accurate. To date, any projectile that I've gotten up to about 1,250 fps has had more than adequate terminal performance.
190 grain .30 flat nose- lead alloy, cast soft (10-13bhn), driven at 2000fps out of any of my .30 rifles. grin

Pure joy to shoot, works a treat, and costs about 1/40th of a premium store-bought projectile...
Looking on my reloading bench, I'd have to say the AB for the most part. In the 358 I like the Sierra's.
I'll do the partitions in a couple of rifles that like 'em.
Originally Posted by memtb
JeffG, I hunt with one rifle exclusively. And,since around 1992 have used one bullet exclusively. However, as the bullet evolved,I followed it's evolution.And, until last year had used the same bullet weight. But, I wanted a bullet with a higher BC, while staying with the same manufacturer. Since it was not offered in my preferred weight,I was forced to change to a lower weight. This brand has never disappointed me in all these years. From Pronghorn,to elk,moose,bear,with an occasional fox or coyote thrown in. Oh, I failed to mention, it's a Barnes! memtb

Now if you would just step up to a real rifle and get rid of that pea shooter!! whistle
Pre 1992, Partitions.

Post 1992, Barnes.

I've not recovered a Barnes from a big game animal yet, in any caliber I use.

In particular, I can get the TTSX and TSX to shoot very, very well in everything I load them in.
For the last 30 years I've used regular ol' Remington Core-Lokt or Speer Hot Cor bullets in just about every caliber I deer hunt with and have no complaints with their ability to kill deer.
Sid, I wasn't going to mention calibers. Some folks think that hunting big game with small caliber rifles is irresponsible! But, a "man has got to know his limitations"! memtb
LOL
One bullet that fits "The Best" in my reloading book has been the .308 165 grain Hornady Interlock SP. Back in 2000, I was just getting started with reloading and the guys at shooters.com suggested it as a good place to start. I was contemplating a combination deer/boar hunt in the Texas Hill Country and I had two 30-06's that were going to be making the trip.

The Texas trip fell through, but I ended up buying a 200 acre farm the next fall. Those Hornadys were with me on that first Opener and the bullet has been part of every season since.

The starting load worked was so accurate in my Winchester Mod70, that I stopped there. Since then, I've used that bullet in several other rifles, including my favorite Opening Day deer rifle, a Savage 99 in 308 WIN.

My runner up is the .308 150 grain Remington PSPCL. My sons both have WIN Mod 70's in 30-06 and I load that bullet for their deer loads.

I'll put in two honorable mentions:
1) .358 200 grain REM SPCL in my 35 Whelen.
2) .257 117 grain Hornady SP Interlock in my 25-06

Originally Posted by shaman
One bullet that fits "The Best" in my reloading book has been the .308 165 grain Hornady Interlock SP. Back in 2000, I was just getting started with reloading and the guys at shooters.com suggested it as a good place to start. I was contemplating a combination deer/boar hunt in the Texas Hill Country and I had two 30-06's that were going to be making the trip.

The Texas trip fell through, but I ended up buying a 200 acre farm the next fall. Those Hornadys were with me on that first Opener and the bullet has been part of every season since.

The starting load worked was so accurate in my Winchester Mod70, that I stopped there. Since then, I've used that bullet in several other rifles, including my favorite Opening Day deer rifle, a Savage 99 in 308 WIN.

My runner up is the .308 150 grain Remington PSPCL. My sons both have WIN Mod 70's in 30-06 and I load that bullet for their deer loads.

I'll put in two honorable mentions:
1) .358 200 grain REM SPCL in my 35 Whelen.
2) .257 117 grain Hornady SP Interlock in my 25-06

I have never owned a gun that would not shoot an Interlock.
I still like to experiment just for the sake of experimentation but the vast majority of the animals I've taken over the years have been w/ the Interlock... 30/150, 165, & 180 RN, 257/100, and 30WCF/150. Over the last few years I've done some killing with NBTs... 243/90, 308/168, and just in the last couple of years ran the 257/90 gr GMX through a few things which convinced me the Barnes need some investigation so a couple rifles are shooting those.

If bullet manufacture ended and I was left w/ Interlocks and (last few years manufactured) Ballistic Tips I'd be golden. Even so, I am growing to love the monos which is good because I think we all know that sooner or later lead cored bullets will be regulated heavily.

To me reloading and terminal ballistics are horribly fascinating, and make experimentation extraordinarily enjoyable even though I know what works.
223 = Nosler 64 BSB
243 = Nosler 95 BTip
30-06 = Barnes 130 TTSX

Me too, in some rifles.

35 Whelen = 225gr Partition
22 Hornet = 40gr V-Max
5.56 - I cheat and shoot two - 50gr SP varmint and 65gr SGK

Everything else is just rifle looniness and "what if" or boredom.
210 gr swift scirroco 338 exiting barrel at 3200 works for me. Elk, antelope, whitetail and moose. All die.
Most commonly hunted rifles-

.221 Fireball- 40 NBT
.223- 50 NBT
.22-250- 50 NBT
.243- 100 NPT
250-3000- 87 Speer of course grin
270 Titus 110 Barnes ttsx
284 in a short action (99) 145 Speer BTSP
300 Savage- 130 Barnes ttsx
308- 130 barnes ttsx
338 Federal- 160 Barnes ttsx
358- Hornady Interlock 200
375 Winchester- Sierra 200FP
I shoot moderate velocity rounds (2600-2900 fps) so I'm partial to SPS Ballistic Tips for accuracy, cost and performance.
tally so far;

ballistic tip/Accubond = 11
bonded spire point (flatbase and boattail) = 10
Partitions = 10
monoliths = 6
Roundnose/flatnose/cast = 3

Thanks for the all the considered answers gentlemen!
© 24hourcampfire