Home
Hi,
My Son-in-law just purchased a bolt rifle for deer hunting. It is chambered in 7-08 a caliber I have never loaded for. What would be your recommendation for brass, powder, primers, and bullet (both weight and brand). He will be hunting in upstate SC so mostly 200 yards or less and usually 150lbs or less. Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Doug
Doug, lot of threads on this subject. The gold standard is 120gr Nosler BT over RL15. I use WW brass and Remington LR primers. Works great.
If you want a little more weight, the 140 Sierra ProHunter works great for me over 4350 at those distances. I use these in a SS Marlin XS7.
120 Ballistic Tip, any good brass and standard strength primer, and something like Varget, RL15, 4895 or 4064.

As already mentioned the 140 Sierra is a good one, and the 139 Interlock is sure fire too.
I load 140gr Rem Corelokts or Hornady 139gr flat base bullets over 48gr of H4350 in Remington cases.
Good recommendations here so far. Myself, RL 15 powder is hard to beat. I am however, currently working some loads with Big Game which are looking good. Easy through the powder measure and fast.
I would load one load for any situation.

Winchester brass
IMR 4064, or Varget, nigh interchangeable

140 Accubond

Nothing wrong with the 120 BT above, or Barnes 120.
After that, go to the 130-139/140. All kill deer fine.

Nothing greater needed, though no flies on a 150 BT or 154 SST though added recoil and drop, still flat enough especially at those distances.

Good hunting! About any fair loading will get the job done, with vital shots.
130 Speer BTSP with IMR 4064.
An easy caliber to load for.. I have used Horn.139's, 120 Vmax, and 100 grain Sierra hollow points on game.. Everything shoots well.. Have some 160 HPBT's, but haven't taken anything with them.. Use I4350 with the 160's. And what ever was handy with the rest..
My 7-08 is my go-to deer hunting rifle, and I use 140 Sierra Pro-Hunters over Varget and Win primers.
I am not a fan of ballistic tips at the short ranges specified.

R-15 or Varget and a 120 TSX or about 46gr. IMR 4350 and a 140 Partition.

Your son in law chose wisely. The 7-08 is as good as it gets for deer......
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Please elaborate on your short range experience with 120BT's. I've killed 17 whitetails and several dozen hogs with it so far with no trouble, ranges 15-175 yds.
I would just buy 100 rounds of Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo, 139 grain SpirePoints at 2,840 fps is a great place to start. After you shoot up the factory ammo, you have good brass that is fire-formed to your chamber and you can reload with whatever bullet make/style moves you. Or, you might decide that the Hornady factory ammo does all that you need to get done in the deer fields.

Oh, wait a minute, that's what I did when I needed to feed the 6.5 Creedmoors, 129 grain SpirePoint, and 7mm-08s, 139 grain SpirePoint.
In 7-08 have killed deer with BTs, BSTs, Partitions, Grand Slams, Hot-Cors, TSXs, Power Points, and Hornady SP. Maybe more.

The BTs were the only of said bullets that made more of a mess of things than I prefer on closer range shots. They also did not put 2 holes in the deer. Which not every other bullet did either. I am not sure if I really "require" an exit, as most do not go far enough to matter. They did kill quickly and reliably. But so did the others.

I recall saying something about this to Mule Deer a while back, or maybe last year. I want to say he said that I may have been using the old school BTs and that the jacket had been made thicker and or tougher since then. Not sure. Seen same with many a 270 Win and 130 BTs also. Meat damage on shoulder shots and messy, comparatively speaking, to the other bullets. Those were also the early offerings.

I also used some 140 grain CT BSTs. They also worked well, but again, very messy in comparison to the Partitions and TSXs, etc. that I have used most often. Needless to say, I was turned off by these bullets from the get go, and have never warmed up to them since. They may be better now, I wouldn't know...........
Think the Hornady 139 SP was either the first or second 7-08 bullet I ever used. No need to ever change really, for deer.

I have a boat load of Win 150 PPs here now. When the last of my TSXs get used up, I may just go old scool again. I have decided that it really doesn't matter much what bullet I shoot deer with.

Trying different bullets on deer is fun, but the end result is always the same....
Originally Posted by mathman
120 Ballistic Tip, any good brass and standard strength primer, and something like Varget, RL15, 4895 or 4064.

As already mentioned the 140 Sierra is a good one, and the 139 Interlock is sure fire too.

Sounds like a good place to start, especially considering the source.
Same load, different rifles, same results. Load data is printed on the target.

Standard stainless T3

[Linked Image]

Stainless T3 Superlite

[Linked Image]

P
Which Tikka holds better?

I used a good deal of 140 BTs and 139s long ago in a 700 Varmint. In an HS Stock. The BTs edged out SLIGHTLY in groups, but in the field the 139s were devastating, as was the BTs, though the 139 seemed to be a bit tougher. Killed with 120 SP and HP in a 7BR rifle, and used 130 Sierra SSP, in the 7/08, as well as 140 Sierra BTSP, which did fine, but shed alot of weight. Shot angle, distance, and your preferred placement matters.

The 130 AB really impressed me in the 6.5, and again would be my preferred if I had to start with one, and use it under all conditions near and far.

On BTs, the 120s in 7mm were beefed up in the jacket as many here know, for using on steel for pistol shooters i.e. XP-100 7mmBRs. They seem to act more like a 140 BT on game, but up close on bone they can be more explosive.

Meat damage might be heavier with softer bullets depending on shot placement, though the game may drop as quick. At closer shots, say within 200 yds, I would use the 120 BTs on lungs. If using a Barnes 120, I would aim for shoulders....
Just found a really accurate load in a 7-08AI using 46.5 gr 2000MR and 140 gr Nosler AB. This is a pretty accurate rifle, and has shot several 3 shot groups under an inch at 100. This one may be the most accurate yet for this rifle, and should be safe in most standard 7-08s. Average vel was 2890 fps in the 24" barrel. 6 shots over 2 different days were a little less than 2.5" of one another, all banging a gong we have set up at 250 yds. I really like the consistency, especially at that distance.
its danged near impossible to find a "bad" load for the 7mm08 on deer.

most projectiles work well in it's velocity range, and the recoil is so mild its very easy to shoot for most shooters.

Love mine, and use it for danged near everything. Coyotes, pigs, deer. I wouldn't hesitate to take it elk hunting, but haven't yet.

it's "boringly accurate" without much effort.

most guys on here preach the 120 BT. It must be great to have that many fans (especially on a forum so rich with critics).

all that said, I use 150 gr Sierra soft points over 42 gr of 4320.

I was just shooting it this past weekend at 200 yards, and producing ~2-2.5" groups. (no wind at all, a glorious day at the range) smile

Mine is a Savage 14 American Classic. YMMV.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I would just buy 100 rounds of Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo, 139 grain SpirePoints at 2,840 fps is a great place to start. After you shoot up the factory ammo, you have good brass that is fire-formed to your chamber and you can reload with whatever bullet make/style moves you. Or, you might decide that the Hornady factory ammo does all that you need to get done.

I agree with this notion. That is some good ammo at $23 or so per box. I'd buy 2-3 boxes and save the brass for when you get ready to try another bullet.
I did the American whitetail thing too, got 5 boxes and when it's shot up I'll load.

In a 7-08 for your uses I'd look at the 120 NBT with rl 15 or varget. If you want heavier any standard 139 or 140 SP will do just dandy at the 7-08's speeds
For me, the 7-08 is all about 140's and heavier. The 140 Ballistic Tip would be my first stop. For whatever reason, all my 7-08's have shot better with bullets heavier than 140, so don't stop there.

I've even heard the 150 Ballistic Tip is good on elk...
I'm a big fan of the 140gr tsx
Originally Posted by ALLongshot

Would be interested in your pet load and how that bullet is working for you.

DF
Like others have said, it would be difficult to find a bad deer load in the 7-08. Personally, I like the 139 Hornady flat base and the 140 Sierra Pro Hunter. Varget and H4350 have both worked well. Whatever you chose, load up and hunt with confidence.
Dirtfarmer, I use H414 and 140 TTSX for a load. Maybe it will work for you?
I've got a number of different loads ready to go, 120's to 140's, not the 140 TTSX at this time. I even have Cutting Edge 120 gr. Raptors to try.

I would probably go lighter with a mono, like 120 gr., although the 140 TTSX should open pretty well at 7-08 speeds.

When I finally get around to testing these loads, I'll report.

DF
Sounds good, I ended up with a 140 because of accuracy issues with the 120's in my finicky rifle.
Gotcha.

I don't yet know what my new to me 7-08 is going to like.

I'm sure I'll be leaning in the direction of performance.

DF
Barnes 120 TTSX in front of varget or AR Comp, whichever works best. Drive them as fast as you can. Buy a box of 100 Lapua brass & be done with it, nothing comes close to Lapua quality. I always try to use federal primers in my hunting loads even if they give up a little accuracy, I've never had one not go bang. Every other brand has given me a misfire at one time or another.
A couple of loads that have worked well in my Ruger 77 are 42.5gr of Varget with either a AB, or BT 140gr Nosler. Either is just fine for deer/ Lopes. I usually do my load & practice with the BT, then hunt with the AB. The other load is 42.5gr of RL-15 with a 120gr Barnes. Either is sub MOA for me, usually around 3/4".

Have fun with whatever you try.
I do the same NBT/NAB swap out with my .300 WM; 180 NBT's for targets, NAB's for game. I found NBT's to have a slight accuracy edge over NAB's, but not enough to make a big difference.

The .30 cal. 180 gr. NAB and NBT have the same B.C., ogive, seating depth, POI, etc.

With the new NBT's, maybe not that much terminal performance difference; with vintage NBT's, a good bit of difference.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gotcha.

DF

Well.....get busy will 'ya? Inquiring minds want to know if that new toy shoots as good as it looks....!!
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Gotcha.

DF

Well.....get busy will 'ya? Inquiring minds want to know if that new toy shoots as good as it looks....!!

Gotcha... laugh

Too much stuff on my plate right now.

Everything in it's proper time... cool

Inquiring minds will know when I know... smile

I'm as anxious as anyone to see those results....

DF
Originally Posted by ALLongshot

Would be interested in your pet load and how that bullet is working for you.

DF

I found factory loaded Federal premium loaded with the Barnes tsx for cheaper than I could buy just the bullet itself so I gave up on load development. But I had great results from a max load of H4350. Load was just under 1" and I would have been very happy to hunt with it but I'm alway looking for better.
The factory loads shoot just as good and were about 40 fps faster so I bought a lifetime supply while I could still find them. They have now been discontinued
If you are looking for good performance and a higher BC, check out the 145 LRX. Even quicker opening than the TTSX. Pretty dramatic at close ranges at 3150 fps, but slowed down a bit in the 7mm-08 should be perfect
Originally Posted by KenMi
If you are looking for good performance and a higher BC, check out the 145 LRX. Even quicker opening than the TTSX. Pretty dramatic at close ranges at 3150 fps, but slowed down a bit in the 7mm-08 should be perfect

I have some, will load a few to see how they do.

DF
Originally Posted by tred1956
Hi,
My Son-in-law just purchased a bolt rifle for deer hunting. It is chambered in 7-08 a caliber I have never loaded for. What would be your recommendation for brass, powder, primers, and bullet (both weight and brand). He will be hunting in upstate SC so mostly 200 yards or less and usually 150lbs or less. Any and all opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Doug

120NBT RL15, Big Game, Varget, H4350, IMR 4320, IMR4166, or IMR 4064. All will give about 2950 fps out of a 22" barrel.

139 Hornady, Sierra 140, 140 accubond CFE223, Varget, H4350, H4166, RL15, Big Game will give 2800-2850 fps with 22" barrel.

Any of these bullets will do the job on deer. Also consider Prvi Partisan brass (Graf and Powder Valley) it is available and pretty good. Rem and Win has been spotty to find.
I just got a 7-08. I picked up 50 rounds of brass ($39) then saw the American whitetail ammo. I grabbed a few boxes for testing. It was $17.50/box and almost the same price as plain hornady brass. If I knew that I would have skipped the brass and just bought a few extra boxes.
Same load, different rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
What brass?
Originally Posted by 65BR
What brass?

Remington, once-fired FL resized.

I have better groups with Partitions. Killed a buck Tuesday at 541 yards.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
What brass?

Killed a buck Tuesday at 541 yards.

I'd enjoy hearing more about this story!
I just found one that shoots .75 inches in my model 7. 41 grains of R15 and 139 grain hornady gmx. I like the tough bullets like Barnes, swift and gmx because when I hunt deer it is usually combined with the possibility of elk.
Originally Posted by fremont
What brass?

Killed a buck Tuesday at 541 yards.

I'd enjoy hearing more about this story!

We were hunting alfalfa fields that butt up against sparsely timbered ridges. The deer would appear (if they showed at all) at first and last light. First the does and fawns, then maybe, just maybe a buck would show up. Tuesday was a maybe night.

The deer were uncharacteristically spooky. At one point we stopped to glass a small bunch around 450 yards away. As soon as we got out of the car they bolted into the trees. No easy shots this year.

Tuesday night we set up on the north field, since we had seen the most activity in that field. No bucks, but plenty of does. I was on the spotter set up behind a berm trying to put horns on a doe to no avail. We were losing light fast. While I was looking at the left edge of the field my dad told me he could see more deer entering the field on the right.

I swivelled the spotter that way and immediately found the deer in the tall grass on the other side of the fence. Two deer were acting strangely but I realized they were sparring. Okay, just jump the fence. I got a reading with my laser rangefinder, 560 yards. After they jumped the fence the bucks sparred closer, to 541 yards. Check the range card, dial the scope, find the bigger one again. I practice regularly to 600 yards but ringing steel and shooting blood are different endeavors.

I was on a solid rest by this time and began the routine. Breathe in, let it out, breathe in, halfway out, squeeeeeze...BOOM! Up on his hind legs like a horse, I knew he was hit hard. He didn't even run. The 140 Partition from my 7mm-08 broke his right scapula on the way in, double lung, and broke the shoulder knuckle (dang) on the way out. We figured 1926 fps at impact.

Not a bad buck, but the body on him was impressive. He's on the right. Tagged immediately after.

[Linked Image]

We went 5 for 5, all with my handloads. Four with a 7mm-08 (2 140 Partition, 1 140 Accubond, 1 140 Berger VLD).

[Linked Image]

It was a good year.

P
My 14 year old daughter shot her first deer last year with a 7-08. She is a petite little thing so I wanted a light load that wouldn't beat her. Using the 60% rule with H4895 I tested the 120 NBT with 27, 28, 29, 30, 35, and 40 grains and shot three shot groups through her M7 youth. Every group was sub-MOA and I picked the 29gr charge.

This year she is a bit bigger and can take some more recoil so I am going to try the 35 gr load with the 120 and also try something in the 33-35gr range with the Horn 139 BTSP. I wasn't extremely happy with the NBT performance after at 70yds on her doe and would like something that is going to hold together better and penetrate.
Same load, different rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P

120BT's and Big Game are a killer combo in my 7/08 also. It shoots with Varget and RL15 well too, but the Big Game is remarkably accurate.
Good shot, Pharm. I love the 7-08. I've killed a few antelope at long range with it and it just works!
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

2muchgun,

Good morning to you sir. I can remember using the 120 ballistic tip back in the early 80s and like yourself was not a fan at close range. Apon the advice of a close friend however I tried the 120 in a 7mm-08 a few years back and found the modern version to be a different animal. In fact in my opinion it performs much more like a partition nowadays. I've taken 11 deer in the last 3 years anywhere from 30 yds to almost 300. I've found the 120 ballistic tip to work exceptionally well at a variety of distances. My previous load in this rifle was with the 120 Barnes. While the Barnes worked very well for me my experience was the longer shots were less than stellar if one is taking a heart lung shot.

Respectfully
Trystan
^ I shot 120gr BTs out of my 7x57 back in 2001 and was not impressed - too much expansion even for this diehard BTS fan.

Fast forward 15years and I revisited them now my old favourite 120gr Hornady sp has been dropped.

They work really well - shot some big fallow with them and expansion/penetration is excellent.
© 24hourcampfire