Home
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have a question about charge weight.
I have been hand loading a little over a year with a 30/06.
So in your experience with finding an accuracy node with virgin brass , what have you had to do to your charge weight for once fired full length sized brass ? ( using the same rifle ).

WT.
Posted By: 805 Re: Virgin to once fired brass ? - 09/27/16
I use once fired brass to find my node and when loading virgin brass have found little to no change from my node.

welcome to 24HR Campfire.........

dump 57/H4350 in with your choice of 165 gr boolit......

go kill schidt........
Thanks for the welcoming tikkanut and to 805 for sharing your experience.

WT.
What the hell is an accuracy node?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

This
Originally Posted by tikkanut

welcome to 24HR Campfire.........

dump 57/H4350 in with your choice of 165 gr boolit......

go kill schidt........

Or you could start at 57gr and work up to 59gr.

Typically you will find a node in there someplace.

But, this close to hunting season, option 1 would be viable in most .06's.

The theorey goes that there is barrel whip or, if you prefer, vibration of the barrel; somewhat like the string of a musical instrument, when a gun is fired and that there are several places (nodes) where the weight of a powder charge is optimal for precision shooting.

An alleged way to find the node is to do a "ladder test" in which a single shot is made at a targe with consecutively increasing powder charge weights. A node occurs in those areas where shots tend to cluster despite the change in powder charge weight. If you have a gun capable of fairly good precision shooting, it will probably work.
Originally Posted by Grumulkin

The theorey goes that there is barrel whip or, if you prefer, vibration of the barrel; somewhat like the string of a musical instrument, when a gun is fired and that there are several places (nodes) where the weight of a powder charge is optimal for precision shooting.

An alleged way to find the node is to do a "ladder test" in which a single shot is made at a targe with consecutively increasing powder charge weights. A node occurs in those areas where shots tend to cluster despite the change in powder charge weight. If you have a gun capable of fairly good precision shooting, it will probably work.

A visual might help here. Credit to Dan Newberry. He developed the OCW (Optimal Charge Weight) method.

[Linked Image]
Jaysus, like I need one more thing to worry about!

Thanks for the explanation anyway fellers.
© 24hourcampfire