Home
Posted By: hanco Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
If you had to pick a bullet manufacturer, which brand would you choose? I load some Barnes and Sierra's, but if I had to pick it would be Nosler.
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Local area is unleaded and has been for years. Barnes
Posted By: RShooter Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Barnes
Posted By: Muffin Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler Sierra....

I do have a limited supply of 300 grn Barnes Originals that my 338 shoots like a laser............
Posted By: LowerRiver Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Barnes
Posted By: slm9s Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
If I was rich it would be Berger.

But I'm not, so its Nosler.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Lapua.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Hanco: Indeed here on the Big Game Rifles reloading site Nosler is my go to brand, and has been for 57 years now.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Depending on the rifle, I load Nosler mainly. Also Berger, Hornady, Sierra ,and some stuff from Barnes.
Posted By: NEBHUNTER Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Mostly Nosler some Sierra
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler
Hornady
Sierra
Posted By: JayJunem Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
In many of the places I looked, Partitions are more expensive than Berger hunting VLDs. Accubonds appear to be about equal. Keep in mind Bergers are boxes of 100 and Nosler are 50.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Hornady by far.

Some green boxes on the shelf with a few black ones, but red boxes dominate by an overwhelming margin.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler
Hornady
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Sierra, Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, and home made
Posted By: memtb Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Barnes.... and my own cast! memtb
Posted By: Yondering Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
I think it's silly to be stuck on any particular brand. It's just more Chevy vs Ford thinking.
Posted By: mart Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler Partitions for most, Woodleighs and Hawks for the odd stuff.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
When something new comes out I try it. Hammer bullets is most recent one. There is a new company I am waiting for them to start shipping. It is called Hollow cavity.

With that stated I would go with Barnes if limited.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Overwhelmingly Nosler nowadays.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Partition or BBC for hunting.

After that, I like Amax, Sierra, BT for practice.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Barnes. Nothing their line wont cover and cover better. Used to be they were short on varmint or practice bullets but not any more.
Posted By: 163bc Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler
Posted By: MZ5 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
I have more Nosler Custom Comps and RDFs on-hand than any other bullet. Lapua Scenars are next. For hunting, I have more Speers than everything else combined. I've had good results from Hornady, too, and Sierra, but what I have is what I have. I wish ATK hadn't totally destroyed Speer. frown
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
For deer hunting I have more Corelokts than anything else other than 35 cal. That's all Hornady.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler
Posted By: winchester70 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler, rifle

Speer, handgun
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Hornady (Interlocks)

Nosler Seconds
Posted By: southtexas Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Speer was my nostalgic favorite for decades. But I'm fed up with their pathetic attempts and stumbles, intro Deep Shocks, drop Deep Shocks, re-design Grand Slams, replace Hot Cores with Deep Curls, drop Deep Curls, bring back Hot Cores...what a joke
Posted By: muygrande1 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Barnes but I hate needing faster twist for some.
Posted By: FLNative Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
If I had to pick one, it'd be a coin flip between Nosler and Hornady. I like Nosler's variety of offerings better, but I like Hornady's pricing and 100/box availability better.

That said, in a glance at my bench, I see Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, Speer, and Barnes. I do a fair amount of load testing for my range time, try a new one every session, and I stick with two or three for each rifle, governed only by accuracy and consistency of POI. Whichever bullet that happens to be, is the one it is, and manufacturer doesn't matter to me. They all take deer and hogs well.
Posted By: shootem Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Nosler
Hornady

^^^^^^^^ Like the Accubonds in 7mm and .270 and the 7mm 120 BT, Interlocks in 6.5, .270, 7mm . Interlocks are hard to beat for the $$$$$ for deer hunting anyway.
Posted By: 700xcr Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Nosler
Barnes
Woodleigh
Hornady
Posted By: Leonten Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Regarding rifles the Gunsmith recommended Hornady, back in the '70s. But I hunt in the Condor zone which requires 100% lead free. So I switched and tried Nosler (E-Tip), Hornady (GMX). I finally settled on Barnes TSX & TTSX.

For handguns I stick with Speer.
Posted By: surehunsalot Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Hornady
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
Hornady occupies the most shelving space on my bench by a large margin.

Dan
Posted By: colodog Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/20/17
I'm glad I don't have to choose 1, no one brand makes all the bullets I like.
We live in the Golden age of reloading!
If I chose in order by volume it would be,
Nosler
Berger
Hornady
Swift
Barnes
Speer
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
Grew up in bend Oregon so lots of Noslers. Barnes is great too.

Two notable exceptions are the excellent 87 Gr Speer hot Core for the 250-3000 and the Speer 145 gr .284 BTSP.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
Nosler
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17

Lots of Hornady and Nosler on my shelves.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
I like Sierra's, mainly for the 243 85 grain HP, 130 grain 270's, 110 grains for the 6.8SPC, and 168 grain HP's for the 308. In the 223 and 22-250, I use mainly Hornady VMax's. I do use some Noslers for heavier bullets in the 243.
Posted By: handwerk Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
I load barnes TTSX's for all our rifles, 8 different calibers.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
These days, mostly Nosler, and most of those blems and overruns from SPS. Partitions priced within a few cents each of ordinary bullets are hard to pass up.

Hornady XTPs are my choice in handguns and for ML sabot loads, but the excellent job done by a Barnes T-EZ last season might sway me in that direction.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
Nosler.
Posted By: hanco Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
If you live in a lead free zone, do game wardens check your cartridges??
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Hornady by far.

Some green boxes on the shelf with a few black ones, but red boxes dominate by an overwhelming margin.

X2
Posted By: TATELAW Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
If I had to choose just one, probably Nosler.

The only problem would be my 22cal rifles. I like to use them for deer hunting. Nosler's only offerings in medium game 22cal bullets are the 60gr Partition and the 64gr BSB. I haven't been able to get decent accuracy with either. I use Hornady, Sierra, and Barnes in my 22cal rifles. I'd really hate to give up the Hornady 55 SP!
Posted By: gerry35 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
Nosler mostly but I like to try all sorts of other bullets in order to stay opened minded.
Posted By: cdparker Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
For the big and scary, I have found that Swift A-frames work well
Posted By: Trystan Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/21/17
Nosler
Barnes
Berger
Hornady
Sierra

If I had to choose it would be in that order

Trystan
Posted By: Guybo54 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
Speer Hot-Cors and Sierra ProHunters are my favorite bullets. I shoot the 120gr Hot-Cors in my 25.06 and bought about 600pcs before they stopped making them so I have a good inventory built up. My daughter shoots the Sierra 120gr PH in her .260 and has had excellent results with those. I also have some 120gr and 140gr hot-cors for the .260 but haven't tried those as of yet. I do have some Nosler BT's in the cabinet but the Speer/Sierra are my favorites.
Posted By: littlecmonkey Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
Sierra. Their bullets are still reasonably priced, perform well, and they don't mess with product lines the way all the rest of the manufacturers do.

If a toss up of a certain caliber in a certain weight bullet, I'll always opt for Sierra.
Posted By: HadsDad Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
I mostly use Speer Hot-Cors and Sierra Pro-Hunters. However of late I have been playing with Hornady Interlocks.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
My favorite bullets are Gnoahhh Brand. 30+ bullet molds in the drawer grant me a wide selection, as many as I want, whenever I want them, for about 1/10 the cost of "store boughts". Life is good. grin
Posted By: JohnChilds Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
Living in Oregon it's hard not to support a local family owned business, so it's Nosler for me.
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
Nosler for elk, Hornady Interlocks for everything deer-sized
Posted By: Arns9 Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/22/17
In order:

Sierra
Hornady
Nosler

Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/23/17
I have no brand loyalty. I try to pick the brand that has the best overall performance, accuracy, real, not advertised BC, and terminal effects, at the best price point. My favorites are the Berger hunting VLDs, but they are so danged expensive and there are many that are comparing quite favorably with them now. Lately, I've been shooting Amaxes that I bought on closeout when the ELDS came out, and they do very well, as do the ELDs. The Nosler RDFs have my eye too. From what folks are saying, about the RDFs, Nosler finally realized folks aren't going to just willingly accept advertised BCs anymore.

John
Posted By: Bbear Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/23/17
Nosler
Sierra for some.

Handguns = Speer
Posted By: efw Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/23/17
For years I've been a devoted Hornady fan but lately I've increasingly getting to Nosler and a bit with Barnes.

Ballistic Tips getting tougher has been a boon for Nosler if my component shelf is any indication.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Your bullet Brand - 01/26/17
Rifle:

Nosler .25 and up.
Sierra .25 and down.

Handgun:

Whatever is available.
© 24hourcampfire