Home
Posted By: country_20boy neck scratching question - 02/23/17
My RCBS sizing die began leaving scratches all around the neck of the brass this week. Not deep, but they look bad. Is it safe to shoot if I continue to use?

I took the die apart and cleaned it good, but that didn't help. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a rough spot in the in the neck of the die. Send it in t RCBS they will polish it back to smooth or replace it.
Posted By: mathman Re: neck scratching question - 02/23/17
Did you size any nickle brass, or maybe a case with some embedded grit?

Home remedy I've used: Wrap an appropriately sized bore brush with steel wool, load it with JB bore compound, put it in a drill and give the die a polish.
I used two different sets of RCBS dies, both of which I cleaned before using. Both scratched new brass pretty good, and both sets were returned to the store an replaced with Redding dies.
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Sounds like a rough spot in the in the neck of the die. Send it in t RCBS they will polish it back to smooth or replace it.

Thanks. I emailed RCBS customer service about 20 mins ago. Will see what they say.
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
I used two different sets of RCBS dies, both of which I cleaned before using. Both scratched new brass pretty good, and both sets were returned to the store an replaced with Redding dies.

That sucks. This one was fine for the last 2 yrs. I bought used, so no telling what it's been through.
Posted By: rootie3 Re: neck scratching question - 02/23/17
All the more reason to polish the neck area as recommened.

Larry
Originally Posted by rootie3
All the more reason to polish the neck area as recommened.

Larry

And who recommends polishing the neck area. Please provide a link or other information.
Posted By: 805 Re: neck scratching question - 02/24/17
Very easy to disassemble the die and polish the neck area. I've done it to many RCBS dies. Simple fix. While you're at it polish the expander also.
Originally Posted by mathman
Did you size any nickle brass, or maybe a case with some embedded grit?

Home remedy I've used: Wrap an appropriately sized bore brush with steel wool, load it with JB bore compound, put it in a drill and give the die a polish.

Ditto

Probably some dirt or ? on cases when sized.
I have also used 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped on a dowel and a drill.Doesn't take much as you are taking off the scatch burrs above the surface of the die
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Originally Posted by magshooter1

Thanks. I emailed RCBS customer service about 20 mins ago. Will see what they say.

As a follow up, RCBS replied to my email in less than 3 hours and said send it in and we'll polish free of charge. Got to love that customer service.
Posted By: 805 Re: neck scratching question - 02/24/17
I'd save myself the money/time of shipping them and do it myself in about 10 minutes.
© 24hourcampfire