Home
Posted By: Pashooter 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 03/16/17
I just picked up a Pro Hunter BBL 28" any thoughts on powder to get the most out of the extra length. I have not loaded for this round before so any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be using it for whitetail 300yds or under.
Posted By: mathman Re: 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 03/16/17
Whatever does best in the typical lengths will do best in your barrel. Besides, 300 yards and under is a chip shot for a short barreled 7mm08 on deer.
Nosler's test barrel was 26", Big Game gave them the best velocity.

It's all I use in 3 7mm-08s.

P
Thanks any thoughts on bullets for whitetails.
Posted By: mathman Re: 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 03/16/17
The 139 grain Interlock, plain non-SST version, knocks the hell out of them.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 03/16/17
Big Game and the Nosler 120gr ballistic tip, a Killin combo
I'll second gemby58. Big Game or Varget and the 120NBT have killed lots of deer and hogs for me.
I would look at Reloder 16 and 17 with a 140 gr bullet of your choice.
Originally Posted by gemby58
Big Game and the Nosler 120gr ballistic tip, a Killin combo

All you need.

[Linked Image]

P
Pashooter - for real? A 28inch barrel? Would think it a bit cumbersome. Homesteader
Yes 28" but it's a Encore so not cumbersome at all. Thanks to all for the input. I will be trying out some of the suggested loads this week.I just picked up some Big Game will be making up loads this evening.
Originally Posted by Pashooter
Yes 28" but it's a Encore so not cumbersome at all. Thanks to all for the input. I will be trying out some of the suggested loads this week.I just picked up some Big Game will be making up loads this evening.

If you want to use a 140 Partition, the Nosler max of 47.5 grains (work up to it) of Big Game with a WLRM might be the ticket.

[Linked Image]

Keep us posted with your results.

P
You've been doing some good shooting, Pharmseller!
Do not overlook h380 powder. Especially with the 120 gr bullets. The 120gr barnes ttsx is trouble for any game on this continent.
I hit the range today with a bunch of 150 ELDX loads to try. The only one of note came in at .588, but it was windy as heck.

[Linked Image]

Hunter powder is your friend with the 150.

P
Posted By: 243Win Re: 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 03/30/17
Big Game is very temp sensitive if you use any sort of a ballistic reticle. I quit using it in my 7-08 for that reason. I developed my load in spring at temps around +15c
and things were great, then shot it before a hunting trip in the fall when temps were below 0 and I lost 120 fps. That is fine if you use a straight duplex reticle and only shoot out to 200 yards.
Originally Posted by 243Win
Big Game is very temp sensitive if you use any sort of a ballistic reticle. I quit using it in my 7-08 for that reason. I developed my load in spring at temps around +15c
and things were great, then shot it before a hunting trip in the fall when temps were below 0 and I lost 120 fps. That is fine if you use a straight duplex reticle and only shoot out to 200 yards.

Such has not been my experience.

Temperature stability is one reason I selected BG.

P
Originally Posted by mathman
The 139 grain Interlock, plain non-SST version, knocks the hell out of them.

Yep.

I'd also shorten the barrel several inches, but that's just my 2 cents.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 03/31/17
28" barrel on an Encore is equivalent to 24" on a bolt action. Never heard that a 24" barrel on a bolt is too long.
Taz,

I haven't handled an Encore. Trimming the barrel might mess up the balance. That said, I have hunted deer in woods and found a short rifle to be advantage, and the OP is listed in Pennsylvania.
Posted By: taz4570 Re: 7mm08 loads for a 28" BBL. - 04/01/17
Yep, and the Encore with a long barrel is still shorter than most bolt actions.
© 24hourcampfire