Home
Posted By: Odessa 225 Winchester whitetail bullet - 11/01/17
I've owned a M70 chambered in 225 WIN for years; only shot it with the W-W factory 55 grain PSP load and my handload using the Hornady 50 grain V-Max - both sub MOA loads. I have decided to give it a try on neck shooting small whitetail does, probably out to 100-150 yards. I don't think the jackets in the two varmint bullets will hold up reliably so I was looking at the 55 grain GMX and TSX bullets. However I'm not sure that the solid copper bullets longer bearing surface will work with the 1 in 14 twist. Anyone tried this or have another idea? This could just be a bad idea.
First thing: It's not the bearing surface length that matters, it's the whole length of the bullet.

Now that that's off my chest grin ...

Several people with way more experience than I have in this area say the 55 grain Hornady is a killer.
The 55gr ttsx requires a 1-9 or better, accotding to Barnes. They make a 45gr tsx.

The Sierra 63gr semi-pointed seems to be popular for slow-twist guns and the 55gr Hornady mentioned above (the only one I've actually witnessed in action) is too.

Check the websites to verify the twist required before you buy, or call, or use the contact form most sites have.
FWIW. The 63gr Sierra is the most accurate bullet in my M70, 225win. I haven’t used it personally on deer, but I read good things about it on this forum.

I tried the 64 gr Win PP, and the groups were 4-5 inches.
Thanks for the input gents. Mathman and Pappy, the 55 Hornady being referred to - is that the GMX or another 55 grain Hornady?
52 grain sierra matchkings work right behind the shoulder out of my swift. I can’t imagine you’d have different results with a .225.
Originally Posted by Odessa
Thanks for the input gents. Mathman and Pappy, the 55 Hornady being referred to - is that the GMX or another 55 grain Hornady?

The #2265 SP, specifically, without cannelure, and definitely not the SX!
I would think that anything between 55-63 would do the job.

I loaded some 60 grain partitions for the da.and they did a darn good job on several deer.

Think of it as a 22-250 with a rim.
Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire