Home
Posted By: NMScout308 Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I’ve said it to myself 5000 times I’ve got to get a better hand primer. Years ago I got started hand loading with a basic Rockchucker kit including RCBS hand primer/hair puller. I’ve been fighting the damn thing since I got it. Anyone who’s used one will know what I mean. What’s a good replacement?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I have used a Lee Auto prime for a long time.
It aluminum, and the link wore to the point it
wouldn't work right. I think I flipped it, and it's
still chugging along. I think RCBS makes one that
uses press shell holders and is steel. That's where
I would look today if buying. If it's not too heavy.
I don't think I would like the bench models.
I like to sit outside or do something else while priming,
the hand tool makes that easy.
Posted By: labarr Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Scout,

I have used about 7 or 8 different kinds, but the one I use today is the old RCBS dedicated primer press. These things seat to a depth, not to a "feel" or pressure. They work exactly the same every time, and its easy to tell if the pockets are getting loose. I find the groups are actually a little smaller, I think because of uniform anvil preload. They operate by a cam. Problem: Finding one. I have two, and am not selling. One is for large primers, the other for small. I think they became too expensive or something, and were discontinued. Try eBay or maybe somebody on the 'Fire?

Second choice: The handheld units, though they are a big step down from the precision of the fixed press.

I think the key is to use something that involves seating to a dimension, not a force. You can stop if something is wrong.

Good luck.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I like the old Lee hand primers, the one with the round tray. I tried the square tray one but did not like it. They are making a newer triangle shaped one but I have not tried it. I did not like the RCBS one that I tried that a friend had. I think they make more than one model and others might be better. You can still get the Lee round tray on ebay, as they show pretty regular. miles
Posted By: shawlerbrook Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
IMHO the best for me is the RCBS Bench Priming Tool.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Used the old Lee for years, still have two and lots of shellholders. Now I use the RCBS Universal one and it works well and is less likely to futz up. It can get a bit tiring if the pockets are tight and your hands are old, so a bench tool may be in my future.
Posted By: Axtell Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Went through several Lee's, bought the latest and it won't digest large primers at all and is so so with small primers.

RCBS was not too user friendly and eventually wore out.

Tried the new Lyman and it didn't work at all, they replaced it and the second one ....same as the first would not seat primer deep enough.

Ended up with a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer and would highly recommend it.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I don't know what your budget is, but this is what I use; buy once, cry once.

21st Century Shooting
Posted By: milespatton Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Do you have to put the primers in the tool one at a time? If not, how does it work? miles
Posted By: lotech Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I've tried the cheaper ones and finally got a 21st Century. Well made, no plastic, and worth the money, particularly when you consider how much you use a priming tool. It's one-at-a-time, but it's not much slower than using one with a primer magazine.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Originally Posted by Axtell
Went through several Lee's, bought the latest and it won't digest large primers at all and is so so with small primers.

RCBS was not too user friendly and eventually wore out.

Tried the new Lyman and it didn't work at all, they replaced it and the second one ....same as the first would not seat primer deep enough.

Ended up with a Frankfort Arsenal hand primer and would highly recommend it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...um-series-perfect-seat-hand-priming-tool

Same here Frankfort Arsenal. Adjustable seating depth. Comes with shell holders, you don't have to buy them separate. All in a nice case. Have a Lee and have used it for years but recently got this and like it a lot. Especially with Hornady brass of late. Very tight primer pockets.
Posted By: Owl Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Originally Posted by milespatton
Do you have to put the primers in the tool one at a time? If not, how does it work? miles

Link to mfg video
Posted By: roundoak Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Lee Hand Primer (round tray) is just like the energizer bunny, just keeps on going.

[Linked Image]

My first hand primer was from a Lee Precision kit for the 22-250. I used it for several years and rebuilt it once and retired it when I got the above primer with a tray primer feed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I prime cases for my, ahem, gilt edge accurate 22-250 I use a Lee Loader die and arbor press.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
Owl, That one at a time primer, would be a pain in the butt, when I am loading 400 to 500 rnds at a time, in 1 day. there are many ways to make that job easier.and faster. wonder how many primers are on the floor were he reloads. Rio7
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I’ve got 2 RCBS hand priming tools. One uses standard shell holders . The other universal jaws. I’m about to pull the trigger on a Forster bench model. A friend has one and it’s the cats meow. Hasbeen
Posted By: Dantheman Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I've always used a Hornady hand primer. Mainly because I could use the same shell holder as my press.

Dan
Posted By: 3584ELK Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I bought an RCBS primer thinking it had to be better than the Lee- WRONG. The RCBS is clunky, difficult to load, and expensive for what you get.
Posted By: lotech Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I bought two of the RCBS Universals. Neither would fully seat a primer consistently and both tools seemed to take more muscle than other priming tools I had used. The first RCBS that I had was the one that used regular shell holders. While it was a little trouble to change everything over, it was a much better tool than the Universals I returned.
Posted By: prose Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I have the old RCBS, RCBS Universal, Old Lee, New Lee, and the Frankford Arsenal. Of these, the Frankford is a substantially more heavy duty and the only one I would recommend as quality reloading equipment. It is heavy though. It is also very precise and rivals bench mounted systems for consistency.
Posted By: grovey Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
K&M or 21st century are top of the heap.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I have an old Lee and I've primed thousands of cases with it. I like it. I have a RCBS and I think it is a pain in the democrat
Posted By: J23 Re: Good hand primer - 09/26/18
I have used the old Lee Auto Prime with the round tray for decades. I hear their new and improved Auto Prime with the square tray sucks. Go figure.

I'm not sure what I'll use when my current Auto Prime takes a schitt. Their newest one, I think it's called the XR, with the triangular tray, looks pretty gimmicky.

I'll probably look to Sinclair or the one from 21st Century.
Posted By: NMScout308 Re: Good hand primer - 09/27/18
Thanks for the replies. I’ll do a little research, 21st century looks very nice but then all the shell holders I’ll need will add a significant amount to the cost. Frankford comes with the shell holders and has the captured feed. Both have adjustable seating depth. How do the 21st century do with small primers?
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Good hand primer - 09/27/18
I've been through a couple Lee units over the years. The mechanical advantage sucks. Got a batch of Remington primers that ran big (tight) and broke the last one. Been running the RCBS a few years now. That Frankford jobbie looks pretty good. Not terrible for price either.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Good hand primer - 09/27/18
Originally Posted by NMScout308
Thanks for the replies. I’ll do a little research, 21st century looks very nice but then all the shell holders I’ll need will add a significant amount to the cost. Frankford comes with the shell holders and has the captured feed. Both have adjustable seating depth. How do the 21st century do with small primers?

I've only loaded large rifle primers with my 21st Century. Hopefully someone else can answer.
Posted By: lightman Re: Good hand primer - 09/27/18
After wearing out several Lee tools and trying a few others that I did not like I bought a Sinclair. Its expensive but very well built. I liked it enough to buy a second one. I keep them set up in the 2 calibers that I load the most.
Posted By: lotech Re: Good hand primer - 09/27/18
The 21st century works fine with small primers as well as large.
Posted By: hanco Re: Good hand primer - 09/28/18
I have a couple RCBS hand primers. I like them.
© 24hourcampfire