Home
Posted By: Otter6 Old leaded Barnes. - 09/22/19
I have been storing one old Barnes original .30 165 grain Spitzer for a good many years. Bought them to try in the 30/06. Accuracy wasn't stellar. I will say that this one landed precisely where the rig was zeroed with Partitions. Gave some to a friend to try. At any rate there was one left . Caught it in jug number 4 at 100 yards. The launching device was a T3 300 WSM. 66.6 grains of Imr 4831. It lost a bunch of weight,but what a frontal area! No doubt the reason jug #4 stopped it. Jugs 1 + 2 were pretty much obliterated. Ought to knock the ever loving chit out of deer size critters.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
Who cares if it lost a bunch of weight, I bet it'd kill the schit out of whatever was on the receiving end!
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
Agreed. I wish I had a box of them now.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
...Something that those of us who used them 50-ish years ago learned first hand.

I remember our LGS had a couple shelves full of Barnes, seemingly perpetually on closeout/discount. My Old Man bought us heavies to use in his '06 and my Krag.
Perfect!
Posted By: hanco Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
I had a bunch of them, 200 and 300 grain .333 bullets when I had a .333 OKH belted. They killed what they hit.
Posted By: TXLoader Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
I used the 6mm 115 gr Originals nearly exclusively for my 6mm Remington for a while. They never failed to put a deer down, and could penetrate like nothing else I've tried. It made me a fan of heavy-for-caliber bullets.

Wish they'd bring them back. I sequestered a couple of boxes when they were being clearanced by everyone, and squirreled them away for a time when I'm feeling a bit nostalgic...
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
Yeah I'd take a few boxes of assorted flavors too.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/23/19
I always liked them and if they were bonded they would give the Woodleighs a run for the money, but they do well without bonding. On some the thick jacket left a small opening at the tip. I hollow pointed some of these and they were like grenades on deer. They also worked well in double rifles which can be hard to regulate with modern bullets.
Posted By: Hesp Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/26/19
I have the better part of a box of these in 6.5 130gr if any one is interested?
Posted By: Otter6 Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/26/19
No 6.5, but some .277 or .30 cal would work.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Old leaded Barnes. - 09/26/19
I have a partial box of 180gr .277s out in the shop. Need to shoot something with them I guess. Have some 130 .277s and 250 and 300gr .358s too. The 250gr .358s killed the heck out of the one big bull caribou I shot with one.
© 24hourcampfire