Home
I have just purchased a 222 and need to load.
I have these powders
Win 748, 3031, H335, 2230c, 4895
I have to check but think maybe some h322 left
Then I have others that are probably to slow like 4831,3100,19,retumbo.
Would any of these be a good start or do I need to add to my large powder keg?
Posted By: mart Re: 222 Remington Varmint Special - 10/05/23
I’d look for some 4198. 4198 and the 222 were made for each other.
When I got my first.222 I started with 4198 because of all I had read about the.222. It did well but I tried H322 and got even better results. For .222s that I’ve bought later I started off using H322 and it’s become my go to powder.
I load 748 and Benchmark in my target/varmint 222 and 2230(52gr Speer) in my 222 coyote hunting rifles. Years ago I shot a lot of 3031. I did have a load for my Model 70 222 with 4895 and 52gr(Speer) bullets for coyotes
748 and 4895 are your huckleberries....
4198, 3031, & 748 were the best with 50s to 53s in the 222s I've loaded for, but it's been a few years. Some of the newer powders may be as good.
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'll add H322 to the list

Although my 222 is a 20 caliber Duece & Pac Nor barrel

20-222.....same route as the 20-223........20 Practical

Redding bushing dies......ready set go

Have some H4198 iffin ya ever pass through rural Utah

pic....Duece 20

Linky to 222 info

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/competition-cartridges/

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
So.......

the ole Rem 700......12 or 14 twist ???????
I'm not sure about his, but every one I've seen was 1 in 14

My vintage sporter in .222 is 1 in 14
I'm not sure about his, but every one I've seen was 1 in 14

My vintage sporter in .222 is 1 in 14

So then

53 V max won't fly..........

My 20-222 is a 9 twist & 40 V's

Fuggin' p/dogs hate it..........
Originally Posted by tikkanut
So.......

I dont know yet. I haven’t had a chance to check.
Went through the cabinet today. I have 6lbs of 748 and 5 of 4895.
I must have used up the last of h322and 4198.

I'll add H322 to the list

Although my 222 is a 20 caliber Duece & Pac Nor barrel

20-222.....same route as the 20-223........20 Practical

Redding bushing dies......ready set go

Have some H4198 iffin ya ever pass through rural Utah

pic....Duece 20

Linky to 222 info

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/competition-cartridges/

I will be in Wyo the week after next. Close to Evanston well a few hours😁
Not one I've seen mentioned yet, but CFE BLK shoots very well in my 222, if you happen to have any of that on hand.
So then

I dunno but I shoot 55 Vmax out of my 14 twist all the time...
N133 and don't look back.
So.......

1'14
So then

53s won't fly.

55s do because they are flat based and hence not as long or as slippery.
Originally Posted by HawkI
So then

53s won't fly.

55s do because they are flat based and hence not as long or as slippery.

OK gotcha..never shot the 53 Vmax in anything.
The .222 needs an 11 twist barrel to fully stabilize and get maximum bc from the 53 Vmax. And no one makes an 11 twist, so you have to go 10 twist as the next best option if you want to use the 53 Vmax.
I’ve come to focus on 40 grain, tipped bullets. Sierra’s Blitzking, Nosler B/tip and Hornady Vmax have all done well for me, with different rifles preferring one or the other.
I found 4198 and have a bunch 50gr bullets and a few 52 & 53gr match bullets. I should be good to start.
50 gr. Vmax or Varmagedden with either I 4198 or Reloader 10X! TNT's shoot nice too!

Hip
Played with some Hornady 53 match I had laying around
1/2-3/4” groups with a old Tasco that came on the rifle. 3x9 tracked pretty good although I couldn’t get the crosshairs crisp. Used Win 748 loads were in the 2800 fps according to my graph.
It was nice to shoot after the 338wm, but hey the 338 was putting 5 in under a inch.
748 seems a bit slow but sure comes recommended by quite a few.
I’ve had good luck with TAC and 40vmax and BLC2 with 50’s. But it’s a 222…. It should shoot with about any appropriate powder. Last time I shot my varmint special in 222 it put 10 TNT’s into one large hole about the size of a dime.
Been shooting a 222 pretty much forever, never saw the fascination with 4198.
it works but I have always found powders that work better. last 20 years my favorite has been VVN130 with 40-50gr tipped bullets
best accuracy and velocity in several rifles
I have mostly used 4198, but tried others usually came back to it. In my part of the country odd ball stuff is usually not available. I don't remeber the last time I saw VN powders in this area, certainly they are not common.. I want something I can purchase and does a good job. 4198 and several others can be found when any powder is available.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have mostly used 4198, but tried others usually came back to it. In my part of the country odd ball stuff is usually not available. I don't remeber the last time I saw VN powders in this area, certainly they are not common.. I want something I can purchase and does a good job. 4198 and several others can be found when any powder is available.

Dont know what part of Wyoming you live in but I saw VihtaVuori powders at Sportsworld in Evanston while I was antelope hunting less than a month ago
H335 works fine. All the BS about temperature sensitivity is inconsequential. I have shot almost a zillion rounds with H335 with no adverse affects..
Got a couple 222 rifles, A buddy got some Berger 35 grain bullets, they shot very well for him, so I tried them in the 222s and 218 Bee rifles I have and they shoot well in them with 4227 and 4198. Hornady now makes 35s also. One advantage of the 35 grain is they blow up on a soda can full of water, put fragment holes in the off side. So in a confined space or around livestock it gives you a bullet that detonates on impact and does not fly off into the next county, if you need such performance.
338reddog: Start with that H322 (with 50, 52 & 53 grain bullets - Bergers if possible)!
Good things WILL happen. Been there - done that.
Long live "The Deuce".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
338reddog: Start with that H322 (with 50, 52 & 53 grain bullets - Bergers if possible)!
Good things WILL happen. Been there - done that.
Long live "The Deuce".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
That H-322 disappeared lol, I have H335, 4198,4895,748,3031,2230-c and a bunch of slower powders. Bullets in 40-53 but mostly 50 grainers abound. 55 gr saved for 223.
I have a bunch of components to start with. Now need to put a better scope on.
Thanks for the info
My .222 loves 2200 powder and 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.
My favorite cartridge and Mike Walkers true claim to fame, the miniature 30-06. I shoot three rifles in the triple deuce, a Walker built 40X, a pre- Sako Tikka LSA and a sweet early 50’s Rem model 222 ( how clever ). I’ve shot everything I could get years ago with two best powders being RE7 and 4198 best performers. Then about 18 years ago, as I recall I tried AA 2015 and it’s the best medicine by far. Flattened ball, doesn’t need mag primers and just loads like all balls. Every rifle shoots it very very well and vel spreads are almost negligee. Try and you’ll be sold

BTW 2015 is one of those powders that seems to be very flexible kind of like the old discontinued H450.

Rick
It has been a while since I used it, but I remember 2015 being a stick powder with very small and short kernels.
I use 22 1/2 grs of 2015--40gr Nosler--Rem 7 1/2 primer--5 shots will cover a dime all day at a 100yds. in my old Sako L 461.
Originally Posted by mathman
It has been a while since I used it, but I remember 2015 being a stick powder with very small and short kernels.

You’re right I’m wrong. But it’s a very small stick that meters as easily as balls. My most accurate load is 23.5 grs and it’s a full case pretty much 100% density. Anytime you can find a full case that works I’ve always found good success with little vel spread. Haven’t loaded any in a while so I guess I spaced out on this powder’s physical characteristics

Rick
Originally Posted by Woodpecker
My favorite cartridge and Mike Walkers true claim to fame, the miniature 30-06. I shoot three rifles in the triple deuce, a Walker built 40X, a pre- Sako Tikka LSA and a sweet early 50’s Rem model 222 ( how clever ). I’ve shot everything I could get years ago with two best powders being RE7 and 4198 best performers. Then about 18 years ago, as I recall I tried AA 2015 and it’s the best medicine by far. Flattened ball, doesn’t need mag primers and just loads like all balls. Every rifle shoots it very very well and vel spreads are almost negligee. Try and you’ll be sold

BTW 2015 is one of those powders that seems to be very flexible kind of like the old discontinued H450.

Rick

something to consider here besides what was mentioned by mathman
18 years ago the 2015 you used was either made in Israel or the Czech Republic, for the last several years it has been made in Canada. they don't all work the same from my experience
Originally Posted by boatanchor
18 years ago the 2015 you used was either made in Israel or the Czech Republic, for the last several years it has been made in Canada. they don't all work the same from my experience

Correct, the early 90’s 2015BR was made in Israel, then around 2000 it moved to Czech Republic and around 2008 when Western bought them out it moved to Canada and they dropped the BR from the name. Always has been an extruded powder that meters like ball, was also used to blend LT32 since they were made on the same machine in Canada.
BLC(2) and Sierra 52gr shot amazing in my old BSA HB
All I shoot in .222 are 50-grain V-Max and 50-grain Ballistic Tip. For accuracy, I've had good luck with H322, H4198, and sometimes with X-Terminator (but it doesn't seem to be too consistent...could be the operator though). The best accuracy I've had so far is LT-32. There are probably at least a dozen powders that'll work great but I was just never ambitious enough to find out what they all are.

Rick

Rick

I understand that but I’ve been through a lot of 2015 since then and long after it was made in Israel. Plus I blend my powder from batch to batch and I’m still printing as well with 23.0 - 23.5 grs.

Rick
I have a nice little Zastava barrel and action set in an American Black Walnut stock that shoots 40gn Varmageddons like they were made for each other. I only use CCI small rifle BR primers, and 4198. Great combination.
Shot some very tight little groups with my Howa Mini last weekend. 20.0gr of IMR4198 & 50gr VMax's in Starline brass using Federal 205M primers. Smoking right along at 3300fps. I think the Starline brass is a little tight on volume compared to Win or Rem brass.
if you can find it imr 4198 is awesome. a pound goes quite a ways
I found a couple of pounds of 4198 and he has a 8 pounder still on the shelves.
I probably need to order some brass. I only have about 100 pieces of older Remington unfired left. I gave all my fired in a trade.
Originally Posted by 338reddog
I probably need to order some brass. I only have about 100 pieces of older Remington unfired left. I gave all my fired in a trade.

If you aren't real picky on brands, PPU has pretty readily available over the past several years. I'm not making up match grade loads or anything, but it works fine for me in the 222.
Lots of good triple deuce info! I use both H and I 4198 with 50 grainers, usually hornady SX or Sierra Blitz. They do so good in my Tikka hunter, I haven’t had reason to try anything else. Someday I’ll get around to trying other powders and 40 grain bullets, but a pound of powder goes a long way throwing 19.5-20 grains per charge.

I've had NO problems necking down range picked up 223 brass to 222 Rem. Do it for friends who have 222s. Just lube the brass and I use a 222 die, to neck it down.... RCBS 222 dies. Neck it down, with one full turn from full length sizing, then take it out and rotate it half a turn and then turn the ram all the way down and it comes out just fine for these guys...

YMMV, but seems to do the trick... works on new brass also...

I do anneal the brass first, whether new or range pickup.
Im a little worried of mixed head stamp that say .223 and end up being a .222. Not so much for my use but other family members when Im gone.
I have these powders

I now use H322 but for years used a case full 0f IMR 4895. Both very accurate with 50 and 55 grain spitzers.
Back in the day Remington used IMR4895 for testing the 40X in 222 Rem. 23.5 grains with a 52 grain Remington bullet.
I use RL7 for 223 and 222 light bullet loads.
219Wasp: I got in on the last several years of the 22 caliber Remington 52 grain bullets. They were exceptionally accurate in many Varminters I tried them in. But back then I was not as "ricochet aware" as I probably should have been.
I even saw them used at Bench Rest Matches when the 222 Remington and some derivatives were VERY popular in that discipline.
Do you know if Remington made them or were they contracted to some custom bullet maker?
Anyone have any memories or experiences with these Remington 52 grainers?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by shrapnel
H335 works fine. All the BS about temperature sensitivity is inconsequential. I have shot almost a zillion rounds with H335 with no adverse affects..
We have had good results with H335 as well. My only complaint about H335 is it’s a little dirty.
Stopped using the 52 HPBT Sierra's because although they were very accurate, the 50 grain plastic tipped BlitzKings had less wind drift when shooting near 300 yards in the .222. Plugging in the figures for the 53 grain VMax in a 10 twist barrel, they have about 2.5 inches less (10 mile per hour cross-wind) wind drift at 300 yards than most other 50 grain plastic tipped bullets in a 14 twist .222.
I have these powders
322, RL10x and AA2015 are all in the same burn rate range if you can find any of them.

kwg
When I got my first 222, I started load work with 4198 but eventually got better results with H322. For my other 222 rifles I started right off the bat with H322. I’ve moved to 40 gr tipped bullets, either Blitzking, Ballistic Tips or Vmax versus the traditional 50 gr bullets.
H322 meters beautifully as well.
The problem with H322 is finding it.........
© 24hourcampfire