Home
Posted By: LBP Staball Match - 04/07/24
Has anyone tried the new Staball Match with heavy bullets in .223? The data looks interesting and it’s supposed to be temperature insensitive.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Staball Match - 04/07/24
Following.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Staball Match - 04/07/24
Buddy runs it with 69 Sierra TMK’s in his .223 AI.
I’ve not been with him when he’s shot it, but he claims it’s an absolute laser.

He’s never lied about anything else…..
Posted By: LBP Re: Staball Match - 04/08/24
How was his velocities?
Posted By: DonFischer Re: Staball Match - 04/08/24
Saw my first can of Staball powder a week or so ago. Don't generally go trying out new powders, have several old ones that work for me. But can't find any old ones I can afford! So for about $38 I got a pound of Staball 6.5. Tried it in my new 260 rem. Mod 700 with 22" lilja barrel. 140gr Speer Hot Cores today shot 3/4" five shot group at 100yds. 4 shots went into 1/2" and three made a tiny little clover leaf! Problem is that was the only can of Staball I've ever seen! See it again and it will probably be $60, out of my reach. Gonna try for 50 rds of my 260 and use it just for hunting big game!
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Staball Match - 04/08/24
I haven't bought any of the Staball Match yet but the 6.5 is what I use in 22/250 with 52/53 gr Hornady and Nosler polymer tipped bullets. I prefer it over 4064, Varget, BL(C)-2, and any factory ammo I've tried. This is from a Savage Axis with 1:12" twist and a Tikka with 1:8" barrel. A Remington 700 with 1:14" twist hates the polymer bullets no matter what propels them.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Staball Match - 04/08/24
I haven’t used it a bunch, yet, but so far I’m seeing good accuracy with 73gr ELDM and 77gr TMK bullets in the .223 with StaBALL Match powder.

From what I remember, the ES and SD numbers were good, too. I’d have to check my notes for the particulars, though.
Posted By: LBP Re: Staball Match - 04/09/24
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I haven’t used it a bunch, yet, but so far I’m seeing good accuracy with 73gr ELDM and 77gr TMK bullets in the .223 with StaBALL Match powder.

From what I remember, the ES and SD numbers were good, too. I’d have to check my notes for the particulars, though.
I’m interested to know the details especially velocities, ES and SD!
Posted By: Potsy Re: Staball Match - 04/09/24
Originally Posted by LBP
How was his velocities?

I’ll check with him.
Posted By: Hudge Re: Staball Match - 04/09/24
I bought some back before Christmas, as it was the only can at SW. it has since sat with all my other powders gathering dust. I went to pick up another pound recently and saw the price had jumped $18 a pound, so it stayed on the store shelf.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Staball Match - 04/10/24
Saw some today at our local BiMart stores here in Oregon...

49.95 for a pound of it...

Hodgdon is selling it at Drug Dealer Bargain Pricing now like some of the IMR and Hornady powder lines.

Alliant is also selling powder at Drug Dealer Pricing.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Staball Match - 04/10/24
Originally Posted by Seafire
Saw some today at our local BiMart stores here in Oregon...

49.95 for a pound of it...

Hodgdon is selling it at Drug Dealer Bargain Pricing now like some of the IMR and Hornady powder lines.

Alliant is also selling powder at Drug Dealer Pricing.

I agree. I was at Scheels the other day, and they had some StaBall Match powder. I got excited until I saw the price tag!!! For fu cks sake, why is it so expensive compared to their other line of powders??? StaBall 6.5 is cheap by comparison.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Staball Match - 04/11/24
Guess it finally got discovered.

Just like when RL 26 came out, and other powders were $30 a pound, I was buying plenty of RL 26 at $20 to $22 a pound at Sportman's Warehouse. Bought a pound every time I went in there or BiMart locally. That is why I still have so much of it left.

Once RL 26 got discovered, its always been pretty much sold out everywhere.

Guess Stabil is going to be pretty much the same thing... with big prices no less.
Posted By: LBP Re: Staball Match - 04/15/24
It looks like a good fit for heavy bullets in .223, I think I’ll try a pound.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Staball Match - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska

I’m interested to know the details especially velocities, ES and SD!
Sorry for the late reply.

It looks like I have only tried StaBALL Match out of my Christensen MPP, with 10.5" barrel, so far.

With the 73gr ELD my numbers were:
23.5gr gave 2234fps an ES of 52fps.
24.0gr provided 2285fps, with an ES of 44fps.

With the 77gr TMK:
23.5gr was 2220fps and 26fps ES.
24.0gr generated 2271fps with an ES of 32fps.

By way of comparison, a previously worked up load 23gr of TAC gave me a velocity of 2275fps, with the 73gr ELD, and provided an ES of 69fps.

All of these numbers came from my Garmin Xero, with 5-shot groups, all shot on the same day.
Posted By: LBP Re: Staball Match - 04/20/24
Thanks Dan
© 24hourcampfire