Home
I am perusing my local sport/pawn shop yesterday when out of pawn comes a minty looking Tasco 6x24 power variable scope.
It had been on a Rifle but the proprietor prefers to sell the scopes and Rifles seperately.
So the scope was removed and set inside its original box (marked $86.95).
The scope had Weaver rings and bases with it and a set of Butler Creek flip up, see through, lense caps.
My main man said he would sell the whole shebang to me, for $40.00 cash.
I burped that up rather quickly, after, inspecting the scope.
I mean what can you do to inspect a used scope.
I took it outside and got my huge Dog-Gone-Good "X" type sandbag out of the VarmintMobile and set it on the hood.
I clamped the scope in the bag as tight as I could then I checked the scope for parallax adjustment, elevation and windage movement, focus and also gave it an intensive all over look see.
It seemed to pass all the casual tests - and I bought it.
Now this evening after returning from a short Varmint Hunt I mounted the scope on a newish (new to me but slightly used) Remington 700 VS in 220 Swift.
I made up some ammunition for the new to me Swift using 52 gr. Sierra bullets, IMR 4064 powder, Federal Match primers and W-W brass.
Soon I will take the newish Swift and the newsih scope to the range, the next wind break I get.
I hate to try and "test" 2 (two) things on a Rifle at once - in this case I am actually testing 3 (three) things. The Rifle, the scope and fresh handloads.
Wish me luck in that endeavor.
This is actually the third Tasco 6x24 scope I now own. I have had two of them for about three years now and they all have the Du-Plex with mil-dot type reticles.
The other two Tasco 6x24's have worked rather well for me. They hold P.O.I. and are rather clear of image up to about 21 - 22 power then they start to gray-up or dim slightly.
I am just testing this new Swift Rifle - if it shows any promise accuracy wise, I will keep it and put a high quality scope on it soon as I can afford one.
And "affordability" is why this $40.00 Tasco, rings, bases and lense covers followed me home.
The price of Leupold scopes anymore is getting on my nerves.
The Leupold scope I want for this Remington 700 VS in 220 Swift (should I decide to keep it) will cost me more than what the Rifle did.
If the Swift shoots these test loads under .900" (5 shot at 100 yard groups) I will probably keep it and get serious about it.
My next Gunshow is coming up in Missoula in 3 weeks or so.
So the Swift has three weeks to impress me somehow.
I have to laugh at myself - when I was fianl adjusting this Tasco scope to my eye I sub-consciously made sure the scope became "clear" when the big white lettering on the eye-piece spelling out T-A-S-C-O was turned down toward the action. I wouldn't want anyone to see me out at my range with a Tasco scope on a Rifle.
I mean I am not "VAIN" to a very great extent but I do have an image to keep.
You know what I mean - don't ya?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Well VG,

I have some TASCO bigger powered scopes, and while no Leupolds, they have done a good job, and are clear enough for my eye sight to do the job...

While I like a Mercedes, sometimes a plain old Chevy will get the job done...

Sure, TASCO, SIMMONS and some of the other companies with Lower Cost Scopes, like some of the Bushnell products, make low end scopes that are junk to anyone for a 12 yr old with his first 22 LR...but they also make some that are actually pretty darn decent..they do the job with 85% to 95 % of what a Leupold etc will do, for 15% of the price...

If God blessed me as a rich guy, I'd have pretty much nothing but Leupolds on any of my rigs... but since he didn't, some days I live just fine with Tascos, Bushnells, Weavers and some Simmons..

I have 5 or 6 Simmons 4 x 4, in 4.5 x 14s..
they are a good scope...

I don't mount them on say a 300 Win Mag..
but for service on a 10/22, or a 17 or 22 Mag in a Marlin or Ruger, they are more than plenty good enough...
throw a little $25.00 Stony Point target turrent on top.. and do the job just fine..

I just wish fewer guys were 'scope snobs' among our numbers....I just don't understand the mind set... why do some of us look down on those that Tascos might be the best that they can afford... or they might be more than plenty for guys whose eye sight isn't exactly Leupold quality any more itself ( like me for instance).....

I'd bear no guilt about having a Tasco especially picking up a good scope for the job at hand, that only set me back $40.00...

how much we spend doesn't always equate to the amount of quality we just bought... my last scope that went south was a $350.00 Weaver V 24... it lasted 600 rounds or less on top of a 223, shooting bullets at 22 Hornet velocity...

the rifle lived with a used $50.00 Tasco 6 x 24, while it took me about 6 months and a lot of correspondence to get the Weaver replacement for a scope that was less than 30 days old..

the $50.00 used Tasco more than survived the season and also accounted for plenty of sage rats in the process...

and lets don't even discuss the $150.00 ER Shaw 223 barrel on that rifle...a few guys shot it and nailed sage rats at 250 to 300 yds, and when they asked what brand of barrel was on it, I told them it was a Krieger... and they went off on a verbal tangent of what great quality Krieger makes and how it is worth every penny of their asking price...

on actually using stuff, I often wonder how many guys don't have a clue the difference in performance from a low dollar product to a high dollar product...
most can't apply the extra 'quality'.. because the week point is their shooting skills and abilities..

cover up the Tasco markings and when people ask, tell them it is a new Leupold offering... they really won't know the difference in most cases...
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your Tasco. I have 2 of the 4-16-40AO world class scopes. One is on my 10/22 and 1 is on my marlin 922M. They are extremely clear and bright and hold zero. What more can you ask?
This weekend I mounted a Tasco 3-9x40 World Class I've had since I was a teen.No it's not a Leupold, or a Weaver, which are the two scopes I mostly use, but it is bright enough, and has never once lost zero, even on some of the hard kickers I liked as a kid.Don't know how much stuff I've killed looking through that scope.Its now on my Knight, so I'll hopefully add a few more kills to it.
If it works for you, why not use one? After all, you are the only one you have to make happy with your optics choices. One of my hunting friends (who is as knowledgeable as any rifleman I know) actively searches for good used Tasco World Class scopes and has quite a few of them mounted on a variety of rifles. Never owned a Tasco myself, but I have used several comparable Bushnell and Weaver products over the years with good results.
I have a tasco 3x9x50 that is 24yrs old Its been sitting around for yrs Got a custum mauser98 in 257 bob It was as clear as most scopes and held zero fine the combo is awsome a real plesure 2 shoot and carry and exstrem. accurate thanks marty
I've got one of the early world class 2-7s that were made in the Phillipines. Much better scope than when they went to china with production. It's not up to my 4200 or VXIIs but it works fine for any normal hunting.
VG - look on the tube just ahead of the eyepiece. You might have lucked into a NICE piece of glass. The 6-24x42 Tasco World Class on my 220 Swift has the letters "JAPAN" imprinted on the tube. Very nice glass.

A couple of other Tasco and Bushnell scopes I own have the letters "JAPAN" and "BL" in an oval imprinted on the tube...now...THOSE are very nice scopes.
cool mine is made in japan thanks marty
I have 3 of the 6-24 varmint scopes with the mil-dot/duplex reticle. The first one has been an older Savage 110 (not 10) in .223. The rifle has a short, heavy barrel and was a model called the "4 x 4." It shoots 1/4- 1/2 inch groups regularly and has held zero all these years. It does get a little less clear at the high end of magnification, but I just can't get around to changing it out. Based upons its performance, I bought 2 others. One is on a .17 HMR CZ-452 and the other is on a Kimber .22 LR bench gun that I got from the CMP. I have more expensive scopes, but these work very well - especially when I look at what I paid for them!
You probably bought the Tasco scope I sold. I had a coyote in the crosshairs and missed it cleanly 2 or 3 times at around 200 yards. It turns out that in a few days the scope had gone from being one or two inches high at 100 yards to 9 or 10 inches high.

That said, I have several Tasco scopes that have performed well but I don't trust them like I used to. A couple were bought REALLY cheap and they weren't even taken off a rifle; they were brand new.

You may also know that Tasco is now owned by Bushnell. What this means is that the warranty is probably pretty worthless but, if the scope is cheap enough, you probably won't care.
Varmint Guy
I just put the garbage out this morning. In it was a 6-24X Tasco
that was always milky above 18X. I sent it in to the factory and they refused it because it was manufactured before the company was sold to Bushnell. They said they could not repair it. I tossed it.
It was on my son's .223 prairie dog rifle and maybe I will have better luck with the Weaver 15X target scope?
I also have a 6-18X Simmons and it has been a good scope so far.
So please don't call me a scope snob.
I wish I had never sold my old Redfield target scopes, the 8X with the dot reticle was my favorite and the 12X with fine crosshairs was not bad either.
Good Luck with your Tasco!

whelennut
Whelennut: Yes I have noticed that attribute of the Tasco 6x24's - they do darken up at the highest powers!
I notice it in mine at 21 or 22 power.
STILL I can shoot targets and Varmints during daylight hours with them.
The comparable Leupold scope is an 8.5x25 variable and they start at $650.00 or so - in other words OVER 16 (sixteen!) times the amount I paid for the Tasco!
I own 3 Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scopes and they are, IMHO, one of the best Colony Varminting scopes EVER made IF NOT the best!
I actively shop for them on the used market (as they are no longer made by the fine folks there at Leupold & Stevens).
Yes "I" am a scope SNOB!
And I am somewhat shamed by that!
BUT being a scope snob has become entirely to expensive for me to continue on, as!
I have a couple of Simmon 4x12 scopes on 22 rimfire Varminters. These are on Rifles I use as "learners" and or "extras" when folks come into town with no armaments.
They have worked well for many years for me and I have directed literally dozens of folks to buy and use this model of Simmons scope on their 22's.
I think they were about $60.00 each but they were clear and consistent and looked good - they had a red ring where the gold should be - but so what - they work.
Sadly last year I was informed when I went to buy a new one that that particular model Simmons 4x12 had been discontinued.
My man "Joe" who has sold those scopes at Gunshows around the northwest for 25 years (he estimated) was visibly and admittedly sad that Simmons discontinued that scope.
He relayed he sold more of that model scope than any other he had ever carried!
I will live with the "darkening" or milkiness like you mention for 1/16th the cost on my "no-critical" use Rifles!
Times are hard out here - even for a scope snob.
"Hi everyone - I'm VarmintGuy, I'm a scope snob".
Step one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Seafire: I take your gentle admonishment about my snobishness to heart.
There are times I wish I were not a scope snob!
But I cut my teeth on centerfire longer range Varminting by using all manner of Unertl Varmint (and target scopes)!
I mean these things were beyond clear they were BRILLIANT and dependable.
Sadly I have taken my profits from all my Unertl's and only have one left - a BV-20!
When I really want to feel superior (I say this in jest as a recovering or struggling scope snob!) I bring out the Rifle the BV-20 is mounted on and I just look at things through this splendid scope!
I have still not shot the new Tasco scope as yet but as soon as the winds calm I am going to get that done.
Krikey! They are predicting snow for the next couple of days here in SW Montana.
Yes's on the Simmons and Tasco scopes and there applications - see my other recent post!
I scour pawn shops and gunshops where ever I travel and look for used scopes that are "good buys".
And I look especially carefully for old Redfields as they can sometimes be purchased very righteously.
Thanks for the gentle bashing - I needed it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintScopeSnob uh, uh, I mean VarmintGuy
Odessa: Did you read the part of my posting where I purposely adjusted the focus so the word T-A-S-C-O was unreadble by other folks?
I am sick.
Yes these scopes work but they are CHEAP!
I don't like folks to know I have a CHEAP side to me.
I have EVEN considered taping a phoney, (or a real!) tiny ballistics chart over the word T-A-S-C-O on my Tascos, so folks won't readily recognize the brand - I think my "problem" is more ego based than reality based?
I remeber about 10 years ago I bought my first Tasco 6x24 scope - I had it for awhile and when another scope came along and I replaced the Tasco. I sold the 6x24 Tasco at a gunshow to a young Army Ranger (the show was near Ft. Lewis, Washington). At the next gunshow there abouts who do I see walking towards me with intensity of purpose written all over that young Rangers face but the "gentleman" I sold that Tasco to.
My first thought was I have never been beaten up by a Ranger, but, alas, he had come over to thank me for selling him that scope and how well he liked it!
I was relieved and happy that I had made the young soldier a good deal on that scope.
I tell you one line/model of scopes I really enjoy and think they are a great scope is the Weaver V-16 model. I have several of these and bought my first one for $200.00 new. They are up to $260.00 now but are still an excellent value and an excellent scope.
Kudos to Weaver.
I mean Odessa, I Hunt with guys who use Varmint model high dollar Zeiss, NightForce, Bushnell 6500's and models of Leupold scopes I could NEVER afford! IMAGINE how I would feel if they saw me shooting a Tasco???
I could die of embarrassment or something.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Yep Varmint Guy, I read the part about how you made the word T-A-S-C-O unreadable. Somehow (after reading plenty of your posts on the Campfire) I don't think you would really give a rat's azz what anyone thought of what you were using (scope, rifle or bullet choice). I feel the same way; I am long past caring what anyone thinks about what I do, especially with my hunting and shooting hobbies. You hold into the wind too. Odessa
I've messed with enough Tasco's that the moving the POI via the dials was a roll of the dice and you never knew where it would be. Once you hit the lucky combination you dare not touch things. I'm too poor to afford junk. YMMV.
Kinda like riding a moped?
Originally Posted by Odessa
Yep Varmint Guy, I read the part about how you made the word T-A-S-C-O unreadable. Somehow (after reading plenty of your posts on the Campfire) I don't think you would really give a rat's azz what anyone thought of what you were using (scope, rifle or bullet choice). I feel the same way; I am long past caring what anyone thinks about what I do, especially with my hunting and shooting hobbies. You hold into the wind too. Odessa

LOL now what kind of attitude is that. Oh one that works!
Originally Posted by FVA
I've messed with enough Tasco's that the moving the POI via the dials was a roll of the dice and you never knew where it would be. Once you hit the lucky combination you dare not touch things. I'm too poor to afford junk. YMMV.

That's funny because I have the exact same scope as the one VG just bought, and it happens to be the most consistent-tracking scope that I own.
VG,
I blush to admit I replaced the busted Tasco with a 4-12 Simmons
purchased on clearance at Wal-Mart for $30.00!
I am trying to send two sons to college and cannot afford to be snobbish about anything.
Carry on!
whelennut
Jordan Smith: I do not use the "target knobs" on any of my scopes for compensationg for elevation (range!) while Hunting in the field.
I use the dots or the Du-Plex's changes or good old Kentucky windage (holdover) for my sight alignment procedures.
I appreciate all of you-alls comments on the Tasco adjustments both pro and con.
I may have mis-spoke earlier when I mentioned I had TWO other Tasco 6x24 variables - I now only have only ONE other Tasco 6x24 (for a total of 2 now).
I do have 3 (three) Sightron 6x24 variables and I may have mistakenly remembered one of these scopes as being a Tasco.
Checked my loading log and I have now come up with the correct numbers and brands of scopes.
Where I am going is I have NOT noticed that the Tasco 6x24's I have shot with in the past (2 of them) "tracked" poorly or improperly while sighting in with them.
Once the wind/snow quits hereabouts and I get to resume shooting, I will check this newest Tasco 6x24 for this malady and report back.
Thanks all again for the input and thanks for not being to harsh to me for this possible breach of Varmint Hunting etiquette (buying and using the Tasco scope!).
FVA's point about buying junk and the problems that sometimes arise by doing so is a valid one!
I am aware of that situation - but what am I risking here with this $40.00 Tasco?
Answer: not much.
And I am temprarily unable to pay over 16 (sixteen!) times that amount for the scope I would like to have right now.
So if the Tasco goes "tit's up" I have lost some time and at the very most $40.00.
And there is a pretty good chance I will get through this season with the nifty mil-dot system and the 18 to 21+ very useable powers of this Tasco scope.
The use for this scope will not be in extreme weather or temperatures, nor will it be used at night or in spotlighting situations, nor will it be used on Big Game.
Probably if and when I go to sell the Tasco (replace it) I will certainly get $35.00 to $50.00 for it - easily and quickly.
Thank you again FVA for relaying your experience with the Tasco line. I will keep a close eye out for the shortcomings you have experienced.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Whelennut: I also am suffering the indignity of paying, out of state tuition, for the TWO youngest VarmintSons! I have been suffering this indignity (and I refer to it as an indignity - giving my money to liberal college proffessors!) for 6 1/2 years now.
This YEAR I will emerge out from under this hellacious burden and indignity, as the VarmintSons will both graduate with 3 degrees between the two of them.
I can now THANKFULLY, see the light at the end of this long tunnel.
I know where you are coming from and I commiserate with you!
Carry on is right - the VarmintWife has not been on a true vacation in 7 YEARS because of college costs!
The first thing I will do once this degrading ordeal is over is send the VarmintWife to vacation somewhere, WARM!
I might even bring her along on a Caribou/Wolf Hunt that I am considering/planning for the near future?
Colleges "educations" nowadays - what a load of crap!
Pardon my tangent here but did you hear about the University of Florida professor/grant handler a month or so ago?
He makes $324,000.00 per YEAR yet he and another person ALSO of ARABIAN descent were caught STEALING bicycles on the campus of the Florida college he "taught" at!!!
Whats wrong with this picture?
A third of a million dollars a year PLUS benies - why steal lots of $200.00 bikes???
I have a very strong hunch what that "professor" was doing with the monies he garnered from stealing bicycles and it has nothing to do with strong American ideals and capitalism!
I dealt with college professors on a professional level for 29 years and I was NOT impressed with them in any way shape or form!
Don't get me started.
Come on, end of the college tunnel!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Nothing wrong with Trashco, as long as you don't get your expectations up.
I'm still using my Pillipino 32x WC, its about 10 years old and still hits prairie dogs.
I have one Trashco 6.24 that had a screwed up parallax ring, basically the crosshairs did a barrel roll around the target, which explained why I would MISS. I discovered that about the time Tasco went away. But it makes a pretty good spotting/observation scope for those of us with glasses, I fabbed a tripod bracket, and find it way better than a spotting scope.
I think the best scope I have is an old Redfield rangefinder 18 x, the rest are bargain bin specials, like BSA, Trashco and Simmons, than somehow seem to work reasonably well. Hmmm.
I have several Tasco scopes. One, a 6X20 has been my load development scope on 30-06 and less rifles. Good and clear up to 14X which is all I need for load development. Been reliable good optics for the money. Nice to hear people saying good things about bargain priced optics. Over on the optics forum if it isn't some high priced scope people just flame you and what ever product you want to talk about.
My only problems in the past with cheap scopes is clarity past12 power or so. At 20 power or so....forget it. Never had luck
When I helped put my first "custom" together about 25 years ago, the only thing I could afford to put on it, was a Tasco 6x24x40. It was made in Japan, think it cost me about $100, new? It was a bargain rifle and it got a bargain scope.

It's been on that same Douglass-barreled 25-06 ever since. Only time I've ever had to fuss with it, was when I changed loads. Since that rifle has only been shooting 100gr Btips since they came out, haven't monkeyed with the scope much since.

It repeats from the 100 yard zero, up to 500 yards and back again, with any settings in between. Always has. When it quits working, I'll replace it with something "better". So far it's been there for dead deer, from less than 80 yards (6X) and a few out beyond 400 yards (24X). All one shot kills.

I have other Tascos, including Chicom variants. None have ever failed, all work fine. I also have a Leupie, steel tube Weavers and a few Bushnells. Same for those.
Varmintguy; From what I saw when I went back to school (non-traditional student) 1. at least half the professors should have been handed a broom because they weren't that good as professors.
2. Most of the students should have had to come up with at least half the cost of attendence without their parents help (a lot of them were there because their parents would keep paying the bills as long as the grades didn't get too bad).

Like the idea of sending the wife someplace warm, just be sure to send the sons the bill.

I have 2 Trashco scopes, they work just fine.
Chris112: Well I finally got to put the "new" Remington 700 VS in 220 Swift and the 6x24 Tasco to the "test".
And the test results turned out pretty well.
Do to an incoming SNOW storm, and cold, I had to cut the test a bit short.
First the Rifle - once to my desired point of aim it made a nice-ish group (5 shots at 100 yards) measuring .622"!
I was just wanting to see how the Rifle "held" with this test ammo and I used a tried and true old load of IMR 4064 and 52 grain Sierras.
I had purchased the Rifle for a pittance and decided to keep it if it shot well and that ONE group is enough of an indicator to me that the Rifle still has a future as an accurate Varminter.
The Tasco scope was used during sight-in and testing at its full 24 power and although the image and the brightness were NOT Unertl like they both allowed for a fine hold and I could easily discern the 22 caliber holes at 100 yards.
AND the "tracking" of the Tasco 6x24 seemed right on for direction of movement and timing as well as being quite close to the 1/4 M.O.A. adjustments as advertised.
Albeit I only needed to move the adjustments a total of 5 times - the 5 movements included counting both elevation and windage.
Again not much of a test but it still did well.
NOW, I have to find a place for another "good shooting" Rifle in my safes!
I think (do to a dramatic shortage of funds!) that this Tasco 6x24 is going to stay on the 220 Swift at least through this summer, fall and winter.
I am pretty sure my "ship" (full of monies!) is coming in by Christmas 2,009 and I will be able to afford a more "upscale" scope by then.
Snowing again (and snowing HARD) here in SW Montana - 8" of new with 3" more predicted for tonight.
The Gophers are all staying under the snow today!
Sheesh!
Come on spring.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
DubePA: I did not even think to check the "country of origin" on this latest Tasco of mine.
Thats a good report on your Tasco and the recoil of that 25/06 ought to be a good enough test for the Tasco for its holding point of impact!
One of the VarmintSons has a nifty Remington 700 in 25/06 Remington. This Rifle has accounted for a number of Antelope and Mule Deer and one Whitetail.
Wishing you continued success and happiness with the Tasco and the 25/06.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Tascos are like Savages..

not the prettiest rifles for years.. but for dollar value and just plain working, one could not beat them...

now Savages are mega trendy..

there are still a lot of usable low end scopes under Leupold's prices that do plenty of a good enough job..

I always prefer a Leupold, but they are not the only tool in the shed...

Savage's rifles are alot more appealing to me nowadays also....

Last time I was in a Cabelas up in Lacy WA, I was looking at the Bushnell 6500 series, which I liked a lot.. but they were awfully heavy also...

I also was looking at a couple of Cabelas house brand Alaskan Guide stuff.. their 'new model' 6.5 x 20 had a lot clearer glass than even the Leupold 8.5 x 25s with the 30mm tubes and the Bushnell 4.5 x 30 with the 30 mm tubes..

the Cabela's scope was $389.00... its optics were even clearer at all ranges when compared to the Nightforces they had in stock.

When I finish putting together my Mauser with the 31 inch bull barrel on it, chambered in 6mm Rem, with a one in 8 twist... I am sure the Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6.5 x 20 with the 30mm tube is going to be my scope of choice on that rifle...

Funny thing is, I bet they are made in the same factory overseas in Asia that the Tascos are made in...
Doubt any of Tasco's current scopes are made anywhere but China these days? They did have some more expensive (for them) varmint/target models that were made in either the Phillipines or some other Asian country, but I haven't seen any such new ones lately.

Two friends used some of those for years on their heavy varminters in some pretty feisty chamberings (7mmx300Wby; 6mmx300Win, 6mm-06, etc), without any problems. And those rifles saw heavy use on woodchucks over quite a few summers. Can't for the life of me recall exactly what they were, though? Do recall those scopes ran about $300 or more each back then, but both buds have gone to their rewards now.

One also had two Bushnell Trophy 6x18x40s that seemed to work very well. I put one of 'em on a 243, but it's fairly fresh yet. Not a bad target scope w/AO, for around $230.

One Chicom Tasco I really like, is the 2.5x10x42AO mildot I picked up for about $70 several years ago. It's been on a heavy barrel NEF in 223 since both were new and works fine for varmints out to 300 yards. Midway and SWFA still have that scope for less than $70.
© 24hourcampfire