Home
Is there a 6.5 bullet out there that will do it all fairly well? From 100 to 800 yards on wolves, large yotes and small deer? I am willing to accept some compromises in performance not perfection in all scenarios.

Read a guy on Long range hunting bragging up the A-Max. I dunno. I balk at using competition bullets on game.

I am trying to keep my life more simple so I am looking to just stick with one bullet if I can.

Thanks.
The A-Max is marketed as a match bullet and varmint/medium game bullet. At .550 BC it oughtta' get out that far as well as anything does +/-.

I used the SST's too out of a 6.5-284 XP-100 handgun and they both worked well enough for me on elk/1 sheep and goat and a 906-yd. coyote believe it or not.
Berger VLD's might warrant a look, too.
The Berger Hunting VLD's would be my choice for this caliber. BC over .6 really should be the job nicely.
DixieFreedomz: I have experience out to 506 yards with my 260 Remington Rifle.
I use the wonderful (and wonderfully accurate!) Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tips for Antelope, Coyotes and Deer.
I may just be using my 26" heavy barreled Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington next month, here for Montanas first legal Wolf Hunt in many decades!
I don't think I will be trying for them at anything near 800 yards though - I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a Wolf at 500 yards though.
I have made several one shot kills on Coyotes and Antelope with this bullet between the 300 and the aforementioned 506 (Leica lasered) yards.
Best of luck with your 260 Remington.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
120NBT's would be another option
How about Nosler 130 AB's ?
any good 100 grainer...
I use either the 100 BTip or the 107-grain MatchKing for long range shooting. Both are extremely accurate in my M700VLS .260 rifle, and the reduced recoil helps accuracy even more. I would not use the 107 MK on game however....

I`ve heard good about the 100gr Hornady SP on game but, I can`t say anything from personal experiance.
The 100 gr Noslers, both BT and Partition have been fairly accurate in my rifles, and should perform well on game.
140 amax or 130/140 vld berger =800yds. is a long ways out yonder.

I can attest to the [7mm] 162gr. amax's killing power at longrange -devastating.

There was some youtube video of a guy shooting feral sheep in new zealand -almost all bang-flops at 4/5/600yds. He was shooting a 7-08 most of the critters bounced off the ground while some cringed buckled and fell over.
Everything you have mentioned that you would like to kill is thin skinned. With that information I would not hesitate to use a Sierra Matchking. For .260 I would run the 140 or 142 SMK.

Naturally of course many will parrot that they have heard you should not use SMKs for deer and everything else. I have personally shot a number of big bodied mulies with SMKs at long distance and have spotted for a number of other shooters who have done the same. A decent amount of coyotes have fallen in front of my rifles with SMKs as well. I have also talked to numerous precision riflemen who have done the same on antelope, blackbear coyotes, etc. They will do the job if you do yours.

In short, I would put longer range accuracy and high BC before anything else. If your .260 shoots Bergers/SMKs/Amaxs etc best, then use them.
do NOT use a-max as an all purpose, if you shoot a deer with that guy at 100 yds, it is far too frangible, it will litterally explode and you will make a mess of his insides. plus the large exit wound leave a lot to waste. look at a 140 gr spire. i have shot deer with them at 60 yds and they held together just fine. i have also done some target shooting with them out to 800 out of a 6.5-06 and they buck the wind fairly well.
© 24hourcampfire