Home
Posted By: safariman My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/15/10
Shoots bughole groups in my lightweight Sako Riihimaki 222, turns little rodents inside out, puts coyotes on the ground RIGHT NOW but best of all is EASY to remember......

.224 50gr TNT w/Moly,

22.2grs of
2200powder with a COL of
2.22!!!!!

Been using it for years, thought I would share. Data 2200 is a might scarce nowadays (I have about 10 lbs left from a buy made 15years ago) but the burn rate, acccording to Accurate powders info sheet and book loads, is REALLY close to 2230 and BL-C 2 so one could possibly work up to the same load with those powders. If it works as good as my original recipe and is accurate, it is kinda fun having all of the numbers end up 222. Maybe I have some kind of weird synergy going here.... smile
Posted By: DMB Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/15/10
TAC is easier to say... grin
TNTs are great for sage rats---------they look like they were shot with a larger gun than a .222. I discovered 2200 about 15yrs ago too, and still have a pretty good stash. 26grs and TNTs in my .223 Ruger UL (20" barrel) yields 3450fps and bug holes. I've stuck with 20.5grs 4198 in my 222 though. Messed with BLC-2, AA2015, and one or two others (too lazy to find notes), but have never bested 4198. Ball powders do throw nicer, but what the heck.

BTW, not to hijack your .222 thread, but after 2200 dried up, I discovered 2230C priced equally cheap, and it turned out to be a superb .223 powder. The good old days of 10+ yrs ago! blush
My 222 was my gramps...he worked up a load in the 60's and its still the go to load today......23grs of 4895 behind a 55gr sierra hpbt. Shoots in the 3's and the same poi using win or rem brass.
Truth be told, probably LOTS of great 222 loads as these rifles are almost always great shooters. I thought mine was fun because of all of the times the number 222 shows up in the load. It is what I use and will continue to until my 10lbs remaining of powder runs out, maybe in 2020 or so..... smile

thanks for sharing the other loads, gents, and keep shooting the mighty triple deuce! Long live the 222!
Posted By: DMB Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/16/10
Originally Posted by safariman
Truth be told, probably LOTS of great 222 loads as these rifles are almost always great shooters. I thought mine was fun because of all of the times the number 222 shows up in the load. It is what I use and will continue to until my 10lbs remaining of powder runs out, maybe in 2020 or so..... smile

thanks for sharing the other loads, gents, and keep shooting the mighty triple deuce! Long live the 222!

I got your point about the load with all of the "2's" in it. I was just funnin' ya with the TAC posting.
You do mention one excellent point about the 222, and that is you have to work VERY hard to find a load that won't shoot in that chambering.
I only shoot 50 nand 52 gn bullets in the 222, and I must have several powders and primer combinations that will deliver 3 shot, less than 1/2" at 100 yard performance.
And, a BIG amen on "Long live the 222!"
I have the same gun and it shoots factories well.
Not real particular.

A lot more lethal than that little cartridge looks.

stumpy
Being "stuck" in 1950 doesn't seem all that bad. wink
The 222 is my favourite small change cartridge too. A traditional load of 20.0 gr of IMR4198 works in both my rifles, with a 50 grain bullet. For years I used Rem bulk 50s - PSPs. I make my own bullets and use FB 52 grain bullets as well with either Sierra or J4 jackets.

Great fun!
a sako mannlicher, bdl varmint, and a bdl all shooting 20.6 of imr-4198 and 50 grain usually a balistic tip. 3278 fps. lapua or norma brass
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/18/10
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Being "stuck" in 1950 doesn't seem all that bad. wink

whistle grin

Right now I've been in an Alliant stage, so its 24 grs of RL-10X with 40's or 21 grs RL-7 with 50's.

FWIW I ran close to a Nosler 55gr. BT load. Theirs was 22 grs, mine was 22.2 of H322......shot like a 22.2 cent piece of rubber dog turd! grin
H322 has never worked best for me, ever....
Hawk1: I could NOT disagree with you more!
H322 is an absolutely splendid powder when seeking accurracy!
I use a lot of it, in MANY different Rifles!
Including "best powder" (accuracy wise!) in 4 (four) of my 6 (six) Varminters in caliber 222 Remington!
H322 HAS worked "best" for me in dozens of Rifles over the last several decades!
Including (after a quick perusal of my current loads in my loading log book) a current total of 11 (eleven) Rifles that I am NOW loading for.
These Rifles vary in caliber from 17 MachIV to 22 Remington Bench Rest, 6mm Remington Bench Rest, 6x47 and the aforementioned 222 Remingtons - among others.
I am surprised AND puzzled by the difference in our results!
One of my all time favorite Rifles is a Remington 40XB-BR in caliber 222 Remington!
This is an all factory stock Rifle with a Leupold 24 power scope on it.
It IS splendidly accurate.
This is a Colony Varmint Hunting Rifle and once my load was settled upon it only goes to the Rifle range for pre-Varmint Safari sight in verifications anymore!
Even at that this Rifle has shot 5 groups (5 shots at 100 yards) over the years, measuring in the "1's"!
This Rifle uses H322 powder - again I am puzzled at the differences in our results!
Some years back I was at a registered Bench Rest Match in Tacoma, Washington perusing things - at LEAST 2 (two) of the competitors there we still using H322 powder - and they shot well indeed!
Don't give up on H322 powder (at least for accuracy) as I have used it very successfully for several decades now.
Long live H322.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: keith Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/25/10
Walt Berger set a few world records with a 222 with a lot of H335.
I asked about the 222 several months ago on benchrest.com. The 222 only holds one record now - a 0.009 inch, 100 yd group by Gale MacMillan in the light varmint class. It was shot using 50 grain, homemade bullets on Sep 23, 1973.
20 gr 4198 and Nosler 55 Tipped bullet
VarmintGuy: I shot .222 for years (3 different rifles) and always had good success with Re7. H322 just never got there for me. What are you using for primers and brass? Since I've switched to .223 I've learned a few new tricks and wish I had my .222 back.
H322 for me and 40 gr. Vmax. YMMV, particularly, since y'all don't own the same rifle!
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hawk1: I could NOT disagree with you more!
H322 is an absolutely splendid powder when seeking accurracy!

HawkI says 322 didn't shoot well in his gun and you're disagreeing with him?
You mean it really did shoot well even though he says it didn't? You've shot his rifle have you? Were you there when he was shooting it? Looks like your same ol' same ol'.....someone doesn't like what you like which means you're right and they're wrong. Then comes a dissertation to convince them that they're wrong.
In the 80's I wore out a .222 barrel shooting gophers and pd's with Sierra 40HP's and 24.5/T-32. It was a good accurate load. That gun is now a .223.
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/26/10
VV N120 works well too.

AA2520 shoots well too, but very dirty.

Like I said, I've burned enough H322 in my dueces to find other powders shot better and gained more safe speed.

The late Mike Walker prolly burned more powder in the 222 than any man (even more than VG). He always felt IMR 4198 was king, but what did he know......grins.
Posted By: DMB Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/26/10
All I ever shot in my benchrest Heavy Varmint 222 rifle was IMR-4198. That was 40 years ago, and it still shoots in my two 222's today, different rifles than my BR rifle. 19.6 gns of it with a 50 or 52 gn bullet will give 3 shot, one hole accuracy at 100 yards, using a 20x scope. Same load back then, and today.
Other powders also shoot, especially TAC, H-335, H-322, RL-7 to mention a few off the top.
I seriously feel that it is difficult finding a load that won't shoot in the 222, provided that good components are used.
I found a load with H322 and the 50sx Hornady bullet worked best in my Rem Md 7. This load will shoot 5 shots in around .5 inch at 100 even with its lite little 18.5 inch barrel.

Dennis.
You gotta stick with what works. Isn't it nice that the 222 isn't finicky about what it digests?
Posted By: ingwe Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/27/10
Nobody shooting 4064 in the deuce..?

Ingwe
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 04/28/10
Have ran '15 and Varget with a 55 Sierra Blitz.

Shot great but too much dinking for me.
Long time ago, & back in Australia, I used to shoot the 50 Sierra Blitz over 24.(Something ?) grains of W748, in my Tikka M55.

Extremely accurate & very deadly on pests / varmints (Rabbits, feral cats, crows & foxes).

Paul.
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
The 222 is my favourite small change cartridge too. A traditional load of 20.0 gr of IMR4198 works in both my rifles, with a 50 grain bullet. For years I used Rem bulk 50s - PSPs. I make my own bullets and use FB 52 grain bullets as well with either Sierra or J4 jackets.

Great fun!

Yes, and for those who are not aware of it, Steve makes great .313 and .314 jacketed soft point hunting bullets. They turn those old 303 British rifles with sloppy bores into right fine shooters! smile

With apologies for the brief hijack.
Ted
Thanks Ted. I don't know if I'll be making any this year. There hasn't been much call for them. I'll decide closer to hunting season.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

I'm going to try a few powders and different weights in my 222s this year. I'm confident that 60 grain bullets made from RF cases will stabilize. They measure 0.688 inches which is a hair shorter than the 53 grain Sierra MK. If all goes to plan, I should be able to get between 3000-3100 fps. That's with 748, BLC2 and H322. I'll try some others as well, but will try these first.
Just tapped into the last jug of AA2200, but mostly for 223 loads. According to the data I downloaded and printed, they're showing 21grs as a max for the triple deuce and 50gr bullets, but we know how them things go these days. ;O)

Haven't loaded a 222 round in years, but am overdue fer it and there's a lonely M788 in the back of the pile that ain't barked in some time. When I was shooting it, used 19grs of IMR 4198 and mostly Hornady 50gr spire points. My kid killed a mess of woodchucks with that thing when he was younger.
BLC-2 and IMR 4198 was my go to powders in the 222 Rem and still two of the best. I have been thinking of building myself another 222 and have already purchased the reamer with .246 neck and the Head Space gages, now just need a action in LH
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 05/01/10
Thanks Ted. I don't know if I'll be making any this year. There hasn't been much call for them. I'll decide closer to hunting season.

I'm going to try a few powders and different weights in my 222s this year. I'm confident that 60 grain bullets made from RF cases will stabilize. They measure 0.688 inches which is a hair shorter than the 53 grain Sierra MK. If all goes to plan, I should be able to get between 3000-3100 fps. That's with 748, BLC2 and H322. I'll try some others as well, but will try these first.

Sounds like a fine recipe.

What datum is the ogive?

Short, blunt 60's, even the 63 Sierra SMP can do well in a 1-14 222.
My .222 likes 22 grains of H322. Might be old school, but it shoots tiny groups.
Originally Posted by HawkI

Sounds like a fine recipe.

What datum is the ogive?

Short, blunt 60's, even the 63 Sierra SMP can do well in a 1-14 222.

I use a 6S ogive die, but do not push the bullet completely into the die when I'm point forming.

I've tried making bullets with and without a lead tip and shot them from my 223. I left the meplat wider (made OTs) because I was lazy and did not want to bother with the extra step of putting them through the tip forming die. Accuracy was the same.
The very first cartridge I reloaded back in the '50s was the .222 Rem. The rifle was a used 340 Savage bolt action. The load was 19.5/I4198 and whatever primers were cheapest, probably Dominion/CIL. The bullets were home made from used .22 rimfire cases, 50 grains in weight, that a friend manufactured. That friend is still around and in his '80s. Funny how 50 plus years later I can still remember this kind of detail.

About a year ago I replaced my .223 with another .222, a Tikka heavy barrel. Not using home made bullets anymore but the caliber still shoots as well as ever.

This thread has been a trip down memory lane.

Jim
[Linked Image]

Here are some homemade 50 grain bullets made from Lapua 22RF. I load them for my 222s. These use 19.0 gr. of 4198. They move along at a little over 3100 fps. Push them any faster and they'll come apart.
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 05/04/10
Steve, can you draw a line where the core is?

They remind me of how Berger makes, or appears to make its 30 grainer.

Thanks for sharing!
If you cannot see the line well enough, I will try making it thicker.

Berger's Varmint bullets are just their version of a time tested, thin jacketed bullet. The front collapses upon impact and the critter suffers from blunt bullet trauma. Varmint Grenades are the same.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 05/05/10
Thanks, it shows up just fine!
Timely thread for me as I took my new to me sako vixen out for the first shots yesterday. Using imr4198 exclusively in 40 and 45 gr. The 40 gr nos bt shot into less than 1/2" with 21.5 gr and the 45 gr tsxfb would do no better than two shot into 1/2" and a flyer about 3/4" out with 21.0 gr being my best. I think I need to work with seating on the TSX as I was unable to get it deeper than 2.12 w/o the redding seater wanting to crimp the loads. That is only .04ish off the lands.

Any ideas on thes loads from the experts here and thanks for the thread?
Since many here reload the 222 Remmy, I will pose a question here rather than begin a new thread.

In pouring my load of IMR4198 into the cases my RCBS funnel (size 22-50) sometimes does one of two things both of which cause spillage of powder; it does not close around the case mouth and powder runs down the side or it closes too tight and when I lift it up it picks up the case with it and drops it if I am not fast enough.

Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions to correct? or is it just "operator error"?
Posted By: HawkI Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 05/08/10
An MTM funnel/drop tube kit, or a nice brass spout funnel (forget who made the two I use).

Your funnel is suffering from being past its prime, used for multiple calibers and maybe too sharp of a chamfer.

I generally don't use funnels, but IMR 4198 in the deuce is a place to use one, I guess.

I'm no load expert by any means, but going deeper with that TSX should close the group up, although if the third shot always opens it up to 3/4 I'd not lose sleep.

The 12 land barrels of old are kinda rough, if that's what you have, so mixing gilding metal and the copper TSX during one session may not be a recipe for one hole groups for either bullet.

Re-adjust that seater stem down past the crimp and re-set the lock ring for more latitude. You certainly will never need the crimp.
Posted By: hanco Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 11/11/21
Came across a Sako in 222, cheap price.

Would CFE 223 work in a 222, have about 30 lbs of it??? I would have to find some lighter bullets, all I have are 62 grain bear claws and Barnes.
Opened this thread, saw Safariman's was the OP, almost fainted. Then saw it was 11 years old, WHEW.

Hanco, sorry I can't help you, maybe Ingwe will be along soon.
Originally Posted by hanco

Would CFE 223 work in a 222, have about 30 lbs of it??? I would have to find some lighter bullets, all I have are 62 grain bear claws and Barnes.

Nope 😀

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: hanco Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 11/11/21
Can a 222 be reamed out to 223 if rifle has no collector value. I have thousands of 223 brass.
Can a 222 be reamed out to 223 if rifle has no collector value. I have thousands of 223 brass.

This be cheaper.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3118054/Re:_.222_Rem_brass_from_223
Posted By: mart Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 11/11/21

Not sure if a 223 will completely clean up a 222 chamber but I doubt it. Might have to set it back a bit before rechambering.

I've made a lot of 222 and 6mmx222 brass from 223. As was discussed in the linked thread, trim to length and run it into a seating die first. That will greatly reduce any neck and shoulder wrinkles. Or use a form and trim die. I'd anneal the neck and shoulder as well before sizing.

Here's some trim dies for 222

222 trim

222 trim 2

222 trim 3

Are you crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! a 222 is awesome, why bastardize it changing it to a 223 ???????????
More than likely it's a 1-14" twist barrel. brass is available, just buy some 40gr-50gr bullets find some VVN130 or H322 and you will find it shoots better than any of your 223's
I'm with boatanchor on this. Likely the barrel is a slow twist so get some 40, 45 & 50 grain bullets and go kill stuff with it. The 222 will shoot as good or better than you can shoot it.
Enjoy.
I'm just checking in to see who re opened an 11 year old Safariman Thread.....

As far as destroying the barrel by reaming out to a 223....

Take the barrel off, and sell it and buy a new 223 barrel...

or turn your 223 brass into 222 Brass...

I don't know why anyone would tear apart a 222 Sako..... even if you got it for a cheap price....

That is a mega classic rifle.

Ya want a 223, I'll swap ya a never been fired Remington 700 in 223, for the Sako....
Posted By: ingwe Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 11/13/21

Yeah you will need lighter bullets as that Sako will be a 14 twist. CFE223 might be worth a try but Ive only found ONE load in either of my .222s that shot well with that powder, and it is with a 55 gr. bullet in a 9 twist gun. 4198 is your huckleberry in most .222s 4895 is OK and so is 4064
Posted By: zcm82 Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 11/15/21
It could even be a 1-16. I've got a Savage 222 with a 1-16 barrel, and some of the Sakos had them, too.

Mine won't stabilize anything very long (typically 45gr tops) worth a plug nickel, but it does shoot the Barnes 30 grainers over CFE BLK well. The downside is they're about as areodynamic as a cinder block, so they drop like a rock past about 125 yards.
I had a 222 made 3 years ago on a blueprinted 700 action. Somewhere on the fire, I read a thread on the 222 where it was suggested to try 8208XBR. Worked up a load with vmax heads and without very much messing around got it to shoot very accurately. Never tried anything else.
I believe it is a very accurate cartridge and many combinations of bullet/powder will shoot lights out. Wish I would have made one 20 years ago
Don't ya love 11 year old revived threads... especially when started by a Campfire "Legend"...

Few people have left the campfire in MORE Disgrace then the OP of this thread....

Yet he still lives on....

Merry Christmas Safariman and Asphalt Angel, where ever you may be....

Addendum:

Guess I responded to this thread last month... but I'll leave this post and its message...

Old Mark needs to be left to R.I.P.
Posted By: keith Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/17/22
H335 with a Rem 7 1/2 with 50-52g bullets takes velocity to a new level in the 222, best accuracy is close to a max load for the rifle.
In multiple 222’s I’ve found best accuracy with H322 followed by IMR 4198. 40 gr Blitzking, Nosler BT and Sierra’s 50 gr Blitz soft point are good bullets to start with.
Originally Posted by keith
H335 with a Rem 7 1/2 with 50-52g bullets takes velocity to a new level in the 222, best accuracy is close to a max load for the rifle.

You have several times touted AA2700 for having a cool heat index, along those lines H335 is one of the hottest.
I will take VVN130 in the 222 ten times out of ten over H335
Posted By: erich Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/17/22
I really like the little 222 Rem, I've owned a bunch over ther years in bolt actions and combo guns. It is easy to load for. I find it is harder to find a bad load than a good one, My goto powders are Win 748, Benchmark and AA-2230, bullets Speer 52gr Flatbase and 40gr NBT.

Little Sako doing it's thing
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Same rifle with camo sleave to protect the wood and reduce the shine
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: ingwe Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/17/22
I am finding that my deuce LOVES Win 748!
Posted By: johnw Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by ingwe

Details?
Posted By: erich Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/17/22
Lots of 748 load data in manuals.
you can't get enough 748 in a 222 case to worry about any pressure being too high., so you should be good to go on that...

Ingwe mentioned back in November that 4198 is " your huckleberry".... and although I burn a lot of that om all sorts of chamberings..
the powder I'd be reaching for ( in saner times) would be good old time RL 7. an often forgot about powder,

I think they tried to replace it with RL 10, but from what I've seen around the net here and there, it still outsells its 'replacement'....

and H 322 is NEVER a bad option for velocity and accuracy in calibers like the 222 and smaller...

and 748, is another powder I don't like to be getting low on....but too many people forget it ever existed...except guys with a lot of long time reloading experience...

I haven't even tried the 8208 that everyone is acting like the greatest thing since sliced bread... there isn't a darn thing it has to offer, that isn't covered by many powders that have been around for decades... and are tried and proven...I like to use powders who are old friends.. I know them and their parameters, and they are always consistent...

yeah, I use to have to test every new powder that hit the market...but I think I gave up on that right around the time Varget was introduced....

nothing wrong with the other guys wanting to try a new powder.... but me, I hang with my old friends.....

kinda like I do with a lot of my campfire buds....
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by keith

You have several times touted AA2700 for having a cool heat index, along those lines H335 is one of the hottest.
I will take VVN130 in the 222 ten times out of ten over H335

I'll also skip having to deal with H335 fouling too.
Posted By: ingwe Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/17/22
Originally Posted by johnw

Details?

Yeah 24 grains seems to be the magic number, 50 gr bullet unless your twist can handle a 55 ( mine can)
I used IMR 4198 back in the '80's & '90's then had been using H322 for 15+ years. I think back in 2018-ish Midway USA had a deal on Accurate/Ramshot powders with free shipping & hazmat if you bought over $100 or 8# of it. I got some Accurate 2015 because their components in their .222 data was exactly what i use (Rem 7 1/2, WW case, Hornady 50gr. SPSX). Started with the max load in my Rem 722 and it came in right on the money to their stated velocity of 3213 fps and is as accurate as 4198/H322.

Yeah you will need lighter bullets as that Sako will be a 14 twist. CFE223 might be worth a try but Ive only found ONE load in either of my .222s that shot well with that powder, and it is with a 55 gr. bullet in a 9 twist gun. 4198 is your huckleberry in most .222s 4895 is OK and so is 4064

The early Sakos had 1-16 twists. Know this partly because I have one, an L-461 sporter.

Have tried a bunch of loads in various .222s. As others have mentioned, many of the "traditional" spherical powders, such as H335, are dirty-burning--and not very temperature resistant, which may be important to those who use .222s in, say, Montana, which has the most widely varying temperatures of any state.

Have owned a bunch of .222s, and prefer 40-grain bullets for all-around varminting, because they get the most out of the cartridge at common ranges. The most consistent load has been 21.5 grains of H4198, one of Hodgdon's Extreme powders.
Anyone use 2200 in the 222?
I liked AA 2015, still use it in 223.Clean burning, measures nice because of short granules.
I used to use ball powders also in my 788. 748, blc2, 335 the normal stuff.I have not used AA 2200 but I bet it works well.
Originally Posted by doubleDs55
I liked AA 2015, still use it in 223.Clean burning, measures nice because of short granules.
I used to use ball powders also in my 788. 748, blc2, 335 the normal stuff.I have not used AA 2200 but I bet it works well.

I've stocked up on a lot of 2015 also... it works in the 17 Fireball real well and also on the 223 and 22.250 even...
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by doubleDs55

I've stocked up on a lot of 2015 also... it works in the 17 Fireball real well and also on the 223 and 22.250 even...

You're right and in 30-30 < 150gr bullet it shines, and 308 with light 125gr or even better 110gr v-max or Nosler BT.. Very versatile powder. Love the stuff.
Posted By: Benbo Re: My PERFECT 222 Rem load..... - 01/22/22
Interesting point brought up by MD. A few years ago I bought my mom a sako 222 to shoot coyotes out her back door. I didn’t have a lot of time to tinker with it but loaded up some 50blitz and some 322 but it never shot nearly as well as I thought it should have. But figured it was good enough for coyotes at 100 yards or so. I bought a bunch of the 50gr Sierra semi points when they discontinued those. Maybe I’ll try them and see if groups shrink. I’ll check the twist on it when I get home.
© 24hourcampfire